1 2 3
Lesley
Lesley SuperDork
7/20/11 9:44 p.m.

I'm so sorry.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 10:12 a.m.

This is my dog Porsche in her younger days pulling a cart. She used to pull a cart with kids in it during our Christmas dog rescue events. The kids loved getting a ride from a real sled dog and gave her lots of attention.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 10:15 a.m.

that's a great picture.. and a good memory.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 10:20 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: that's a great picture.. and a good memory.

I have some videos of her too from my youtube site too. I will post those.

I have taken the day off to be with her on her last day. The vet is coming at 5:30. I am paying a little extra to a company called Over the Rainbow. They come to your house to put down the dog in familiar surroundings. Since she can no longer walk, I dreaded having to put her on a blanket and carry her out to the car and into the 100 degree Dallas heat to haul her to the vet. Now I don't have to do this. Me and my other dogs will be in the room with her when she goes.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 10:24 a.m.

I think that is money well spent. I can only wish you luck.. been there, done that.. not looking forwards to doing it again

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 10:29 a.m.

Here is a video of all of the dogs I had in 2008. Porsche is the one at 2:58. You can see it here

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/21/11 12:09 p.m.

My thoughts are with you today. Having her home in the company of her pack will make her comfortable. Hope you are spending the day with your hands in her fur retelling stories of your adventures together.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x SuperDork
7/21/11 12:34 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote: I have some videos of her too from my youtube site too. I will post those. I have taken the day off to be with her on her last day. The vet is coming at 5:30. I am paying a little extra to a company called Over the Rainbow. They come to your house to put down the dog in familiar surroundings. Since she can no longer walk, I dreaded having to put her on a blanket and carry her out to the car and into the 100 degree Dallas heat to haul her to the vet. Now I don't have to do this. Me and my other dogs will be in the room with her when she goes.

You're doing all you can for her. When the time comes you should absolve yourself of any "what if" thoughts. She's had a great life with you and will pass on in the most comfortable and calming way possible.

Probably should plan on taking off tomorrow as well. To be kind to yourself and all.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/21/11 12:55 p.m.

Thats probably the best possible way to have to go...with friends and family near and in your favorite spot, just relaxing. Its a hard call to have to make, but its best for her, and really, youre making the most compassionate decision possible. Its great that she was able to touch so many peoples lives. From one dog owner to another, Im so sorry for your loss, and commend your strength!

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 3:22 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
Snowdoggie wrote: I have some videos of her too from my youtube site too. I will post those. I have taken the day off to be with her on her last day. The vet is coming at 5:30. I am paying a little extra to a company called Over the Rainbow. They come to your house to put down the dog in familiar surroundings. Since she can no longer walk, I dreaded having to put her on a blanket and carry her out to the car and into the 100 degree Dallas heat to haul her to the vet. Now I don't have to do this. Me and my other dogs will be in the room with her when she goes.
You're doing all you can for her. When the time comes you should absolve yourself of any "what if" thoughts. She's had a great life with you and will pass on in the most comfortable and calming way possible. Probably should plan on taking off tomorrow as well. To be kind to yourself and all.

I am still going over the what if. I am wondering if she might have a thyroid problem. I talked to another guy whose husky had this. He picked up a lot of weight late in life and was cured for a while. The last time she had problems walking about three years ago I went to the doggie accupuncturist and she cured her. The doggie MRI was going to be next. But now she's 14 years old.

The vet will be here at 5:30 and she is sleeping soundly. Sometimes she can sit up, but she can't walk.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 3:27 p.m.

personally.. we never had a huskey live to 14. Most of them seem to come down with problems between 10 and 12. That you have her all the way to 14 is amazing and a gift.

I just watched your video. Didn't realise that Porsche was all white. I only know of one breeder that managed that.. Sue Barnett here in South Jersey. She managed to breed all white Huskies.. at quite a loss of mental capability.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/21/11 4:17 p.m.
Snowdoggie wrote:
mad_machine wrote: that's a great picture.. and a good memory.
I have some videos of her too from my youtube site too. I will post those. I have taken the day off to be with her on her last day. The vet is coming at 5:30. I am paying a little extra to a company called Over the Rainbow. They come to your house to put down the dog in familiar surroundings. Since she can no longer walk, I dreaded having to put her on a blanket and carry her out to the car and into the 100 degree Dallas heat to haul her to the vet. Now I don't have to do this. Me and my other dogs will be in the room with her when she goes.

If it's any consolation, something like that is actually how I would like to go out. Sorry about the loss, man. It's a crime they don't live as long as we do.

I think I need to go give our two a scratch behind the ears..

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
7/21/11 4:19 p.m.

It has been two years now but I too had to make that decision, very hard. To make it even harder, it was the day before my own birthday. I had dug the well thought hole weeks earlier on my wife's family's property planning for the inevitable.
The point I want to make was that we too used a local vet who makes house calls. We created a peaceful situation and that worked great for a dog who hated going to a vet.
I still miss him today! He developed a tumor on his spine which took away his ability to use or control his back legs. Here he is about 8 months before the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZabdY6ermM

There is no easy way, just make it the best you can.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 4:21 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: personally.. we never had a huskey live to 14. Most of them seem to come down with problems between 10 and 12. That you have her all the way to 14 is amazing and a gift. I just watched your video. Didn't realise that Porsche was all white. I only know of one breeder that managed that.. Sue Barnett here in South Jersey. She managed to breed all white Huskies.. at quite a loss of mental capability.

Her mate, Balto, went to age 15 before he died, but I spent a lot of money on natural supplements before he died. I had him under the care of a Holistic Vet out in Plano that had written a couple of best selling books. I think I probably bought him an extra couple of years of life. He was a great dog though.

We have two white huskies in our rescue program right now and both of them came from the pound. Let me know if you want one.

http://www.texashuskyrescue.org/mp/dogs.aspx

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 5:19 p.m.

The vet is here right now. She says that Porsche is in pain. It will only be a few minutes now.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 5:19 p.m.

good luck

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie HalfDork
7/21/11 5:31 p.m.

She's gone.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
7/21/11 5:34 p.m.

Condolences. You gave her a kind one. That's more than a lot of animals ever get.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
7/21/11 5:35 p.m.

So sorry man, this is the first thread on GRM I ever teared up for..

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/21/11 5:55 p.m.

I am sorry... I can still remember feeling my mom's Bichon go... she was in too much of a mess to hold her.. so I did. It's not a fun feeling.. but you did what you could to make her last hours the best she could have. That counts for a lot!

How we treat animals reflects how we treat people..

N Sperlo
N Sperlo HalfDork
7/22/11 8:03 a.m.

Watching two dogs eat rats in one of our fields. Thanks for taking in dogs to give them better lives. I hope you keep it up. Feel better.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit Dork
7/22/11 9:54 a.m.

I am very sorry for your loss. You are doing a very important thing with your rescue and I thank you for that.

In the last 5 years or so we have had to put down a dog and a cat. It really does suck but when it comes to that point it is more about what is best for the pet than what us.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/17/18 9:18 a.m.

Rest in Peace 
Sonny La Follette 
Our son has passed and we would ask all who have lost a pet to welcome him . He was a avid boater and loved fast cars . He liked chasing cats never catching but loved the chase . He proudly was our ambassador at our shop . We are asking to make sure he is welcome . He is proceeded by his sister Cher La Follette Samson and Delila La Follette , Rascal and Samantha La Follette Gorbachev , Rodney,Petite Freeway Lace , Cheba La Follette ... If you can please give a word to your pets that he is a pretty kool guy and we would be forever great full.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro PowerDork
8/17/18 9:41 a.m.

You can learn everything you need to know about a person from how they treat an animal.

You're a good man Snowdoggie, sorry for your loss.

 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/17/18 11:45 a.m.

Somehow, through all of it, you found each other. And as long as you remember them, they are never really gone.

1 2 3
Our Preferred Partners
dL2RjLolB5shfB6emIQOGBCX8qcMp0dxXmajPLLyexh5ugMDwDvyqOSy4z4jdPXS