Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/2/08 2:24 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: OK, Salanis. Why don't you go ask Grandpa who he thinks put BHO where he is today. I would like to hear his answer.

He would answer that Obama got the nomination because he communicated better and got more donations.

I have not discussed with my grandfather the specifics of Obama's nomination. I don't think we will because of my grandfather's genuine understanding of the political process. I will try to relay some of his philosophy on the political process.

He does not believe nearly as much in the Corrupt Politician owned by Special Interests that most people do. Everyone on the hill is trying to schmooze legislators. It's not nearly as devious as what everyone thinks.

I recall my grandfather having several boxes of Cuban cigars (he was able to bring them in legally when he took trips to Cuba), even though he never smoked. He kept them to give as presents to legislators so that they'd remain on good grounds with him. I have gone with him to drop off basketball tickets to VP Gore's office (he was out, but his aid let me sit in the big chair behind the desk). He thinks that limiting how people can contribute money to politicians limits free speech. The money spent and gifts given don't guide legislation, they get your foot in the door and help legislators remember you. They maybe give you an opportunity to speak to a legislator for a period of time. The legislator then decides whether or not they agree with you or care what you have to say.

He believes that the biggest threat to our system of government, and the opportunity for the peoples' voices to be heard, is legislative controlled districting. Any time a district doesn't have a close vote, nobody's voice in that district matters. Congress-critters get to draw their own districts to keep from disrupting their own support base.

He does not believe in term limits or kicking politicians out arbitrarily. That does a disservice to the people served in those districts.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/2/08 3:08 p.m.
Salanis wrote: He does not believe in term limits or kicking politicians out arbitrarily. That does a disservice to the people served in those districts.

Now your Gramps and I disagree. Why?

The longest serving Senator was Strom Thurmond. He was in Congress since the Civil War (or so it seems). That meant he had clout which he used to push money the way of my poor little home state at the expense of other states just as needy. That's a crappy way to do government business. And it's the root of our problems with our government now. The problem has been recognized in the past and is why the Prez can serve only two terms. But the current crop in power don't want to change things because they would lose their perks and feeling of superiority over us little folk.

Kick the bastards out after two terms, say I.

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/2/08 3:21 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: OK, Salanis. Why don't you go ask Grandpa who he thinks put BHO where he is today. I would like to hear his answer.

Wait. Is your grandfather Senator John McCain?

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/2/08 3:26 p.m.

No. He's Congressman Jim Lloyd. He is not a current member of congress.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/2/08 4:02 p.m.

OK, so ask him who put BHO there next time you talk to him. No biggie, I'm just curious. Lots of people think someone put W where he is, Reagan had all of Bechtel behind him. Not sure about Uncle Bill except for the aledged drug money. So who has put BHO where he is? That turtle on a fence post thing was spot on. What's the source of his money? It ain't high school kids and college freshman. And yeah, he is a great speaker. No question about it. And I think his speech writers have gotten better as we go along and we seem to be getting less "change the changing change for change's sake" stuff.

And, I'm pretty sure that even current congressmen can't legally bring back Cuban cigars. Unless the law says "no one can import Cuban cigars except congressmen," which it might as they have exempted themselves of everything else they force on the rest of us.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/2/08 4:08 p.m.
Dr. Hess wrote: And, I'm pretty sure that even current congressmen can't legally bring back Cuban cigars. Unless the law says "no one can import Cuban cigars except congressmen," which it might as they have exempted themselves of everything else they force on the rest of us.

Most people can't legally travel to Cuba. When the U.S. Gov't sends you to Cuba for diplomatic reasons, that makes the game slightly different. Not sure if it was legal or not, but that's how he did it. I also don't know if he bought them or if they were gifts. I suspect the later. That might also make things slightly different.

Edit: I love how your question is "who put Obama there" and not "if someone put him there", but then you extend doubt to the other presidents you mentioned.

If I ask him that question he'd probably say, "What the hell are you talking about?" He doesn't see conspiracies the way you or many others (myself sometimes included) do.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/2/08 4:32 p.m.

Obama's speech on race may have been the best speech I have seen a politician give during my lifetime. He wrote that speech.

Obama has also received more small donations than any candidate in history. The last time I checked, around 50% of his funds came from small donors. (like students, and regular folks) Who put Obama in the position he is in now? Well, I'd say it was Obama, and his very savvy campaign managers. Well, and the media, but I think they like him because of his talent behind the mic. It makes for good TV.

I'm not convinced he is the second coming, but the man certainly has intellect, and charisma. Those traits brought him to where he is now more than any unseen force. IMHO

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/2/08 4:44 p.m.

No way man. There is a secret society of president picking people headed by the lord of darkness himself, George Sorros, who put BHO where he is today. He is simply just another tool in Sorros's evil plan to put an end to ... i dont know, but he wants to end it and the plan is evil!

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/2/08 4:45 p.m.
GlennS wrote: No way man. There is a secret society of president picking people headed by the lord of darkness himself, George Sorros, who put BHO where he is today. He is simply just another tool in Sorros's evil plan to put an end to ... i dont know, but he wants to end it and the plan is evil!

I heard it was The Stonecutters.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/2/08 5:49 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
GlennS wrote: No way man. There is a secret society of president picking people headed by the lord of darkness himself, George Sorros, who put BHO where he is today. He is simply just another tool in Sorros's evil plan to put an end to ... i dont know, but he wants to end it and the plan is evil!
I heard it was The Stonecutters.

they did make steve guttenburg a star!

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/2/08 5:58 p.m.

What, the Illuminati's not good enough for you anymore?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut New Reader
7/2/08 6:05 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: the man certainly has intellect, and charisma.

[Godwin's Law] So did Hitler! [/Godwin's Law]

Thread now poisoned, nothing to see here folks, move along.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/2/08 6:38 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8D5HaZOUu3CKUjFmaBvEryI61ZN3qmvi0jxqhowtv45xPlOq9H7msuvENd85B23