Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/23/17 1:44 p.m.

Does anybody know of a place where you can send CAD plans and have a part made? No one local to me has a CNC machine for one-off parts.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 1:47 p.m.

Emachineshop

Used them a couple of times years ago and was pleased.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/17 1:48 p.m.

3d? If 2d I will be available shortly. We are finally in the house and the CNC plasma is coming out real soon.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/23/17 1:51 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Little bit of both.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/23/17 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

How was the turnaround time?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 1:53 p.m.

Pretty quick from what I remember. I did good to remember the name.

I also have a local guy that does custom cnc work with the big machines.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/17 3:40 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: 3d? If 2d I will be available shortly. We are finally in the house and the CNC plasma is coming out real soon.

Really?? I'm going to need some trailer suspension parts cut out of 3/8 plate. I don't know about doing cad stuff. If I shoot you a dimensional drawing can you cut it from that?

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
3/23/17 7:40 p.m.

I can do 2D up to 3/4" thickness on our CNC plasma table.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
3/23/17 7:46 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Emachineshop Used them a couple of times years ago and was pleased.

Same here. Their own CAD tool is simple and easy to use as well and will do pricing as you go based on material and work required. Three weeks for turn-around because I didn't specify or pay for a rush.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
3/23/17 9:22 p.m.

firstcut
rapidcut
radpidmanufacturing

I would also bet $$ there are places local(ish) to you, you just aren't aware of them.

madpanda
madpanda Reader
3/23/17 10:17 p.m.

I second firstcut. Not great on tolerances and can't do certain complex geometries but you can get turn around as fast as one day. That's a big deal in my line of work so I've placed many many orders with them.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
3/24/17 6:10 a.m.

Beat the bushes a little...call local Metal suppliers and see what they say/who they use. Check your local craigslist.

The site plasmaspider has people willing to plasma cut parts and ship.

practicalmachinist.com has a forum you can list your job. Make sure you know what you want and read rules before posting.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/manufacturing-resource/

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
3/24/17 7:28 a.m.

Yeah, there's usually local places, but you kind of have to look for them. Typically a little hard to find. I have also used emachineshop for some waterjet stuff and was happy with them. I've always used local shops for 'real' machining though.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
3/25/17 8:38 a.m.

Im looking to have some coilover strut cases made. So far looks like rapid machining or emachinshop might be the best bet as they have cnc lathes.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/25/17 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Yep, can do. I can certainly make up some files.

travellering
travellering Reader
3/26/17 8:38 p.m.

To add to the local places list, try other places besides just those that list themselves as machine shops. I have worked in an injection mold shop, a commutator repair shop, and now work at an industrial automation shop. All had cnc mills, lathes, and fabrication capacities. Just last month we had a five axis water jet installed, and are eagerly accepting work to keep it running and make the payments. There may be a local source you may not have found in your initial searches. If you are local to East Tennessee, let me know and I can get you a quote.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
3/28/17 9:46 a.m.

I use BigBlueSaw for 2D stuff - they do water jet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XzV2sPlwdDZJAejCeqjnG9oKD1o0892LTlbEHxApIrh5LBx9LyHIuOrF9K09sV2h