1 2
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/14 10:28 a.m.

So I've been running the numbers and there's no way I can afford to travel for vacation this year, which just sucks too much, so I have an idea:

The grey areas are surfaces which I would auction off, with a reserve price (and subject to approval - but I think I have a decent sense of humor and I'll test that of airport personnel to a certain degree). I would walk through two airports with this suit on, both ways. It would be stowed during flight (or where otherwise required, like going through the security check). Oh, the colorful lines represent flashing electric glow sticks to attract attention for maximum ROI. The suit itself will cost under $100 for sure.

So people could put whatever they want on there for advertising or just for the lols. I would video-record as much as possible to maximize hilarity and prove audience exposure. Now does anyone have suggestions on what to use to arrange the online bidding? I think trying to do this with a typical crowdfunding platform would be like trying to use an inflatable mattress as a dinghy. It would work, but just barely and with lots of fiddling.

I think if I set up a Paypal account and use something like a common forum thread, I can approve graphics and accept bids. Seems like it might work right? And there could be a record of previous bids if anyone backs out at the last minute.

Panel count - 8 on the skirt, 4 on the hat, and the front of the T-shirt.

GameboyRMH
7/8/14 10:33 a.m.

Just thought of something - is there any epilepsy danger to the glow sticks? They change color at no less than 10Hz.

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
7/8/14 10:41 a.m.

Dude! Do the back of the T-shirt, too. Otherwise you're missing prime real estate.

GameboyRMH
7/8/14 10:43 a.m.

Nah thought of that. I usually use a backpack for a carry-on, and this time it will be more useful than ever with all this stuff strapped to me. I also like to hook stuff through the back of my backpack so nothing on there either.

GameboyRMH
7/8/14 2:21 p.m.

Well this is discouraging. Nobody has told me that this idea is stupid. How am I supposed to make money with a non-stupid idea these days!?

KatieSuddard
7/8/14 2:56 p.m.

Oh, worry not. This idea is stupid. Hence the "dude."

GameboyRMH
7/8/14 3:26 p.m.

Hmm so I'm on the right track, but the idea is clearly in need of refinement.

I think I know what the problem is though. It's not nearly stupid enough. In fact it almost makes sense...how awful.

I'll have to think of a new idea on my way home from work.

KatieSuddard
7/8/14 3:30 p.m.

Sell tattooed advertising space on the sides of a pig that you let loose in the airport. Bonus points if you sell to bbq places and ham sellers. A running, squealing pig draws a lot of attention. People will be watching it run and wonder why they have the sudden desire to eat at Heavenly Ham. When the time comes for your flight, summon the pig with a patented hog whistle and store it in the overhead bin. Is that stupid enough?

GameboyRMH
7/8/14 4:31 p.m.

That is brilliant(ly stupid) but not something I could really get away with - animals can't be brought into the aircraft cabin, even if they pass quarantine. That's what makes this difficult.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/14 6:50 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Panel count - 8 on the skirt, 4 on the hat, and the front of the T-shirt.

Call it a kilt. A guy in a skirt sounds silly.

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 9:05 a.m.

Gave myself a headache last night trying to think of something else. I'm stumped.

KatieSuddard
7/9/14 9:25 a.m.

Okay. Kill the pig before you get on the plane. When they ask why you have a dead pig, say it's your lunch.

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 9:32 a.m.

I'd feel bad killing a pig and not eating it, and I won't eat a raw pig.

KatieSuddard
7/9/14 9:34 a.m.

If you won't eat a raw pig, your commitment to a stupid plan is seriously lacking. Shame on you, there's a whole world of stupid antics you'll never experience.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/9/14 9:49 a.m.

Heck if someone can make over $10,000 on kick starter so they can make a bowl of potato salad...Originally they were only after $10.

EDIT: Damn make that nearly $60,000...it had been a couple days since I checked on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 5:34 p.m.

OK the sign-suit is the best idea I've got, it's either this or I admit defeat, so I'm going to try this. Tonight I'll do some prototyping and planning.

Unfortunately the bidding for these panels must start quite high...I'll put them at different values since obviously the ass panels aren't worth as much as the T-shirt or the front of the hat, but it's gonna be close to $80 on average, if I add two cheap shoulder spots, and assuming I don't have to reduce the number of panels in the sk...kilt, which I might.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/14 5:36 p.m.

Ass panels should be worth double, to the right market.

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 5:37 p.m.

Unfortunately I don't have that kind of ass

Edit: At least I don't think so, maybe I should call a gay friend and double-check?

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
7/9/14 5:40 p.m.

Who's going to know for sure under that cardboard skirt?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
7/9/14 5:40 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote: Heck if someone can make over $10,000 on kick starter so they can make a bowl of potato salad...Originally they were only after $10. EDIT: Damn make that nearly $60,000...it had been a couple days since I checked on it. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad

With all the stupid E36 M3 i've seen on Kickstarter recently, i feel like i could make a very good living without actually working from that site.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
7/9/14 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

Yeah apparently it is now up to over $70,000 since I made that post earlier today. .

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/14 6:16 p.m.

In reply to rebelgtp:

It says $42,000 when I click the link. Even so, I have no words...

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 6:18 p.m.

OK here's the price list in USD:

Hat Front 150

Hat Left 80

Hat Right 80

Hat Back 50

T-shirt 180

Shoulder Left 25

Shoulder Right 25

Kilt 1 o'clock 120

Kilt 2 o'clock 80

Kilt 4 o'clock 70

Kilt 5 o'clock 50

Kilt 7 o'clock 50

Kilt 8 o'clock 70

Kilt 10 o'clock 80

Kilt 11 o'clock 120

I figure that's just enough to cover airfare, suit construction and taxes (can't get away with doing this off the books!).

Gonna have to add surfaces somewhere for social media handles - for accounts I'll have to set up, ugh.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/9/14 7:11 p.m.

Just charge $1200 for one advertisement on this:

GameboyRMH
7/9/14 7:53 p.m.

Advertisers want people to look AT their ads, not AWAY FROM them

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Of4yZnfdpx3jB9GO3hLe4ao1KFKN4M2S7TvGzHvShz8zzZ9MYqkU2xBjEKuuqYzX