ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
6/17/08 4:23 p.m.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/breakingnews/plane061708.htm

planes land on highways?

Whats next, weird dorks who like birds?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
6/17/08 4:29 p.m.

Wonder how close that was to GRM HQ. I can just picture Scott, JG and Per looking at each other, sighing, and grabbing the bix Snap-on roll a way box from the garage.

"OK, try it now....."

"Wow, it worked, and it feels a little faster than before..."

"Yeah, we know...here's a free issue"

In next month's GRM: Lycoming Engines, secret rally powerplants!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/08 4:32 p.m.

nonononono no... See the post that Angy posted earlier was a direct correlation to this issue.

The Cessna was Corvair powered, It stalled in front of GRM WHQ, They called P, P subversively prompted a cool Corvair link so that GRM can do a Grassroots Motorsports "Aeroplot" edition filled with AC-VW and Corvair hop ups as well as multi supercharger applications.

MiatarPowar
MiatarPowar Reader
6/17/08 4:34 p.m.

Hah! That's awesome.

I definitely thought Ormond was a weird place when I was there in January, but I could never pinpoint why. Now I know.

amaff
amaff Reader
6/17/08 4:39 p.m.

wow, you don't see that every day. Kind of cool actually :)

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 4:44 p.m.

Freeways are just really long emergency runways with obstacles.

When learning to fly, you get taught that they're the perfect place to make emergency landings. Whenever possible, it's great to keep on in site. You have a readily available emergency landing spot, and a perfect landmark to follow. Plus we had a couple of airplanes that would run on MoGas.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/08 4:51 p.m.

I was just going to post something about that. I thought it was cool that we made cnn.com.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/17/08 4:52 p.m.

actually, our interstate highway system was designed to be emergancy/ military runways in a state of war. You can thank President Eisenhower for that.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/17/08 4:54 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: actually, our interstate highway system was designed to be emergancy/ military runways in a state of war. You can thank President Eisenhower for that.

Exactly.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Salanis
Salanis HalfDork
6/17/08 4:58 p.m.

Nah, they're just more common than airports, and thus more convenient in an emergency. Plus the landing speed of most airplanes is about the speed of traffic on a freeway.

It would just be a bit disturbing to see an airplane trying to land behind you on a freeway.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/17/08 6:13 p.m.

Aaaaaaaaahahahahaha that movie is awesome.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
6/17/08 6:22 p.m.

Emergency runways = good planning. One of the coolest things I have done in my life was to visit Easter Island in the middle of the South Pacific. Everyone knows the tiny island as the place where the big Moai heads carved from volcanic rock live, but once I got there I learned that NASA, in preperation for the shuttle program, had gone there and constructed a runway (nearly as long as the island is wide) in case a shuttle had to make an unscheduled landing.

If I was a shuttle Captain, that would make me feel a little better about getting back in one piece.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
6/17/08 11:16 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: Emergency runways = good planning. One of the coolest things I have done in my life was to visit Easter Island in the middle of the South Pacific. Everyone knows the tiny island as the place where the big Moai heads carved from volcanic rock live, but once I got there I learned that NASA, in preperation for the shuttle program, had gone there and constructed a runway (nearly as long as the island is wide) in case a shuttle had to make an unscheduled landing. If I was a shuttle Captain, that would make me feel a little better about getting back in one piece.

The easter island landing site was an emergency contingency back when NASA planned to launch shuttles from Vanderberg in addition to Cape Canaveral. In fact, the shuttle Enterprise was transferred to Vandy for fitting on the launch pad. Unlike the crawler system in Florida, shuttles stacks would be assembled in a shed that was rolled back from the pad. The Challenger disaster ended all plans to launch shuttles on the west coast.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RHzLHGIhcXvkr24IVn40FinFgDFfkqOvQLUSMHAilbNCMNCwdPGlD2mIQ64Bx64w