1 2
ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/29/08 6:23 a.m.

I know this will have limited acceptance here but...... I'm working on a research and business plan development project for my MBA. We are developing a project around dog clothing and accessories. (I didn't come up with the idea, but I'm in the group now.) I know I know.. Dog Clothing. I'm actually kind of glad I'm doing something that I know nothing about.

Enough explaining...

So If you've ever purchased clothing for your dog or will/have purchase/d dog clothing as a gift, Please fill out this web survey. You don't have to answer all of the questions, but it would be helpful if you could.

web survey

We're looking for this research data to be a solid part of our business plan development. Also if anyone could suggest a good dog owners forum, it would be appreciated.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/08 6:37 a.m.

I view dog clothing the same as elbow condoms. Useless unless you actually need one.

Anyone working at a parts counter could use elbow condoms, trust me.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/29/08 7:18 a.m.

I like dogs. I am allergic to them. To be honest, I don't really see the need for dog clothing except for owners to waste their money on to make their dogs cute.. But.. It's a school project and an interesting one.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/29/08 7:47 a.m.

Our greyhound need coats in the winter but they're all home made. You should see them shiver when they're outside without coats. Pretty pathetic....

Would my response to the survey be useful to you?

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/29/08 8:19 a.m.

Horray statistical outliers!

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
7/29/08 10:58 a.m.

Done. My wife tortures our Schnauzers around the holidays.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/29/08 11:10 a.m.

any info is needed..

Thanks all.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/29/08 11:14 a.m.

I did the survey, but I kinda doubt I was much help.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/29/08 11:18 a.m.

all data is good data...

If you buy them or not is needed to help develop sales projections etc...

thanks again

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/29/08 11:29 a.m.

Ohhh, Ohhh, Widgets not good enough for us, eh? Have to use Doggie Clothing, eh?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/29/08 12:00 p.m.

Survery complete.

I only own a winter "jacket" for my Bichon. She's wimpy. The Schnauzer doesn't have clothes.

That, and my wife bought some Christmas collars for them. Nothing too bad - no hats or sweaters - just color-appropriate collars.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/29/08 12:20 p.m.
stumpmj wrote: Our greyhound need coats in the winter but they're all home made. You should see them shiver when they're outside without coats. Pretty pathetic.... Would my response to the survey be useful to you?

yeah, im pretty sure a light breeze on a suny day could kill a greyhound.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/29/08 12:38 p.m.

Answered... for my girlfriend who subjects her dog to clothes. Actually, she does so primarily because the dog gets skin allergies.

She also has a reflective orange rain-jacket that never gets used.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/29/08 1:30 p.m.

After Duke passed, I was looking for Bubba. I checked the various Rhodesian Ridgeback breeders in the area. One insisted that her dogs couldn't handle being outside in the winter and she wouldn't sell you a dog unless you had a cage in the house for it. You had to "fill out an application." Another was almost as bad. I finally found Bubba from a family that hunted wild hogs with his mommy and daddy. He had some fleas (summer, outside) and I asked for some flea spray to avoid getting fleas in house when I got him home. They were like you're gonna let him in the house? I sprayed him down and the guy said "I'm surprised he didn't eat your arm off." Bubba was on his best behavior. It was like he was thinking: "I don't want to screw this up."

Here he is the night I brought him home:

His fur is very short, but very fine/dense. At 10 degrees F in the snow, I've seen him standing out there looking around, totally comfortable. Dr.Linda bought him a sweater. It lasted about 15 minutes. Cheyenne, a Black Mouth Cur, gets a sweater in winter. They last a couple weeks. Less with Bubba chewing on it.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/29/08 1:35 p.m.

We've got a very large Black Lab/Pit mix, and my girlfriend wants to get her a thin white t shirt, because we're taking her on a three day canoe/camping trip in two weeks and she's afraid the dog will get too hot, since she's mostly black. Other than that, I have no use for dog clothes.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/29/08 2:16 p.m.

If it's a lab mix, just toss it into the water. I've never met a dog with Lab genes that didn't like the water.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/29/08 2:25 p.m.

The lab would probably be hotter with the T shirt on than without. Yeah, toss her in the water. Then stand back.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/29/08 2:31 p.m.

Oh yeah, she loves water. I wasn't sure if the t-shirt would help or not, but the logic kinda makes sense. For the record, I voted to just let her jump in the water if she gets hot.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
7/29/08 7:24 p.m.

+1 on letting the dog just hop in the water when it gets hot. I don't really see a T shirt helping.

Dogs have gotten by for millions of years without clothes. Having said that, Pookie (our 3 legged peekapoo) gets trimmed pretty regularly and is an indoor dog. So I don't have a problem getting something to keep her warm in the winter on those long walks around the 'hood carrying the plastic bag.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/30/08 10:19 a.m.

The only thing a T-shirt might provide is some protection from sunburn, but only then on breeds that are prone to sunburn (my bichon gets burned, as do some of the white pitbulls, and probably others).

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter New Reader
7/30/08 11:05 p.m.

>> my half-lab half-pug, not so much.<<<<

edit: oops, I hit edit and not 'quote' ...sorry....-Per

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
7/31/08 10:03 a.m.

Well, your dog is obviously broken.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/2/08 7:02 a.m.

2 replies asking for fetish and/or s&M leather.

I love you guys.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/2/08 7:50 a.m.

Tried to fill it out, and itsaid survey closed.

I've got a lab mix that doesn't like swimming. He likes water until it reaches chest-level. He had a sweater the first winter we had him, because he was really skinny and got cold. He's since filled out and doesn't need it.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
8/2/08 9:09 a.m.

ya, we closed it last night, because we had a good bunch of responses and we need to get on with the work.

Thanks all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3yYeafxdKwxWY1hOhDbvezq0xJWG3FXRePJLmyhnQMGKePTxbyuXHV7wljSnAUyf