mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/7/20 10:24 p.m.

You’ve mentioned the OK onion burger a few times. Each time, I’ve thought “that looks tremendous”. So tonight I made my attempt at one. And it was delicious, a big hit with the wife. 

So so thank you... but I also have a request - any chance you’re able to find a copycat recipe/method that you think would most closely resemble the real thing? I found a few online and just did the easiest one, but am looking forward to experimenting. 

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/7/20 10:30 p.m.

Explain this please. I am interested. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
8/7/20 10:58 p.m.
Slippery (Forum Supporter) said:

Explain this please. I am interested. 

I think it was this post from the IHOP burger thread years ago that I remembered: 

What you all really need is to come to the 405 area code and get some legit Onion Burgers. Tuckers or Bunny's in OKC, or one of the 3 in El Reno about 30 miles west of downtown OKC.

In the depression/dust bowl era, onions were cheap and beef was expensive. So to make the beef go a bit further, local cafes/diners started adding onions. A gigantic heaping of sauteed onions on the grill with butter or oil then on a nice patty...................sure you're breath is horrible afterwards, but it's AMAZING. 

The traditional way to have it would be with only mustard and pickles, some people add cheese but it ruins it for me (and I love cheese). 

But he just mentioned it in Tim’s road trip thread which piqued my interest again. 

I did it like this:

1. Chop an onion very finely. Shoestring-esque. 
  2. Get a griddle hot, put a little bit of oil on. Griddle was hot enough the oil was just on the cusp of burning. Put a ball of ground beef (80/20) on the griddle
  3. Immediately smash the burger as thin as you can. Think steak and shake. 
  4. Salt and pepper the top. Could have done this to the ground beef before, but I forgot. 
  5. Take a heaping pile of onion, put them on top of the burger. No, more onion. Smash them into the burger.
  6. Flip the burger - it only cooked for maybe 2-4 minutes on the first side, but it’s got a nice seared crust by now. Smash again, put cheese on if desired, and the top bun. Onions are now directly on the griddle. 
  7. After another 2-4 minutes, scoop it all up an put it on the bottom bun. 

Next time i might do it on a cast iron pan that I could put the top on to kinda steam the buns a little. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/8/20 9:10 a.m.

George Motz, has a good quick video of onion burger technique......he has a bunch of other great videos for burger places around the country on YouTube as well

https://youtu.be/EMRxGN-E8LM

I have come around on putting cheese on them. And this is the place to go get them, forgive the corny local guy who does the video. 

https://youtu.be/jgyoAyiHA7k

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/8/20 9:13 a.m.

Oh and you're welcome, it's not uncommon for us to drive out there for lunch on Saturday and share onion burger and one of his Coney's with homemade chili and 'slaw.

Sounds weird, but it's amazing. It's a real loose vinegar-style slaw, cuts through the rich homemade chili excellently.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/8/20 9:44 a.m.

Dude. I made these on my griddle and didn't even know I was making Onion Burgers. 

i actually put the parties between parchment paper and used a rolling pin to get them thin. Also used vidalia onions because there local and the BEST. 

THIS IS POSSIBLY THE BEST BURGER IVE EVER EATEN  

You can't see it but this is a double and there are twice as many onions between the patties. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/8/20 2:04 p.m.

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Close, but smashing thinly sliced onions into the patty is part of the process.

Then you end up with onions of varying doneness.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/8/20 2:30 p.m.

The Cozy Inn in Salina KS has these type of burgers also..  at least I think that's what they are.

Doesn't White Castle have a terrible/awesome version of these burgers?

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/8/20 2:53 p.m.
z31maniac said:

In reply to ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) :

Close, but smashing thinly sliced onions into the patty is part of the process.

Then you end up with onions of varying doneness.

Ah, duly noted. Will do that next time

mtn (Forum Supporter)
8/8/20 9:50 p.m.

The last bun was gonna go bad, so we did it again for lunch today. Then we had enough beef for another couple, so we put them on bread - the bread we used was some 276 grain fiber bread which is not the right choice for this, but what we had. 

My thoughts: ultimately, very very little difference in the end result between the way I described and the way that George Motz did it. His way is slightly better for me because my spatula has slits, so meat sneaks through, but the onions are neater and easier to flip when you do ut it as I described. 

I want to get a better spatula, a griddle attachment for the grill so I can do more than one at a time, and I may experiment with rolling the meat out and having the patty’s ready to smash onions into as soon as they’re on the griddle  instead of smashing the patty into shape on the griddle. I also want to try it on plain white bread, but that is because the burger reminds me of a dive bar that serves their burgers on white bread with velveeta. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
8/8/20 9:54 p.m.
nocones said:

The Cozy Inn in Salina KS has these type of burgers also..  at least I think that's what they are.

White Castle is indeed awesome, but the burgers are totally different. Sliders are steamed, I think using dehydrated onions. These things are seared on one side, sorta seared/steamed on the other, way more onion, way messier. Or at least my interpretation of them is, I’ve never had the real thing. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/9/20 7:50 a.m.
mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
nocones said:

White Castle is indeed awesome, but the burgers are totally different. Sliders are steamed, I think using dehydrated onions. These things are seared on one side, sorta seared/steamed on the other, way more onion, way messier. Or at least my interpretation of them is, I’ve never had the real thing. 

Definitely messier, in a good way. I just keep a wad of napkins in one hand as I reveal myself for the heathen I am. Onions, cheese, and beef stuck in my beard.

And Ed from the 2nd video I shared is still there making magic on that old griddle. 

johndej
johndej Dork
8/12/20 9:15 a.m.

Noommmssss...... just made some of these last night using the Motz method. Fantastic!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/12/20 12:10 p.m.
johndej said:

Noommmssss...... just made some of these last night using the Motz method. Fantastic!

Check out some other stuff he's done on YouTube. I've been meaning to pick up his cookbook as well.

ojannen
ojannen Reader
8/12/20 3:37 p.m.

Onion smash burgers are the best.  It is one of the few times I pull out the mandolin.  If you get the onions thin enough, some of them caramelize while cooking.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fMsUdwqLRTpCrZhvSN52tXoXDz38ndjGrtO2Kd2vrzApm4KERmyaRGnuJ7hzt1N4