Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/15 10:47 p.m.

So, Janel wants a new gas stove. She doesn't second-guess my tool purchases and I don't mess with the kitchen decisions But, typical for her, she's decided she wants a particular mix of options that basically limit her to a stainless steel range. Our kitchen has all black appliances, a stainless stove would stick out like a sore thumb.

Am I nuts in thinking that I can simply pull off the stainless outer panels and shoot it with single-stage automotive paint? Scuff it, prime it, shoot it. The outer surfaces don't get that hot as they're insulated. This stove has stainless under the burners as well but I'd leave that alone.

I'm ignoring warranty and resale concerns here, I realize that.

daeman
daeman Reader
8/30/15 10:53 p.m.

If your going to the extent of pulling things apart, consider powder coating. I think it will wear a lot better than auto paint.

I'm not sure of the availability for you, but perhaps check out falcon ovens, they make some beautiful stuff and plenty of black options.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
8/30/15 10:53 p.m.

I don't see why not, crazy people successfully paint DeLoreans, so it should stick.

RealMiniParker
RealMiniParker UltraDork
8/31/15 7:13 a.m.

Vinyl wrap? Plasti-Dip? Reverseable options.

Although, a stainless range mixed with other black appliances wouldn't look out of place. Surely, the glass on the oven door looks black and the grates on the burners are likely black, or at least dark gray.

It's not like you're trying to add bisque in a kitchen full of avecado appliances.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/31/15 7:19 a.m.

I've used House of Kolor paint called "Adhereto" successfully. It helps anything stick to anything.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/31/15 10:28 a.m.

I'll take long-lived over reversible. SS would definitely be noticeable in this kitchen, although it does have a fairly substantial SS sink.

Powdercoat is an option. Around here, it's also got a long lead time which may cause some problem with SWMBO. Looks like surface prep is similar to paint - sand it well.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
8/31/15 10:50 a.m.

I also wonder if vinyl wrap would work. Oven temps would be the biggest concern for me. I don't think wrapping it would be too hard since it is a large flat door, but will it hold up to temps and being used? I don't know the answer to that question.

www.fellers.com for wrap options and products.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
8/31/15 11:09 a.m.

Rustoleum Appliance Paint. People who build AK's from scratch swear by it. Available in a spray bomb at Lowe's. Comes in black or white.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/31/15 12:20 p.m.

I just did the opposite. When I was selling my house I had mismatching appliances. So I got a cheap SS fridge to replace the white one and used SS contact paper on the black front dishwasher to make it match. It actually looks pretty good. However, it didn't stretch like vinyl so it was a bit tough to get on smoothly.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V98IRQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

Actual kitchen below.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/31/15 12:26 p.m.

Most stainless used for appliances have a coating on them (to avoid fingerprinting) so make sure that your coating is compatible with that.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/31/15 12:57 p.m.

I think the appliance paint is the ticket. Adam Carolla has mentioned several times that he painted his appliances with car paint and it holds up well.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
57xB259RZgGNRT3KdNNn7ExT1EqcYI7nKrZ5GP2FiWuzwjQm78vVLSseZdIR7LO1