16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/23/12 11:01 a.m.

How can I make Pandora suck less. My flash player and firefox are up to date. The computer is kinda old, but has a decent processor and 2 gigs of ram. It plays fine, as long as I'm not doing ANYTHING ELSE WITH FIREFOX. Seriously, just typing this in another tab it gets super choppy. Just while I'm typing though, if I stop to collect my thoughts it plays fine, but gets choppy as soon as I start typing again.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/23/12 11:10 a.m.

Open up a second internet browser that isn't firefox. Have pandora in one and surf in the other (IE/Opera/Chrome/...). What happens then?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/12 11:10 a.m.

What Task Manager show when playing?

Tried Google Chrome?

e_pie
e_pie Reader
5/23/12 11:21 a.m.

That's odd, I'd try a different browser.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/23/12 11:21 a.m.
RossD wrote: Open up a second internet browser that isn't firefox. Have pandora in one and surf in the other (IE/Opera/Chrome/...). What happens then?

It works pretty well. I opened IE to respond and it's playing almost seamlessly. The only problem is I hate IE, and I don't have Chrome on this machine (I'm at work). I guess I could close pandora and restart it in IE, then browse with FF.

m4ff3w wrote: What Task Manager show when playing? Tried Google Chrome?

With Pandora running, two work related tabs open, and me browsing GRM, cpu usage was bouncing around between 60% and 100%. Opening IE and typing out this response while Pandora is running on FF cpu usage is bouncing between 4%-25%. Is pandora that much of a resource hog? Even if it is, I would think that running an extra program on top of it all would cause cpu usage to go up, not down. What's up with that?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
5/23/12 11:36 a.m.

2 words: Transistor Radio

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/23/12 11:53 a.m.

It does it that with both Chrome and Firefox on my netbook at home. I leave one Chrome window in the background with Pandora playing and open a second instance of Chrome to browse in.

Oddly enough IE has no issues with Pandora as a tab and browsing in another. Could this be the one thing IE does better than FF/Chrome?

m4ff3w
5/23/12 12:06 p.m.

Sounds like a problem with the flash plugin for FF.

m4ff3w
5/23/12 12:13 p.m.

I'm at 4% CPU (while burning a DVD and having some remote sessions open) while playing Pandora in FF. Chrome is lower at 1%.

I am running a quad core i7 on my laptop though.

Try clearing the Flash player cache.

http://blog.pandora.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=25&tag=Pandora%20plug-in%20issues&limit=20

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/12 1:51 p.m.

Right now Pandora is playing me some vintage Van Halen, so I'm cool with that.

16vCorey
16vCorey UberDork
5/23/12 1:54 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: I'm at 4% CPU (while burning a DVD and having some remote sessions open) while playing Pandora in FF. Chrome is lower at 1%. I am running a quad core i7 on my laptop though. Try clearing the Flash player cache. http://blog.pandora.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?blog_id=25&tag=Pandora%20plug-in%20issues&limit=20

Just did that. It helped quite a bit, but still cutting out every now and then. I guess I'll just have to run it in a separate browser from no on. CPU usage has gone down too, but still spikes up there pretty high when using everything in the same browser (FF).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/23/12 1:58 p.m.

My Pandora can be a little choppy at home. Since I don't have problems here at the office with the same computer, I'm thinking it's my internet connection.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/23/12 2:04 p.m.

It's likely the browser. It chops to hell and back on my PS3 at home, but is fine on the phones, tablet, or laptop on the same exact connection.

It's also fine on my phone that struggles to hit 300kbps download speeds on a 3G network.

FF has been getting bloated lately. Try uninstalling it and re-installing the new version.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i4XfR2Umd78qbfHMZsiVKqtpWRFtuEBJk3hi2WJ6TIdEq0UupH6BnRAB8Zf8oOMY