1 2 3
fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/20/18 6:30 p.m.

C&P from their site:

Photobucket has a new management team that wants to do the right thing. We are committed to earning back your trust and offering comprehensive and flexible image storage and hosting options for our customers. We’ve taken your feedback and made some changes to our pricing model that allows us to offer competitively priced plans that fit the needs of all of our customers.

For a limited time, we are offering a new, competitive subscription package that includes ad-free storage and 3rd party image hosting for just $1.99 per month, or $19.99 per year - which is 95 percent less than the previous pricing model. A free subscription option will still be available to customers who do not require 3rd party image hosting.

https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004314254-Welcome-to-the-New-Photobucket-

Like that cheating girl friend who has 'seen the light' and wants to come back.

berkeley YOU

Sorry if repost

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
5/20/18 6:45 p.m.

Never used them before the debacle and never will.

Carson
Carson SuperDork
5/20/18 6:52 p.m.

It would be rad if they were able to fix all the pre-fiasco build threads across the internet that are difficult and less-fun to read without pictures as a "sorry."

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/20/18 6:58 p.m.

Screw them. Let em bleed out.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
5/20/18 7:09 p.m.

Are they going to refund the poor chumps who paid the extortionist fees?

paranoid_android
paranoid_android UltraDork
5/20/18 7:20 p.m.

I’m firmly in the “they can sit on it” camp.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/20/18 7:23 p.m.

Yea... That's gonna be a hard pass from me. 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
5/20/18 7:25 p.m.

I might pay the 19 bucks a year. I’ve got a lot of massive build threads on other boards that’s went dead during the debacle.  I’d like to restore them because a lot of people used them for reference. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/18 7:29 p.m.

I still have 1000s of pictures on there and still use it. But, I've had a paid sub for a bunch of years and didn't run into the issues the free accounts ran into. 

The biggest problem now is there are several forums I frequent that no longer allow images to be linked from them. 

They have a long uphill battle to fight to get back into the good graces of most of the internet. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/20/18 8:04 p.m.

If they really are listening to customer feedback then all I can hope is they soon will follow my feedback and actually f-off and die

I would have paid the $20 if that had been their opening offer instead of $400. Now...Suck it! 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/20/18 8:06 p.m.

berkeley em.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
5/20/18 8:07 p.m.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
5/20/18 8:16 p.m.

I *think* they have restored all pics on various forums. I have the extension for Chrome so don't know except I saw a few threads on my phone (no extension) that worked where previously they didn't.

Photobucket is apparently 10 people working in a collective type office space...not some big conglomerate.

The guy made a horrible decision and is no longer there.

I was miffed when it all went down, but never understood the "I pulled all my pics and deleted my account" response.

I figured 'abandoning' my pics on their server (They kept them there) was a worse punishment and required no action on my part :)

link to recent article

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/20/18 8:27 p.m.

Let it burn.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/20/18 8:39 p.m.

I cycled back to a saved, old thread of mine with lots of old photobucket  and the images are restored. Surprised 

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
5/20/18 8:42 p.m.

I don’t want photobucket to fail. I want the pictures to work again. If it costs me a few bucks, so be it. Not 400 dollars of course, but I used to pay 50 per year for premium service and never complained. Some of my build threads on other boards were in the very highest number of views (and it’s a biiig board). I did countless step by step FAQ articles. 15+ years of contributing thousand upon thousands of images to help people. A lot of people used my threads for reference. If photobucket fails, all those people suffer the loss of information. 

Im not so selfish as to say Photobucket should die and makes hundreds of thousands of people suffer the loss of information that I worked a dozen years to help them with. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/18 9:51 p.m.

I don;t want them to die, but I do think they should be picked apart and studied in business schools across the country as how NOT to run a company

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/18 10:31 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

Wow, yeah mine are visible now too. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/18 11:04 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to John Welsh :

Wow, yeah mine are visible now too. 

Me three.

I'd happily start using mine again since it was easier than Flickr, but honestly I just upload straight to grm now...

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/20/18 11:28 p.m.

In reply to fasted58 :

Since it wasn't quoted, I was in Literal Mode for a second and thought you'd gotten a job there and were, well, speaking on your own/their own behalf. It was a little surreal.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/20/18 11:40 p.m.
Ransom said:

In reply to fasted58 :

Since it wasn't quoted, I was in Literal Mode for a second and thought you'd gotten a job there and were, well, speaking on your own/their own behalf. It was a little surreal.

Oh hell no. Finally downloaded all my E36 M3 (they didn't make it easy but mighta been the mass exodus at the time). Ain't lookin' back, in a better place now w/ SmugMug, been pretty content there.

edit: so I kinda fixed the OP so maybe no misunderstanding

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/21/18 6:40 a.m.

The images in the early pages of the hotlink thread have returned! This is stuff from 2010. This is EIGHT YEARS AGO. 

This does however then beg the question, "where is pole vault girl , now?"   A: Still pole vaulting at the age of 27.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
5/21/18 9:37 a.m.

I dunno, while I was upset with them with their extortionist pricing for 3rd party linking, I always said I was willing to pay a reasonable sum for the service.  $400/year wasn't a reasonable sum given I was using all of 2GB of their space and only 3rd party hosting some of those pictures.

My LSx 951 swap threads on the 944 Hybrids Forum and on Rennlist are huge, photo heavy threads and I have a bunch of DIY threads on other forums too.  There was no way I was going to repopulate the pictures in a 100 page thread.

I went and checked my LS 951 thread on Rennlist and all the pics are back.  I just paid the $20 to Photobucket, it's a reasonable amount.

Glad to see they came to their senses and decided to "unbreak" the internet.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/21/18 11:01 a.m.

My fav thread ever has most of its pics back. Yay!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/21/18 11:18 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I clicked over to see what your favorite thread was. I will not be clicking back there as my will is not strong enough.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
omGgyBSHBKU7AtHhdGVGHhiHZeKKZgfYItykOYrbDUD0jcdZ6QhPMbDQ9bedhGjv