1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21
Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
1/24/19 10:50 a.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

That's why I need pictures, so I can show them I'm not insane.  I expect this to result in them telling me that just because some random person on the internet is insane doesn't give me the right to be. 

I actually texted my buddy after I saw your pic to see if anyone got any pictures of the time we towed his suburban home after he snapped his front axle in half.  We didn't have a trailer big enough and couldn't flat tow it since the front end was destroyed so we jacked it up and set the front end on the back of the trailer with the rear tires still on the ground.  It didn't like to turn except when you were trying to go straight and with ALL the weight behind the axle anything over ~8 mph resulted in a death sway.  We did make it the ~5 miles back to his house but I'm pretty sure everyone needed a change of underwear afterwards.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/19 11:18 a.m.

I'll post some when I get on my phone. I've learned from this thread that you guys like rust. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
1/24/19 11:26 a.m.

My recent Mopar acquisition making its way home.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/24/19 11:35 a.m.

From about half an hour ago. When the daily driven project reminded me daily driven projects are a bad idea.

The rollback is way less majestic than an open trailer. Also that reminds me this thread needs more ramp truck.

beanco
beanco Reader
1/24/19 11:49 a.m.

these two are currently being welded togethersmiley

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/24/19 11:50 a.m.
Patrick said:

Found one more

Is it bad when i barely notice a car because im too busy ogling floater axles?

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/24/19 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Ooooh- stacked rectangular headlights....

*experiences sudden weakness in the knees*

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork

A tow rig in search of a project....

beanco
beanco Reader

bought this as is at auction, nothing good in bed, all junk

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/24/19 11:57 a.m.
beanco said:

What do you mean all junk? There are several front airdams in there.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/24/19 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Dead_Sled :

Reminds me of the time I towed an old military Dodge Powerwagon home behind a compact pickup.  In order to keep the tongue weight from lifting the front wheels of the pickup off the ground, the Powerwagon was so far back on the trailer that anything over 40 mph started an uncontrollable death sway.  Too bad I don't have any pictorial evidence.

Another time I was towing a 60's Continental home and the trailer got a flat.  It was around 10 o'clock at night, about 10 miles from home, pouring rain like a motherberkeleyer, and the road home was a deserted 2 lane road in rural upstate SC.  I had no spare tire.  So I did what any sane, rational, cautious person would do.

Dragged that puppy home on the rim.   

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/24/19 12:00 p.m.

My most recent

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
1/24/19 12:08 p.m.

The "FarmAll-ways needs something" or "International house of broken"

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
1/24/19 12:25 p.m.
gearheadmb said:
beanco said:

What do you mean all junk? There are several front airdams in there.

I got a couple of tomato cages from that pile, so not all junk

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
1/27/19 8:55 a.m.

I "won" this on ebay for $128, no title, lived it's life in Central Wisconsin and Minnesota, all rust, 100% of the car needed restoration. It sat in a farmers field for close to five years.  

My wife questions me when I come home with it and tells me to take it the junkyard.  I ended up parting it out for close to $2,000 mainly on ebay and the wife was shocked especially when the mint megaphone muffler grosses $156.  The wheels were sold a month ago for $50.  

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/27/19 9:18 a.m.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/54%20Hudson%20Hornet/006.jpg.html][/URL]

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/27/19 9:37 a.m.

[URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/67%20Duece%20Coupe/MVC-006F.jpg.html][/URL]

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
1/27/19 9:43 a.m.

[URL=http://s240.photobucket.com/user/NOTATA/media/81%20Malibu/Yellow81Malibu005.jpg.html][/URL]

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
1/27/19 11:05 a.m.

I've learned from this thread, GRM needs to do an article on how to secure a car to a trailer.  Not trying to be judgey, just want everyone to be safe.

Worst I've witnessed in recent memory, was a lifted early '90s F150, on a trailer, "secured" with 4 ratchet straps from the front and rear bumpers.  As it was pulled through the campground, every bump and pot hole, compressed its suspension, with the ratchet straps going from a few inches of slack, to super tight.  The scary thing is, I know the steep, windy, switch back, mountain road that load had just driven down to get to the campground. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/19 11:18 a.m.

In reply to bigdaddylee82 :

Stampie’s first car hauling pictures were enough to scare most everyone into buying real straps.  

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
1/27/19 12:01 p.m.

Wheel straps are on my grocery list. I'm tried or crawling up under a car on a muddy trailer to find a place to hook a chain to just so the chain can slip and I have to stop and tighten it again a few miles later. Not that you shouldn't stop and recheck tie downs anyway.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
1/27/19 12:16 p.m.

Not a project car - but the one time it (so far) that it left me stranded - dead HEI;

photo E7409176-9603-4A6E-A10C-242242C58967_zpsq67gdno0.jpg

rico750sxi_2
rico750sxi_2 New Reader
1/27/19 1:17 p.m.

Day I brought this $300 gem home to be my DD, and 60 days later when I junked it. Too many little issues and my mother in law sold me her Sonata for $500. 

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/27/19 3:08 p.m.

This thread gives me trailer envy

lotusseven7
lotusseven7 Reader
1/27/19 4:32 p.m.

Saying “good bye” to an old friend.......

And “hello” to a new one!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VdPoCouCSNOMAWHa5MmHXp3hKqEEWdIo4GLPeEipCYVkLANwxV9OssICkCFoOxVn