1 2 3
bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/10/12 7:01 a.m.

Since guns seem to be the OT Topic-o-the-month.

I currently do not own a gun. Been shooting 3-4 times but its been at least 6 years. Looking to get into it more as a hobby then anything else. Now that DC is finally getting somewhat forced to make it actually reasonably possible for the average person to legally own a handgun, its time.

I was thinking a semi-auto .22 pistol would be a fun and economical place to start. I know the fiance is very curious about shooting as well. I see a rifle (thanks mosin-nagant thread) and shotgun in the picture eventually, but you can't really shoot those at an indoor range usually, right? For logistical reasons of where we live, thats where we need to start.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/10/12 7:32 a.m.

The Ruger 22 auto pistols are very popular. A bit pricey, but based on my observations (I don't own one), they are reliable. Browning Buckmarks also are good, based on my observations. I have a Stoger arms 22 Luger. It is a blast to shoot. I'm not sure they still make them. High Standard made a damn fine pistol. Maybe you should specify a price range.

An inexpensive starter 22 rifle would be the Ruger 1022.

mpolans
mpolans New Reader
3/10/12 7:32 a.m.

Ruger Mark II is a classic that is usually well priced, especially now that its successor, the Mark III is out (which doesn't really offer too many benefits). IIRC they made one with a 6-7/8" barrel. A handgun with a longer sight radius (distance between front and rear sights) is usually easier to shoot accurately.

I would also consider a GSG 1911. It mimics a full size 1911, but in .22.

Kudos for thinking of starting with a .22! Lots of folks just jump to bigger centerfire guns right from the start and spend a lot of money on the more expensive ammo while developing bad habits. The cheaper, lower recoiling .22 is much better for starting out. I'd suggest checking out the NRA range out in Fairfax as it is an excellent facility. You might be able to ask around for a reference to an instructor from them. I can't remember the number for the range, but I think the operator number is 703-267-1000.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
3/10/12 7:40 a.m.

.22's are great fun and won't put you in the poorhouse. I've got a Browning Buckmark pistol and can highly recommend it. The Ruger .22 pistols are also excellent.

I also own a Ruger 10/22 rifle and can say nothing bad about it.

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
3/10/12 7:44 a.m.

Another vote here for Ruger's excellent(and cheap!) target .22s. Loads of fun for short money.

bluej
3/10/12 7:46 a.m.

Pricepoint: would like to keep it under or at $300 to start (just the gun price). Looked at buds guns and that seemed to offer more than a few options.

I guess something you can upgrade/modify sounds interesting (hey, i'm a grm'er) but I don't know how realistic it is to actually do that.

did not know about the range in ffx. Thats great to know. Thanks!

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/10/12 8:08 a.m.

Only advice here is make sure the indoor range is ventilated and watch how the range masters handle their range. If it looks unsafe it probably is.

A 3rd gen Glock 19 might do it for you. The pistol is 9mm but you can put a 22LR conversion on it for 150 or less. Plus the added advantage of being able to change back to 9mm.

Kimber makes a nice 1911 style rimfire, but you're talking serious money there for a new one. The colt .22lr would be a cheaper way to go, but there's nothing like shooting a Kimber.

The MK series from Ruger are pretty bulletproof, albeit goofy looking, but are fun pistols and very reliable. The 10/22's can't be beat though, its the erector set of guns.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
3/10/12 9:02 a.m.

Get a Ruger MkII or MkIII. Find a club near you that shoots Steel Challenge matches. Enjoy your new all-consuming hobby.

A Smith & Wesson 22A is the ONLY other .22 pistol you should even consider, unless you want to a a .22 conversion on a 1911. But then you're looking at major bucks. Money spent on a Ruger will not be wasted.

jg

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
3/10/12 9:40 a.m.

For a plinker .22 pistol, you might check out the Walther P22. Not terribly accurate but fun and cool. Not a target 22.

I have a savage 22 semi auto rifle. Can't remember the model, FS I think? $120 at Walmart. Plastic furniture, but very nice shooter for the money.

stroker
stroker HalfDork
3/10/12 9:51 a.m.

I'm going to have to pipe up for the wheelgun guys, here. The 617 S&W with a 4" or 6" barrel is a pretty good all around .22. I was hitting 3x5 index cards at 50 yards (single action) freehand with mine, back when I had eyeballs.

American Rifleman had an article about a new "2/3 Scale" 1911 made by Browning chambered for 22 Long Rifle. Dunno what the cost would be (didn't bother to look) but that might be something to consider, too.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/10/12 10:20 a.m.

I've got a browning buckmark camper special that hit the $200 mark new. I love the way it shoots. Mrs. Oldtin prefers the ruger mk III. Also have a ruger 1022 for plinking. Mostly what I like is that I can shoot for about as long as I care to and still haven't put a dent in the wallet.

Oh yeah, the mosin nagant thread got me. Ordered one of those earlier this week.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
3/10/12 10:25 a.m.

Beretta has a target 22 that looks like it could some futuristic laser gun, pretty good reviews on it. Similar out of the box accuracy as the ruger mk series

nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
3/10/12 10:27 a.m.
mattmacklind wrote: For a plinker .22 pistol, you might check out the Walther P22. Not terribly accurate but fun and cool. Not a target 22.

For a .22, the P22 also looks pretty badass and is extremely comfortable to hold. They're not that cheap new, but I've seen some excellent deals on used models.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/12 11:08 a.m.

Another vote for the Ruger Mk II and III. They're a lot of fun and have a huge aftermarket. They're a bitch to field strip the first few times, but once you get used to it, it will become second nature. I have more fun shooting .22s than just about anything else.

and Hess: I am jealous. I'd love to find a nice Stoeger Luger.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/10/12 11:26 a.m.

Bersa Thunder .22 Inexpensive, reliable and easy to maintain.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/10/12 11:28 a.m.

Put me down for the Ruger Mark2 for a pistol. The Ruger 10/22 is also my absolute favorite rifle. On the negative side: Don't get a Sig "Mosquito" it's really god awful.

-Bill

PS Learn from me: If you bring home a Ruger 10/22 without your wife's permission DONT say "Oh that? well, that's for you!" (It may spare you a night in the dog house, but it's short term gain long term loss)

bluej
3/10/12 11:59 a.m.

some more thoughts:

-Is the difference between the different makes .22 1911's a function of clearances/quality or are there other things? the puma/chiawhatevers are cheap. I had a 1911 imitation air pistol that I used to enjoy shooting the feathered darts from at a dart board in our basement. This is on the short list.

-so is the S&W.

-yeah, so what is the deal with that goofy looking beretta? I feel like it came from a video game. anyone here actually have any exprience with one?

-any comment on an M22? http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/61745/ISSC+M111003+M22DT+22LR+5.5%22+10RD+DUO

-whats up with the ruger sr-22?

I'm planning to try as many as I can but I always trust the GRM community for a balance of of opinion.

I actually got a Groupon (hah!) for an indoor range near my work in Silver Spring (splitting it with a co-worker). Figured it was a good way to start. Gilberts in Rockville. Anyone here been?

Oh yeah, where's the best place to look at used? I like the idea of maybe saving some money but don't know that I trust myself to know what to look for/avoid.

bluej
3/10/12 12:00 p.m.

Bill, that's funny about your wife. Definitely hoping this is a hobby we can share.

Woody
3/10/12 12:09 p.m.

Go to the range and try a few rental guns to see what you like.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/10/12 12:43 p.m.

What Woody said. It comes down to preference. I didn't care for the Beretta U22 Buck Rodgers underwater laser gun personally, though I opt heavily on the side of 1911's. Any good range will have a few to test, sometimes they'll even sell you the rental at a pretty substantial discount.

Check with NRA-ILA about the laws in DC I know that they've been pretty rapidly changing lately and even being a dealer in the DC area is pretty hard so there's a substantial markup there on most guns.

Join the NRA, register for one of their courses in the area. The instructors are very good and for new gun owners it will teach you a lot.

Also the S&W wheel guns can be had pretty cheaply and they're a great way to teach people to shoot. Hand guns are just like cars, you can spend as little or as much as you want, just ask the Ed Brown custom shop for a quote, but it reaches a point of diminishing returns.

bluej
3/10/12 12:55 p.m.
Woody wrote: Go to the range and try a few rental guns to see what you like.

that's the plan.

I've been researching the laws here before I posted. basically, rifle/shotgun ok to but need to go through the only FFL in town ($125 fee) for handguns on top of the reg. fee. oy. they just changed the law to require less classroom/range time to make it more reasonable.

pilotbraden
pilotbraden Dork
3/10/12 1:08 p.m.

I bought a Ruger MK II in 1994. It has a 5.5 inch bull barrel. It is very accurate and reliable. I estimate that it has had 50,000- 100,000 rounds fired through it. There are 5-10 weekends per year that 1,000 -2,000 rounds leave the muzzle.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
3/10/12 4:33 p.m.

Yeah, Woody, that Stoeger is phun. Reasonably accurate, fairly reliable with the right ammo (likes cheap stuff). There are 2 variations (probably more). One has an aluminum frame and one has a cast iron frame. I have the cast iron frame. With the added mass of the cast iron, recoil is virtually non-existent. It's my usual go-to gun for "fixing" the 'coons and 'possum.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
3/10/12 4:59 p.m.
Strizzo wrote: Beretta has a target 22 that looks like it could some futuristic laser gun, pretty good reviews on it. Similar out of the box accuracy as the ruger mk series

I had a Beretta U22 Neos with the 6" barrel and blue inlays in the grip. I traded it in recently for a larger bore pistol since I stopped using it. I don't recall ever having any problems with it except it might look like a toy to someone. I don't recall any mechanical problems. I actually had a red dot on it for a while.

Woody
3/10/12 7:07 p.m.

I generally prefer Mk II Rugers to the Mk III, but many of the Mk IIIs come pre-drilled for a top rail, which really opens up your choice of sights and optics.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sLeXzuaws6PIIUKwSmUsReHziwirnxehDMDbnWuVHZdAa6ut4CGh4kQDQpjYYiLr