1 2 3
rmarkc
rmarkc Reader
3/12/12 8:03 p.m.

Be warned that guns are as additive as cars. It is a slippery slope and a .22 plinker is a gateway gun. Just like with cars, GRM is a bunch of enablers.

I just got a Mosin (thanks to the thread here) and now I have a Chinese M53 on order along with a Taurus .357 revolver and a S&W M&P22.

Guns are like Lays potato chips, you can't stop at just one.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/14/12 6:29 a.m.

been doing some research to narrow the "must try" list and realized I'm gravitating more towards a "tactical" style of pistol. This had me reading up about the sig p220/6/9 and how they can convert up and down from rimfire to centerfire so easily. what other larger caliber centerfire guns are there with similar functionality? 1911, glock, ...? I know I need to just try stuff but part of the reason for asking now is to help decide what guns to look for at the range when I go.

I can up the budget some but trying to not go too much over $400 for the initial purchase.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
3/14/12 8:12 a.m.

I suggest 2 guns versus 1 convertible gun. The sig convertible thing is primarily that way because European gun laws are so terribly restrictive that owning 2 guns is virtually cost prohibitive.

There's a tacti-cool 22 out now. Looks like all the big boy's guns but shoots 22. Has the 1913 rails so you can add a flashlight and the 3 cup coffee maker attachment, etc. Can't remember the maker/model. Maybe Springfield had it, like the XD. Pick up a Shotgun News and look at the pictures. Someone will be selling it. J&G might have it online if you look at their handgun selection in 22.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
3/14/12 9:39 a.m.

In reply to bluej:

Check here:

http://www.advantagearms.com/faqs.php

(Usual not affiliated comments go here)

Try a Glock out, they have a range of conversion kits for .38, 9mm, and 45s, you'll know in seconds if its right for you or not as people with medium or smallish hands feel like they're gripping a 2x4.

They've also got some conversions for 1911s which will fit on any standard A1 frame.

FWIW I like that SIG P220. There isn't as much of an aftermarket following for them as there is a Glock or a 1911 though.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BElxdvCvGG9BR9YH7Ghyqwkdoh8C8G3KBVlCLCFhym2S8VUPwqhtNvBGJgRh2n0N