1 2
No Time
No Time UltraDork
9/25/22 11:58 a.m.

My commute will be increasing from 30 minutes to approx 60, so I want to find me a way to put the time to good use. Im thinking audiobooks and podcasts can be a good way to remove some monotony and maybe learn something. 

In addition to the GRM podcast and Track walking, what other podcasts have you found interesting, educational, entertaining, or all three?

I have accounts with audible and am on the apple ecosystem if that makes a difference. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
9/25/22 12:01 p.m.

Dinner With Racers

wae
wae PowerDork
9/25/22 12:05 p.m.

Hardcore History

The Parc Ferme (if you are or wish to be interested in F1.  And occasionally MotoGP.  And sometimes IMSA.  And occasionally wine and cheese pairings)

Sword and Scale

Freakanomics

Planet Money

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/22 12:22 p.m.

High Performance Academy's "Tuned In"

Marketplace (and they have a few others; Make Me Smart, Marketplace Tech...)

Your Data Driven from Samir Abid has been usually good and occasionally amazing depending on who he's talking to

Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets podcast

The Race has podcasts on F1, a separate F1 Tech podcast, and a MotoGP podcast

The Paddock Pass podcast with David Emmett and company is my favorite MotoGP coverage

The Milk Street podcast for cooking

Fine Woodworking's Shop Talk Live (if you like that sort of thing)

The Ask A Cyling Coach podcast from TrainerRoad is mostly good (if you like that sort of thing). Sometimes it gets a little on my nerves, but it's fun when they go down some of the phsyiological and nutritional rabbit holes.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/22 12:33 p.m.

Joe Rogan experience. 1600+ episodes on spotify, queue up the people you like or people in fields you want to know more about.

2 bears 1 cave with Bert Kreischer and Tom Segura, in the same vane the Bertcast is pretty decent. 

Steve Os podcast is pretty good.

Stone cold broken skull sessions is good if you're into wrestling or wrestling history at all. Foley is Pod is another good one wrestling one, although it's just Mick talking for hours and gets kinda old. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/25/22 12:58 p.m.

Piggybacking on Rico's post. Find the episode with Jake "The Snake" Roberts. Doesn't matter if you are an old school wrestling fan. His story is funny, sad, tragic,  and uplifting. Its 2 and a half hours long and I've listened to it at least 4 times.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/25/22 1:11 p.m.

Brian Lohnes dork o motive podcasts are good, but the catalog isn't very deep.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/25/22 1:15 p.m.

Dale Jr Download

The Way I Heard It (Mike Rowe)

Your Money, Your Wealth

Money Matters

Money Talk (Annex Wealth Management)

Johnboyjjb
Johnboyjjb HalfDork
9/25/22 1:37 p.m.

Hello Internet

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
9/25/22 2:32 p.m.

On my long road trips, I listen to:

The Why Files (to satisify my X-files type of interests)
Business Wars
Business Movers

Those are three of my favorites right now.

procainestart
procainestart SuperDork
9/25/22 3:48 p.m.

Stuff You Should Know 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
9/25/22 6:00 p.m.

If you like British humor: No Such Thing as a Fish, and Off Menu.

gunner (Forum Supporter)
gunner (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/25/22 7:41 p.m.

If you like to do deep dives into questionable subject matter with a stand up comedian who uses questionable language that is not safe for work sometimes but sometimes makes up all kinds of nsfw scenarios that fit into the plot line so SOMETIMES you have to wait to tell people things you have learned on the podcast if you pause before the end just in case it's a joke and not actually the truth but then be amazed at things that are actual truth but sound impossibly real and also have the intellect of a full grown adult but the sense of humor of a 14 year old boy you MIGHT want to listen to TIMESUCK with Dan Cummins but then maybe not, especially if your bluetooth disconnects around clients or your boss or probably any other human beings that don't listen to TIMESUCK because you really, really don't want to have to explain what they just heard. Maybe, just maybe you'd really love this podcast. Possibly. Or maybe not, but probably.

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/25/22 7:47 p.m.

Timesuck and A Mediocre Time with Tom and Dan. Both are great and wonderfully vulgar. 

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
9/25/22 8:45 p.m.

If you have any interest in amateur endurance racing then Everyone Racers.  

For non car stuff, This American Life, The Moth, 99% Invisible, Freakonomics, Criminal, and The Truth are all excellent.  

No Time
No Time UltraDork
9/25/22 9:09 p.m.

Thank you! Lots of great suggestions!  

I'll take some time to explore the suggestions and pick a few to listen to for a while and then rotate others in for variety. 

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
9/25/22 11:25 p.m.

Depending what time you go to work or back home you might think about streaming BBC world service , 

or old Car Talk with click and clack......

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/26/22 7:49 a.m.

Only a few episodes ever made, but I really enjoyed Uncle Tony's Garage.

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
9/26/22 8:19 a.m.

I will second the vote for No Such Thing as a Fish. 
The Infinite Monkey Cage.
You're Dead to Me. 

For some reas I'm stuck on BBC. 

AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
9/26/22 10:55 a.m.

I don't listen to podcasts super often, but when I do I usually listen to The Smoking Tire Podcast.

I don't find Matt Farah's YouTube Videos to be all that interesting after he stopped doing one takes, but his podcast is very enjoyable. High quality recordings, interesting guests, Matt is generally a good host who gets the best out of his guests while keeping the conversation moving, and he has good chemistry with the people in the room. The one detriment is that they broadcast on YouTube now, so sometimes they reference something on the screen and you can't see it. There's a good bit of jet-setter lifestyle and LA-specific talk, but it's all pretty good fun if for no other reason than being so completely alien to my life lol, and he's not a jerk about any of it.

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/26/22 11:14 a.m.

I really enjoy the Ologies podcast with Alie Ward.  A huge range of topics, very informative, and very entertaining.

Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter)
Hungary Bill (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/26/22 3:35 p.m.

"Everyone Racers"

They've been a great garage companion for me this last month, and one of the hosts is GRM's very own "Mental".

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
9/26/22 5:36 p.m.

Conspiracy Beer Me on Spotify is one of my go-to's. It isn't the nutjob-type, tin foil hat conspiracy stuff which is why I enjoy it, I'm a big fan of just the general idea of conspiracies and the 'what if' ideas. they discuss the conspiracy, bring up any and all information they were able to find, and speculate on it, never really taking one side or the other. They are also comedians so they keep it pretty light and entertaining. each episode is around a hour long.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
9/27/22 2:48 p.m.

I've always enjoyed

"The Moth"

"Radiolab"

"Snap Judgment"

"Stuff you should know"

"This American Life"

Trent
Trent PowerDork
9/27/22 3:42 p.m.

If you enjoy UK panel shows then there are several hundred epsiodes of David Mitchell's "The unbelievable truth" out there with nary a bad one in the batch.

I have been enjoying "You're wrong about" Pick a topic at random and give it a go

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7cNG7sX99sXQAcY568vlCr1PUNTLuLgungH26xRB9Eg64zPWk9V1nY2q029UWIt5