1 2
nocarwannaberacer
nocarwannaberacer New Reader
9/9/14 9:00 p.m.

Anybody try any of the "Pole Position" electric kart tracks? How was it for you?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/14 9:50 p.m.

aw man. I thought we were going to talk about the old arcade game:

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/9/14 9:55 p.m.

I've been to the one at Destiny USA in Syracuse. Fun enough if you don't get a large group of rolling road blocks. $ to seat time is better than AutoX.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
9/9/14 10:52 p.m.

i've got 2 books of cupons with several free + kids free and then a bunch of buy one get one frees... need to go this month or next before the expire... wanted to go over the summer with the kids but they are only good though thurs... honestly didn't know they ran on electric lol... but looking forward to going at some point

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
9/9/14 10:58 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: aw man. I thought we were going to talk about the old arcade game:

One Of Those Old Stand Up Cabinets Is For Sale Local To me For 600

Hungary Bill
9/9/14 11:54 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
Hungary Bill wrote: aw man. I thought we were going to talk about the old arcade game:

Too far away, thank god

When I moved to Tacoma I saw two on craigslist for $300 each, but I was pretty busy and didn't have access to a pickup truck... damn.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
9/10/14 12:28 a.m.

I am pretty sure Pole Position was bases at Suzuka.

nocarwannaberacer
nocarwannaberacer New Reader
9/10/14 6:17 a.m.

Forgot all about that. Since it's been brought up.....What do you guys think the best arcade driving game was?

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
9/10/14 6:28 a.m.
nocarwannaberacer wrote: Forgot all about that. Since it's been brought up.....What do you guys think the best arcade driving game was?

This was my favorite back in the day.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
9/10/14 7:14 a.m.
ryanty22 wrote:

If it were local to me it would be sold.

wae
wae HalfDork
9/10/14 7:27 a.m.
aircooled wrote: I am pretty sure Pole Position was bases at Suzuka.

I'm pretty sure all the bases were belong to us.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/10/14 8:11 a.m.

"PREPARE TO QUALIFY"

I was just playing this on my Atari 2600 emulator on my Wii last weekend. I also have it with the box and everything for the Atari 5200.

I believe it was the first racing game to feature a real life race track.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/10/14 8:22 a.m.
nocarwannaberacer wrote: Since it's been brought up.....What do you guys think the best arcade driving game was?

Choice of stunt track, speed track, or even an autocross course. 3 or 4 different cars including a Miata clone and a Testarossa clone. Incredibly good force feedback for what, 1990? I put enough quarters into this to have bought the machine. My buddy and I used to run over to the arcade at lunch and play against each other.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/10/14 8:53 a.m.

Is it ok to post more old-school arcade racing games?

Monaco GP:

Turbo:

Atari Night Driver:

280-ZZZAP (First game with an officially licensed car!):

And one of the oldest... Wheels by Midway (had a real Sun Tachometer in the cabinet!):

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/10/14 9:05 a.m.
Duke wrote:
nocarwannaberacer wrote: Since it's been brought up.....What do you guys think the best arcade driving game was?
Choice of stunt track, speed track, or even an autocross course. 3 or 4 different cars including a Miata clone and a Testarossa clone. Incredibly good force feedback for what, 1990? I put enough quarters into this to have bought the machine. My buddy and I used to run over to the arcade at lunch and play against each other.

I had the PC version of that game called, Stunts.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UberDork
9/10/14 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Hungary Bill:

I to was hoping for some old school arcade action. Man I spent so much money playing that at the local pizza place waiting for my pie to be done.

Box_of_Rocks
Box_of_Rocks New Reader
9/10/14 10:12 a.m.
Duke wrote:

I have this in my basement. Kids now a days aren't too interested in it, but if you remember that it is from 1990, it is pretty impressive.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
9/10/14 10:28 a.m.

Yep. Best cart track I've been to. I did seem to sheer a grade 8 bolt, though.

Hungary Bill
9/10/14 10:46 a.m.
rebelgtp wrote: In reply to Hungary Bill: I to was hoping for some old school arcade action. Man I spent so much money playing that at the local pizza place waiting for my pie to be done.

Weren't those "the days"? My wife and I were just talking about that. My whole family used to go to pizza hut with about $5 worth of quarters and pump the machines full of change until our pizza was ready.

Good luck finding a pizza hut with enough chairs for a family of four these days...

Get off my lawn

ryanty22
ryanty22 Dork
9/10/14 11:27 a.m.
Duke wrote:

I thought it was called hard driving

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
9/10/14 11:32 a.m.

Race Drivin' is the sequel to Hard Drivin'. The machine itself cost $9k back in 1990!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_Drivin%27

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
9/10/14 11:57 a.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Correct. Race Drivin' had everything from the original Hard Drivin', plus an autocross course and a new Super Stunt track that was awesome. I'll never forget the feeling of finally figuring out how to get through the barrel roll, making it over the giant hump for the first time ever, and then finding out there's a freaking TRAIN in the tunnel.

In reply to Box_of_Rocks:

Damn, you're lucky! I wish I had one to play. I'd spend all day trying to beat Helen Weales.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/10/14 1:30 p.m.

I remember spending a lot of money playing Hard Driving, never did see the other one.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
9/10/14 3:16 p.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

That's because that thing was $9000.00 in 1990 money!!!! I have never seen one to this day.

A computer museum that used to be in Boston had a Hard Drivin' machine with a see-through case so you could see all the wires and everything that made it work. I remember going there as a kid and playing it repeatedly because it was set up for free play.

donalson
donalson PowerDork
10/21/14 11:44 p.m.

just a bump... I finally went... was a hoot... the karts are quick and the track was fun... I'd highly recommend checking one out... I only got one race in and wasn't fast but as a 300# fatty and lacking race driving experience that doesn't surprise me... I'm 4 seconds off the fastest time of the week (who is mid 21 seconds)...

I can see the allure to the arrive and drive thing... add that it's wheel to wheel with little risk and it's comparable to golf and cheaper then actual wheel to wheel racing without the risks

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LbyMI97beMy81PBGDqMvXPVpniYFq2QqyivnmM55fRu5SHbmjAzzHwOPH1z5zPVE