1 2
Saron81
Saron81 Reader
6/26/20 7:47 a.m.

Smashed my finger really badly last year unloading stuff out the back of my truck. Had the kids with me so I had to act cool. I knew it was bad when I shook it and the whole nail and tip of my finger moved. Broke the end of it, ripped out the nail bed, and split it wide open. 
Before:

During... my wife (a nursing student) couldn't be there with me, and asked for pictures, lol. The nurses happily obliged. 

And about a week after:

It actually healed up decently except for the small nail

Torkel
Torkel Reader
6/26/20 8:12 a.m.

This reminds me of the resent "emergency preparedness test" I ran. If you want to practice for a fire, you tell everyone there's going to be a fire drill. But if you want to test the teams level of preparation, you don't tell anyone in advance!

So I ran the big bad tube cutter which my wife knows shops roll bar tubes like butter a bit, on and off, making it sounds like I was working on a cage. Then I cut the index finger and middle finger of an old work glove and folded my fingers inside it. Then poured on plenty of ketchup (easier to clean up than paint, right?) over the hand and arm. One last run with the tube cutter and...

I didn't trust my acting skills enough to do a panic scene, so I opted for a jaw clenched and slightly shocked "Andri! I need help!" as I walked up the stairs, holding my right arm with the left hand. I hade the phrase "You need to find the fingers" ready as a follow up, but... I want to stay married. 

In summary, I can conclude that her emergency capabilities are pretty crappy and that she most likely won't be much help, should E36 M3 go wrong one day. She started to cry immediately and hid her face in her hands, to make the terrible thing go away. The joke only lasted about 5 seconds but the shock remained for approx 1440 times that...  

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/26/20 10:23 a.m.
pontiacstogo said:

Wear sunscreen!

Quoted for truth. I don't think my face scar is nearly as frankenstein as your neck zipper but is in the ballpark,  maybe. Sunscreen. Use it unless you want a Mohs procedure. 

Toebra
Toebra Dork
6/26/20 5:52 p.m.

No pics of any wounds, plenty of scars though.

I should take some pics of some of the stuff I see in the course of working, but it does not have the same effect without smell-o-vision.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/26/20 5:57 p.m.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/26/20 6:41 p.m.
pontiacstogo said:

Wear sunscreen!

#REAL_TALK!

mjrj (Forum Supporter)
mjrj (Forum Supporter) New Reader
6/26/20 6:57 p.m.

In reply to pontiacstogo :

I agree!  And wear a hat with a big brim as well.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/26/20 8:45 p.m.

Dude,  these are some boss scars, fellas. 

Gary
Gary UltraDork
6/26/20 9:06 p.m.

You know ... I'll just refer to my previous post.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
6/27/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Yup, you did! That's kinda horrific...

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/28/20 9:18 a.m.

I do this kind of thing pretty regularly and learned that I heal really quickly so I don't even bother getting stitches any more. 

The staples to the head was an odd feeling. 

Impaled my arm on a 8" spike sticking out of a beam in my barn. I was in the middle of a job so I just kept on working until I was done. It was mostly scabbed up by then so it worked out

Right knee. I jumped off my brand new YZ125 last June, and after riding the same bike for a long time, misjudged the location of the new and sharp footpeg

Left knee. A year later, almost to the day, which was yesterday, I slipped a little with the Chainsaw. Could have been a lot worse

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/28/20 10:03 p.m.
Jay_W said:

In reply to yupididit :

Yup, you did! That's kinda horrific...

Dislocated elbow. Arm no longer goes straight or function 100%. I joined the military 6 months after this happened lol.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
7/20/20 1:14 p.m.

PSA: don't open a hot radiator. Not even if you're sure you bled all the pressure out. 

three days later and it's just starting to blister up good. Pretty crispy. Burns suck. 

lrrs
lrrs HalfDork
7/20/20 4:27 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I have one of those, left side... the right side has a 3.75 inch screw through the middle of the bone.  

Same dr, same pain, about 10 years apart.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/20/20 9:24 p.m.

Already wrapped it up for the night. But I "stubbed" my toe on one of those hard plastic chair mats. It was still folded up.

And by stub, I mean to the outside of the toe and it basically just shaved a big chunk into it. It will take a few days for that flap to dry up and fall off.

Needless to say, the amount kept bleeding was insane. It bled OFF 3 band aids when I it happened at lunch. And by that, I mean it bled so much through the cotton and under the strip and loosened it to the point of calling off.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
7/20/20 10:42 p.m.
barefootskater said:

PSA: don't open a hot radiator. Not even if you're sure you bled all the pressure out. 

three days later and it's just starting to blister up good. Pretty crispy. Burns suck. 

I did that once, all the way up my forearm and bicep. Eighteen and on the way to college. Bought some cheap burn salve and stuck my arm out the window the rest of the drive to cool it off.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
7/20/20 11:04 p.m.

I almost started a thread like this back in April when I did a stupid. No pictures, but use your imagination. 

I was changing a flat tire on the Fusion. Floor jack won't fit under, so I got out the factory scissor jack. But I'm at home with air tools, see? I need to run it down all the way from the stored open position, so I grab the jack in one hand and the impact in the other. As I gun it, the jack spins, grabs my fingers and runs completely flat faster than I can blink. So three fingers are pinched inside, I don't know how the sheet metal jack didn't just sever them. So I reverse it as I'm screaming in my head, but somehow I'd already reversed it so all I did was crush them even more. Got my fingers out, changed the tire, cleaned up. 

Just this month, I finally have the fingernails back, but they're lumpy. 

TL,DR - throw away the stupid scissor jack

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/20/20 11:16 p.m.

Moh's? Yeah, 64 years old, grew up in Florida, surfing, fishing, working outdoors...

Cleared out the pictures to save space on the phone.

Figured I'd post this here, although I'm not sure why. I avoid looking at this discussion. If anybody has a reply, I'm sorry, I probably won't be seeing it.

I got bitten by a husky a few days ago. While animal bites are an occupational hazard, I disagree with the idiots that think that it's okay because I'm a vet.

I'm hoping to retain full use of the hand. This is a good example of how one puncture from an animal bite can go to hell.

Amputations are not unheard of, especially with cat bites.

Fortunately, the antibiotics seem to be doing the job now that I'm a couple days in. I can still barely move my fingers, and of course it's my dominant hand.

This is about 10 hours after the bite, and before starting antibiotics.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
7/21/20 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Goofy E36 M3 happens around animals.  My sister was in vet school 20 years ago when (while watching a sedated hog get castrated) the hog kicked the scalpel out of the instructors hand sending flying straight into my sisters' femoral artery.  She's fine now but apparently it was a puckering few minutes all around till they got the bleeding stopped.

mjrj (Forum Supporter)
mjrj (Forum Supporter) New Reader
8/2/20 1:41 a.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

petrolatum gauze/xeroform dressing will be your best friend right now.  touched hot exhaust on my olds 2 years ago.  2nd degree burns bad IE blistered 3/8" off the skin.  Xeroform with gauze over it until it healed and you can't see where it happened.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
8/2/20 3:22 p.m.

Cutting some allthread, didn't have it clamped down, got almost all the way through it and the blade caught (diamond blade, not fiber). Nicked a tendon and spent 6 weeks in a brace. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PeZTkz41PVrfENCc8WNAI5s3ohWyjBnN59eYKcOzB75tbmqLUZPNmqY8bpc4cD5g