Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/27/17 1:58 p.m.

Has anyone here ever owned a Power King lawn tractor? Not sure on the price but I might take a look at it sometime this week.

King

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
3/27/17 4:58 p.m.

I worked a couple summers before I could drive cutting the grass and keeping the place neat at a swim and racquet club. The go to tractor we had was a power king. We had another riding mower that we resurrected from the shed and got running, but it was only good for popping wheelies. The power king was good for mowing and pulling our trailer around we used to get stuff where it needed to go. It was tough enough to stand up to whatever abuse two 15 year old troublemakers could throw at it. FWIW, this was back in the 80's.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/27/17 5:07 p.m.

Looks like you typical old style garden tractor, I don't think any of them were considered to be bad. That's probably about right for a negotiation starting point if the engine and transaxle are in good shape, deck isn't due for a rebuild (play in the spindles) etc. The Kohler K series is a nice engine for something built by a toilet company, common pulling engine with good parts support.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
3/27/17 5:20 p.m.

They are good tractors. Dad had one when I was growing up. It mowed a LOT of grass back then (before the Zero turn revolutionized mowing) Go for it.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/27/17 6:53 p.m.

That tractor is a little on the high end. I agree with Broken Yugo, Kohler's are good motors. Deck rebuilding can get mildly pricey. Look for oil leaks, and smoke. It seems gritty under the muffler in that picture. Are you getting into the hobby, or putting it to work? Other competent tractors from that era are Wheel Horse, Bolens, John Deere, and Cub Cadets.

Mark57
Mark57 New Reader
3/27/17 7:09 p.m.

Dad bought a new one in 1963, we mowed an average of 7 acres a week with it until 1980. Still occasionally put back into service for dragging things around my brothers place. Absolute indestructible tank

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
3/27/17 10:31 p.m.

This tractor would see regular duty for grass cutting and maybe snow plowing as I have a rather long driveway to the shop.

Paul B

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/28/17 10:20 a.m.

Some of those Kohlers vibrated like crazy.

I think it was the lower power ones and they ran for ever.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eg4lQOhhk9Bjt4O8hNaXSVvfpXIFTDJAptaRJg42KhZz9z2SvcemsOJMQN25Ce2b