bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/4/11 11:40 a.m.

I'm restoring a '90 Honda Civic si. I want to replace the brake lines with exact replacements, because I'll never be able to bend them accurately enough and frankly, there are too many of them for impatient Jim. Anyone know where I can buy pre-bent lines for this car? Honda discontinued them. Thanks, Jim

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/11 12:53 p.m.

I bought pre-bent lines for my 65 Mustang fastback. Then it appeared to me that the original lines were attached to the car before anything else was bolted on. I ended up cutting them up and adding flares and fittings. They may have saved a little time, but I'll never pay for fitted ones again. Bending lines is easy enough, even with the cheap tools.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/4/11 1:08 p.m.

Thanks. The four parallel lines that run between the master cylinder and the proportioning valve have many bends in them and fit to clamps mounted on the firewall. No way I could duplicate these with any accuracy or repeatability.
BTW, do you still have the Mustang? I have a '65 Mustang fastback myself.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
1/4/11 1:23 p.m.

Contact a Honda focused scrap yard here in California. Very little under the hood rusts here unless the car was parked at the edge of the ocean its entire life running life. There is a place called H.A.P. Recycling near Sacremento (Rancho Cordova) that I have had good experiences with.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
1/4/11 2:22 p.m.

I've pulled "like new" brake lines off 20-year old RX-7's here in VA.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/4/11 4:48 p.m.

Can you find me a set for my Civic? I'll compensate you well if you can.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/4/11 6:23 p.m.

http://www.classictube.com/index.asp Call them

I bought a set for an old jeep and would glady do it again.

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/4/11 7:07 p.m.

I hate bending those things, they never come out right.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/11 9:47 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: BTW, do you still have the Mustang? I have a '65 Mustang fastback myself.

No, I sold it and bought my WRX. I had owned it for seven years and just wasn't driving it anymore. It was a gift to myself when I finally got a real job. The reality of it didn't live up to the dream. I wish I had digital photos of it.

I'm sure that I'm the only person in history who was forced to drive a '65 Mustang to work because his Civic Si wasn't running right (unless you've done that too!).

I owned a loaded '65 coupe when I was in high school. It was sort of a transition car, with some '64 1/2 features and some more common '65 parts. Back then, I knew more about early Mustangs than I knew about anything else.

When I sold the fastback, I thought I was done with old cars for good, though that's probably not the case. I may even find another Mustang in the garage someday, but this one will need to have rack and pinion and fuel injection if it wants to stick around. They're beautiful, but I didn't enjoy driving them.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/5/11 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

Yes, once I DID have to drive my Mustang to work because my Civic si was down! We may be the only two though. And yes, old Mustangs are not enjoyable to drive. But disc brakes, R+P and better seats make a world of difference!

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/5/11 11:44 a.m.

http://www.acurahondaparts.com/

Honda recycler in the Atl, GA area..........

BTW, ClassicTube offer great products but list nothing for Hondas in their online catalog.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar HalfDork
1/5/11 12:22 p.m.

I can't remember if it was Inline Tube or Classic Tube, or some other reproduction brake line company I talked to when I had my '67 Imperial and was looking for lines. I think they were in New York state.

They said if I had the original lines and sent them they could duplicate them and they would then add them to their product line. The said the lines didn't have to be perfect, could have rust holes or whatever, just complete.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
1/5/11 6:46 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: http://www.acurahondaparts.com/ Honda recycler in the Atl, GA area.......... BTW, ClassicTube offer great products but list nothing for Hondas in their online catalog.

thats why I said call them. That place can make anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
O01cBs5m1cHBwAT22AXpNCukGpXiiP5nZLNt965xfYLJEhkiDUMALdjXATtUwqMb