1 2 3
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/22/13 6:50 p.m.

Long story short, I think I've got a job opportunity. But it'll be a 80mi round trip commute (and I'll be making a lot less than I was), so I've been searching for something newer/more reliable/yadayadayada than my Corrados for a DD.

If I snag the job, I'd have about $7K at my disposal. I started looking at Civics and Accords on CL, but soon noticed that non-S RSXs were available for right around the same prices.

Thoughts? And also, IIRC the magazine had an RSX buyers' guide, but I can't recall which issue. Anyone remember?

LopRacer
LopRacer HalfDork
4/22/13 10:19 p.m.

April 2013 issue Volume 30 Number 2

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
4/23/13 5:25 a.m.

look at EP civic Si as well - it'll be the same car essentially with a bigger hatch area. Prices might be comparable or perhaps lower, as the ricers didn't like that civic generation very much.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
4/23/13 5:32 a.m.

I had an 02 for 178k miles and loved it. In that time I had to replace both o2 sensors and the tps. That's it. Comfortable car for eating miles, and mileage was in the low 30s. Throw a little suspension in it and you will be quite happy.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 7:32 a.m.

There's no way I'd long distance DD an RSX. That lack of a center armrest kills that car for anything more than local around town driving.

BenB
BenB New Reader
4/23/13 7:45 a.m.

The crappy driver's seat totally spoiled the car for me. My butt & back apparently just wasn't shaped right for it, so I couldn't spend more than half an hour in it before my back started killing me. I had the same problem with my daughter's Civic, so it might just have been me. The suspension seemed to settle in nicely at about 80, and it would just eat up the miles. The mileage was pretty good, even at high speeds. It was reliable as a hammer, too, other than water constantly getting into the tail lights. If the seats had been better, I think it would have been a great highway commuter.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
4/23/13 7:55 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/23/13 8:26 a.m.

Even if the one that Bobzilla rode in somehow did not have an armrest, that is an easy fix. I will say that you should definitely sit in it and think about the seats. I haven't ever really been happy with any Honda seats other than an S2000. The seat part of it seems too short and cuts off circulation in my legs.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
4/23/13 8:27 a.m.

And I guess that this is all fairly easily remedied by a couple hundred dollars and a Recaro.

BenB
BenB New Reader
4/23/13 9:10 a.m.

My problem with them was the seat bottom was too flat, so I tended to submarine under the seat belt, even with the seat back set vertically in airliner seat position. After an hour or so of using the dead pedal to push myself back into the seat, my lower back would be killing me. I tried a Miata-style foamectomy, but there isn't enough cushion in the seat bottom to remove enough material to have much of an effect. Recaro would've definitely fixed the problem.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 9:12 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Bobzilla:

That's a long since discontinued accessory. They weren't that common, they were really expensive ($400 IIRC) and they didn't sell.

<--- worked Acura parts the last 9 years.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
4/23/13 9:16 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: There's no way I'd long distance DD an RSX. That lack of a center armrest kills that car for anything more than local around town driving.

Lack of center armrest has never bothered me for driving distances so I would say it depends person to person.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
4/23/13 9:17 a.m.

http://www.jjproducts.net/jj_products_htm/products/Acura/AcuraRSX/

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
4/23/13 9:23 a.m.

My son has one and does exactly what you want to do with it. It has been reliable, gets great gas mileage, and he loves it. You do pay a premium for it though.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 11:12 a.m.

I've had a lot of Hondas. Never had one with an armrest. And the Fit is the only one that has cup holders. LOTS of 'em!

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/13 11:16 a.m.

I know nothing about RSXs, but good luck with the job prospect!

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
4/23/13 11:20 a.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

They're all over Amazon and Ebay, and while I can't find the link for it at the moment, I bought an aftermarket arm rest for my CR-V from a company that has them for everything imaginable. The point is that the lack of an arm rest is no reason in itself not to buy an RSX. Personally, I have no use for one in a manual trans equipped vehicle anyway.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 12:04 p.m.

And hell yeah, hope I'm toasting to your new job this weekend, fgc.

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
4/23/13 12:11 p.m.

Hope it works out for you!!!!

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/23/13 12:15 p.m.

I know of a cremepuff RSX-S in that pricerange (maybe a bit above). It's my MIL. Higher miles but it's been babied its whole life. If interested I can get more info. I've enjoyed the few times i've driven it. The engine is amazing, makes good noises gets about 33mpg (on premium). Nice interior quality and I found it comfortable.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
4/23/13 2:32 p.m.

Leaving this here:

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
4/23/13 2:34 p.m.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 2:40 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: They're all over Amazon and Ebay, and while I can't find the link for it at the moment, I bought an aftermarket arm rest for my CR-V from a company that has them for everything imaginable. The point is that the lack of an arm rest is no reason in itself not to buy an RSX. Personally, I have no use for one in a manual trans equipped vehicle anyway.

Good for you. For something that I'm driving highway miles, it becomes a necessity for me and the wife. Driving 30 miles of twisty back roads, I can understand. 80 miles of highway? berkeley no. I didn't realize the aftermarket had stepped up and offered armrests.

I just don't like the feel of the RSX-S. I don't like feeling that if I want the sensation of speed I have to wind the piss out of the engine. I'm sure they're perfect for some people, just not for everyone.

BTW, is there problem? I have yet to see you not get E36 M3ty over any post I make lately.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
4/23/13 2:54 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:

Love that color.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltraDork
4/23/13 2:56 p.m.

They look best with the 5-spoke TSX accessory wheels.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xIJiJx80EmcczcG16Ur7Vki6XjXcecXhDeF45qL3XUCFKPGPhNbF7YdBCHjt3vDm