1 2 3
friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado UltimaDork
4/23/13 3:02 p.m.

Lack of an armrest is not a problem, I never got comfortable driving one-handed (except while shifting, of course), even on a long highway trip. I guess I'll have to sit in one to see if I fit the seat or not. Premium's not really a problem, the Cs like mid-grade, and they only deliver about 28hwy. I'm not really looking for a world-beater with this one, I just want something a little "sportier" than a Civic or Corolla since I'd be spending so much time in it--and I always thought they were cool little cars. Thanks for the tips, everyone!

And BTW: I've officially been asked to interview. Thu morning, 10am. Cross yer fingers for me.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/23/13 3:06 p.m.

This is my only experience with an RSX. It was a lot of fun. (Mine was white though)

PS good luck tomorrow.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/23/13 3:58 p.m.

Congrats man! Great to hear about the job opportunity.

Could do worse than an RSX. Approved.

friedgreencorrado
4/23/13 4:38 p.m.
LopRacer wrote: April 2013 issue Volume 30 Number 2

Egad, issue before last. My mind is going, Dave..

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
4/23/13 4:55 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

That one is my son's.

He put a CAI, header, exhaust and got a tune from Hondata. It's like a completely different car.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
4/23/13 6:14 p.m.
szeis4cookie wrote: look at EP civic Si as well - it'll be the same car essentially with a bigger hatch area. Prices might be comparable or perhaps lower, as the ricers didn't like that civic generation very much.

I second this motion. And you don't have to sit on leather in the Si.

friedgreencorrado
4/28/13 9:50 p.m.

Hoping 5 days does not a Zombie Thread make..

Thanks for the good wishes, folks! Damn, that was so good to hear. The interview was just like my last one. The person who would be my boss loved me.. but HR? Hard for me to tell. No flame intended on the people here who work in HR (y'all who aren't HR please don't do it either), I just don't understand what they want from me. It was like I had to escape the Caribbean Creole English portion of the interview before I could start speaking in what passes for "regular" English for us 'Merkuns. Sometimes I thought I knew what they meant, but other times I didn't.

Back to the issue at hand..I'm really looking at non-S cars, since this will simply be a "less boring" DD. I figure that if I ever change my mind about competing with it, the parts to convert it to S specs would be out there somewhere.

Cloth interior available? Difficult to find one with three pedals? I'm not seeing many non-S cars on Atlanta CL right now, most still have leather interiors (not a deal breaker, really) and slushboxes.

I fully admit that a slushbox shouldn't be a deal breaker for commuting in Atlanta traffic..but I'm just stubborn that way.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
4/29/13 5:00 a.m.

STF FTSOK

(For The Sorta OK, as compared to For The Win).

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/29/13 9:32 a.m.

FGC, I really think you need to consider buying a type-S.

Looking at the prices, I'm not sure it's worth looking for a non-S model. There doesn't seem to be a huge difference in asking prices between them. Instead, it seems to be dictated more by year and mileage. On ATL Craigslist I saw high-mileage type-S's for $5-$6K, I don't think $7K for a decent example is too much to ask. You may have to be a little patient though to find a manual in acceptable condition.

The difference is a whopping (for this category) 40hp and a slightly better suspension. Also, it's not going to be worth it to try and convert a non-S later on. The i-vtec on these isn't a bolt-on affair. I'm not that knowledgeable about the K-series, but think different head, ecu, wiring, plumbing, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

btw - we missed ya at the Mitty this year.

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
4/29/13 10:04 a.m.

Do you need more than 2 seats? I'd be looking at an Insight with that kind of mileage every day. I have been averaging about 60mpg in mine. You can get a decent one with low-ish miles with a $7k budget.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/29/13 11:02 a.m.

I like the 1st gen Insight idea too. Between the gas and insurance you'd be way ahead economically.

That said, I found this Type-S for $6500 in Atlanta. Mileage may be a little high for what you had in mind at 145K, but I haven't seen many below 115K in the first place.

Matt B
Matt B Dork
4/29/13 11:05 a.m.

If you're willing to drive to Nashville, here's a 02 Type-S with less mileage for $7K.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
4/29/13 11:14 a.m.

What about a Celica GT/GT-S?

Arguably not as refined as the RSX, but is very similar in most regards and is usually a bit cheaper. They are quite reliable too, my buddy ran up 200k problem free miles on a GT-S that saw 8k regularly. It also averaged over 30mpg. It was very well built too, the interior was especially nice.

friedgreencorrado
4/29/13 6:40 p.m.

Matt, yeah, after looking at ads again..you're right. Really no reason to exclude the S. My (probable) future son-in-law just bought a non-S with an automatic..and he paid about $5K for it. Had about 125K miles on it. Maybe not the best buy, but he needed a car that week to keep his job

e_pie, the Insight makes great sense from the economy standpoint, but I really would like something that's a little less of a "one trick pony". Of course, if I'm wrong about handling upgrades for the Insight, please feel free to enlighten me! And yeah, if the economy gets even worse, I might consider one down the road.

shelbyz, I've driven a couple of the contemporary Celicas (T230?)..I love the styling, but just never warmed up to the way they drive. I can't recall what thing in particular turned me off, but I just never "got it".

Once again, thanks a bunch everyone! Keep those ideas coming!

knb13
knb13 Reader
4/30/13 8:39 a.m.

I like the RSX as well but couldn't get into the driving position for long distance.

I'm very, very happy with my 2004 Mazda 3s hatch. They are in your price range- very comfortable inside, hauls plenty of stuff fine with the 4 door, couple the 2.3 liter with a 5 speed and it's a fun little ride. Not Mazdaspeed fun though... Add in HIDs, steering wheel audio controls, and it's a spiffy little econobox.

I do 100+ miles a day in it on my work commute and I get 35mpg reliably. I was looking for a mix of good mpg, sportyness, and very comfortable cockpit and this hit the nail spot on.

It didn't hurt that it came with a full Tien coilover package...

e_pie
e_pie HalfDork
4/30/13 2:50 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Matt, yeah, after looking at ads again..you're right. Really no reason to exclude the S. My (probable) future son-in-law just bought a non-S with an automatic..and he paid about $5K for it. Had about 125K miles on it. Maybe not the best buy, but he needed a car that week to keep his job e_pie, the Insight makes *great* sense from the economy standpoint, but I really would like something that's a little less of a "one trick pony". Of course, if I'm wrong about handling upgrades for the Insight, please feel free to enlighten me! And yeah, if the economy gets even worse, I might consider one down the road. shelbyz, I've driven a couple of the contemporary Celicas (T230?)..I love the styling, but just never warmed up to the way they drive. I can't recall what thing in particular turned me off, but I just never "got it". Once again, thanks a bunch everyone! Keep those ideas coming!

Well it drives a lot like an old CRX, not much in the way of upgrades though.

But with the money you save on gas you could get a motorcycle or something.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
4/30/13 3:28 p.m.

Not that this is any help, but a buddy of mine bought an RSX after he did the driving school at Mid-Ohio. He liked it so much that he bought one as a track car. He beats on it at the track and drives it home every time. I would say they're pretty damn reliable.

shelbyz
shelbyz New Reader
4/30/13 3:47 p.m.

Here's some Insight inspiration for you.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0806_honda_k_series_insight/viewall.html

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
4/30/13 3:57 p.m.

In reply to shelbyz:

Hey, he says it still gets 48 MPG!

friedgreencorrado
4/30/13 3:59 p.m.
shelbyz wrote: Here's some Insight inspiration for you. http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0806_honda_k_series_insight/viewall.html

Holy mother of Soichiro! Yeah, that's one I could learn to live with.

mtn
mtn UltimaDork
4/30/13 4:03 p.m.
shelbyz wrote: Here's some Insight inspiration for you. http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/features/htup_0806_honda_k_series_insight/viewall.html
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to shelbyz: Hey, he says it still gets 48 MPG!

Assuming that he is correct (both in the 70 and 48 MPG statements), that is incredible, and at gas prices of $4.00 a gallon and driving 20,000 miles, a difference of only $525 a year.

Now, assuming he is wrong and it gets 38 MPG and the original only 55 (more accurate), that is still incredible and only a difference of $650 a year.

friedgreencorrado
4/30/13 4:15 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Not that this is any help, but a buddy of mine bought an RSX after he did the driving school at Mid-Ohio. He liked it so much that he bought one as a track car. He beats on it at the track and drives it home every time. I would say they're pretty damn reliable.

More helpful than you think. I just realized that I'd been DDing my Corrados for pretty much the same distance for about 5yrs..and another 8 or 9 before that at about half that distance. I love the damn things, but when I think about it now--I was getting pretty tired of people seeing my hands all scratched up and asking me if I'd been wrestling with a cat.

friedgreencorrado
6/5/13 12:20 p.m.

Zombie thread, back from the dead. But for good reason.

'02, 191K mi., but with extensive maintenance history. Manual..and unmodified. Newish Falkens. Asking $6300, I paid $6K. And as you can see from the deck badge, it's an S model. Y'all were kind of right about the seats, though. I'm still playing around with the adjustments. Otherwise, I love the damn thing. Matt, you were right about choosing the S (yeah, I drove both).

Duke
Duke PowerDork
6/5/13 12:27 p.m.

They sure are pretty. Nice car!

Matt B
Matt B SuperDork
6/5/13 12:30 p.m.

Noice! My favorite car color too. Looks cleeeeeeaaaaaaan.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hdE3u53i9MtXooZfLWqXBYjJSk6iFqa8CQzHDWV8QxVSWega3vn85H1ammakdOm2