OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/19 3:17 p.m.

I just bought a used Subaru Outback with nearly new tires. The tires seem to be quite loud, and reviews online are not particularly good. Does anyone else have these tires? What do you think of them?

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
5/11/19 5:48 p.m.

Meh. About as good as any other China tire. It's the house brand for Firestone

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/13/19 2:01 p.m.

I had some Primewells on a garbage '99 Cavalier. They were frightening in the rain or snow and they were brand new

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/13/19 2:15 p.m.

There's a reason Chinese tires were outlawed for years. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/19 6:42 p.m.

Wife is driving this car. Haven’t experienced them in the rain yet. Other than the tire noise, great car. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
5/21/19 6:37 a.m.

I’d rather run on the rims for more traction and control.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/21/19 7:08 a.m.

My wife’s volt came with a set of them. Also brand new, also terrible. We swapped them out for a set of Bridgestones after a month. 

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
5/21/19 11:32 a.m.

I have the truck version on my 93 K2500, came with the truck. So far they have been good, no noise issues, ride pretty smoothly, well as smooth as load range E tires can. Will see how they do long term, not towing heavy trailers so not too worried on that part.

Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/21/19 2:26 p.m.

I had some on an E350 van.  They sucked at pretty much everything.  Completely helpless in the snow, pretty crappy in the wet, and made far more noise than the A/S H/T tread suggested.  When I swapped them out for Wrangler ATs, the AT was quieter than the HT Primewells.

They're round, they're rubber, they're black.  They are a tire.  But not a good tire.

They are the Taco Bell of tires.  It can be considered food because it has caloric value, but it sucks and it might kill you.

(Ok, not really, just being facetious)

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/21/19 3:34 p.m.

Thank you guys for being the guinea pigs on Chinese tires, because there ain't no way in H-E-double-L I'd ever buy a set.

Although, in the spirit of full disclosure, the tires on my old '76 KZ-400 were fabricated there, but a friend made the purchase back when I lent the bike to him for a while.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/21/19 3:36 p.m.
Curtis said:

They are the Taco Bell of tires.  It can be considered food because it has caloric value, but it sucks and it might kill you.

I find a significant amount of humor in this statement.  Thank you!

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/21/19 6:27 p.m.

My FRS came with Chinese tires, Atlas Land Sport or something like that. They suck SOOOO bad. Horrible in the dry, borderline dangerous in the wet, and snow and auto x performance were both downright laughable. The only redeeming quality, unfortunately, seems to be that they are wearing like iron, in spite of my active attempts to kill them.

But performance issues aside, what I find even more annoying is their propensity to flat spot. They're noticeably out of round every damn morning just from sitting overnight and take a mile at 60-65 to work themselves back into shape. If the car sits for a few days or more, it's like driving on square wheels for several miles afterwards. 

Tires are one instance where pinching pennies just isn't worth it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yDKRVVPHWG3R9djcgvUb1hafJrBkUAQm2wgVE2a2nk81TXV4ZJNTStd7orPCzOgu