914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/19/18 9:15 a.m.

Morning folks,

My 87 year old father has Alzhiemers', has trouble finding words, doesn't know how to refer to my mother (the woman that's here all the time) and recently started wo wander; says he wants to "go home".  Also wants to see his mother who died 45 years ago.  Frustrating.

Hopefully you'll never need this.  No fees involved.  I contacted my county Sheriff's office who told me the name of the program, from there I contacted my parents' county who will go to their home and apply the device.

Dan

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/18 9:28 a.m.

Clever. I wonder if they have an inductive charging mat for the anklet that could be placed under the bottom part of a bed to make sure it stays charged? I know that the people who need things like these often resist using them, and convieniently forgetting to charge it seems all too easy...

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/18 10:22 a.m.

Pretty nifty device.  My Mother is 96, and also suffers from the disease.  Very disheartening to see.  Luckily, she has in home care.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/29/18 9:58 a.m.

Update:

Mom finally got around to calling someone, it is administrated by the County Sheriff's office no matter who you contact.  I was surprised that their County shows this program on their website, but for some reason voted not to implement it.

Schenectady County Sheriff came out yesterday, explained how it works, range etc.  Mom explained to Dad that even though she and the Doctors ask that he not go in the woods behind the house, he still does.  "If you fall back there and I don't see you go in, you're stuck.  This will help them find you".  OK. 

Bracelet is not rechargeable but a reader is provided that you test the bracelet every morning.  If the reader blinks red instead of green, call the cops.  They come out within two hours to replace the battery.  Good support!

The signal sender can be read with the cops' equipment even if he's inside or behind a building.  They suggested Mom's support group (7 kids) all store the information on their phone, one is the cop's cell #.  Cool

Dan

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ncA6xTCwqoKLAsvXU31yzSlpo8wZJihnuJXYUdN9G6vmZrN18eQJ9694So467Kge