1 2
rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/29/10 11:34 p.m.

Tom at one point there would have been an AR-10 and a M1A1 in the mix as well but I sold them both to pay my dads rent once upon a time.

The AR-10 was damn fun and I hope to get another sometime. I still have a few 20 round mags for it laying around somewhere.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 5:40 p.m.

you guys are beginning to make me think my little 9mm is not quite enough.

My biggest fear with zombies.. don't you HAVE to do headshots? they are already dead, so a bullet to the brain might not to that much unless it exits the skull and takes most of the diseased brain matter with it.

David Adams
David Adams Reader
7/30/10 5:56 p.m.

So what if THIS guy becomes a zombie?

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Reader
7/30/10 6:17 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: you guys are beginning to make me think my little 9mm is not quite enough. My biggest fear with zombies.. don't you HAVE to do headshots? they are already dead, so a bullet to the brain might not to that much unless it exits the skull and takes most of the diseased brain matter with it.

Depends on what Zombies you believe in. Magic Zombies with no bodily functions, headshots are a must. Bio Zombies that can still be incapacitated with enough bodily damage, headshorts help, but aren't required.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/30/10 6:46 p.m.
David Adams wrote: So what if THIS guy becomes a zombie?

Uh what guy? I think you forgot a pic or link.

mad_machine 9mm is alright as long as it is loaded with hollow points, however it will never have the stopping power of a good ol' .45. Many police and military forces started going to the 9mm back in the early 80's. There have always been those that have looked down on it especially if before they carried a .45. That being said some groups have gone back to the .45, or gone to 10mm or other calibers. I particularly like the 9mm for a concealed carry weapon though for a primary side arm I prefer my 1911 A1.

Heck when I'm up in the mountains my two usual side arms are either the 1911 or an EAA Bounty Hunter in .45 Long Colt (basically a copy of the Colt SAA .45 "Peacemaker").

Will
Will HalfDork
7/30/10 7:03 p.m.

When it comes to pistols, I own .45 ACP weapons exclusively (1911s and HK USP/USPc). However, for traditional dead, returned to life zombies that require a head shot (not the infected living, a la 28 days/weeks later), I wouldn't hesitate to use 9mm.

Remember, we're talking head shots here. If a 9mm to the dome won't put it down, a .45 slug in the exact same spot won't either.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/30/10 7:53 p.m.

Will which 1911s do you own? I have a base model Springfield that I picked up to build into what I wanted that I love. Eventually I will knock out the stock sites and put in something a little better but for now it works darn good.

You know I always wondered something about the head shots on a zombie. Is it anywhere in the brain that will drop one or do you have to destroy a specific portion of the brain like the motor cortex? I remember reading multiple articles about people taking a bullet, arrow or even nails to the brain and still lived, it screwed them up sure but they were alive. Is it possible a head shot in the wrong spot would not drop a zombie?

Will
Will HalfDork
7/30/10 8:10 p.m.

I own a 5-inch Charles Daly (not very good, my first pistol), a 4-inch Stainless Kimber Pro Carry II and a 3-inch Kimber Ultra Carry II. Both Kimbers have worked flawlessly for me, and the 4-inch is my go-to pistol. I put Meprolight tritium sights on both and I've been pretty pleased. I'm jonesing for a 5-inch stainless Kimber to match the 4-inch.

As for shot placement, zombie lore is usually no more specific than "destroy the brain." However, I would think that destroying the frontal lobe would be best because it's big and controls motor skills. Severing the brain stem from the spinal column should also be pretty effective.

4eyes
4eyes HalfDork
7/30/10 8:51 p.m.
rebelgtp wrote:
mndsm wrote: ..... is that a Thompson?
Why, yes it is. Hey, self-defense is no laughing matter. Thats why when I want number one I pack a Thompson... accept no substitutes.

Nice AIR AMERICA quote. The problem with .223 in a military loading is the FMJ round, plug a Partition boolet in there and it's golden.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/30/10 9:24 p.m.

I am glad the 9mm would work... what I should do is dig up my late grandfathers single action Japanese rifle that he got after the big war

rebelgtp
rebelgtp SuperDork
7/30/10 9:42 p.m.

In reply to 4eyes:

Hehe I was wondering how long it would take someone to recognize that quote. Especially since the movie was mentioned yesterday as well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4xeyfZiALPVCQomObXO9hSftRfQQpR2flKkwDQgdVYvt9K8nv6nsIBoThyga6zLo