1 2
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/1/18 12:42 p.m.

So I feel like my collection of punk music is stuck in the late '70s and early '80s with lots of Clash, Ramones, Sex Pistols, Blitz, UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Bad Brains, etc. I mean I also have a decent amount Rancid as well.

What newer stuff should I check out?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/1/18 12:45 p.m.

Band: TSOL  (True Sounds of Liberty) 

Song: Code Blue

No link given so as to keep this family appropriate.  

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/1/18 12:49 p.m.

I love me some NoFx.

Strung Out - Teenage Suburban Wasteland Blues

I just bought Beartooth's Diseased and it's got a hardcore punk rock vibe with some heavier stuff mixed in.

Otherwise go to Fat Wreck Chords or Epitaph Records and listen to some new stuff.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/1/18 12:57 p.m.

Black Friday Death Count

"Loud Gruff and sometimes Melodic trio that mix of old 80's Hardcore and 90's Noise Rock. It's not always pretty but neither is the band."

(disclaimer: I was in a few bands with the bass player decades ago. However, his music today bears little resemblance to what we wrote 25+ years ago, which had more of my 80's metal and hard rock influence than I realized at the time.  This is Sam in his rawest form, distilled from 30 years of constant playing. He has more musical ability in his pinky than I can ever hope to attain, even if his music doesn't always sounds that way.)

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
10/1/18 1:02 p.m.

Direct Hit is awesome and one of the more traditional-sounding newer punk bands.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/1/18 1:22 p.m.

Pennywise. California punk legends. Just came out with a new album a few months ago. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/1/18 1:40 p.m.

Speaking of Pennywise, everyone that likes 90s punk could probably associate with this documentary "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Other_F_Word

It's about being fatherhood and being in a Punk Rock band.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
10/1/18 1:59 p.m.

I've liked what I've heard so far from The Interrupters.

If you want to do some related reading, the history of the 1980s East German punk movement is chronicled in the new "Burning Down the Haus," which has been positively reviewed in a number of places. My copy will arrive tomorrow.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 2:30 p.m.

Tsunami Bomb and The Soviettes are both badass punk bands from the early 2000s. Both happen to be fronted by women, which can be a nice change up.

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/1/18 2:46 p.m.

Avail, Pulley, Crime in Stereo, Osker (idle will kill), Face to Face, Propagandhi, Good Riddance

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/1/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to RossD :

I've seen, and read Jim lindbergs book. Love the perspective. 

logdog
logdog GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/1/18 4:52 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

The Interrupters are AMAZING!!

I am also a big fan of Bad Cop/Bad Cop

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 4:57 p.m.
failboat said:

Avail

Not punk per se anymore but Tim Barry's solo stuff is really really good. I've seen him live for the last decade and it's still that attitude but with just an acoustic guitar.

Also some of my 80s 90s favorites - Suicidal Tendencies, Fugazi,Egghunt,  Cigar,  Descendants, Zeke, Millincollin, The Offspring.... Mostly stuff from skateboarding videos.

daeman
daeman Dork
10/1/18 5:16 p.m.

Another vote for pennywise.

Also rancid, snfu, nofx, millencolin, the atari's, alkaline trio, dropkick Murphy's, lag wagon, fugazi all have some stuff I like.

For a bit of an Australian take on punk, check out frenzal rhomb, radio birdman, cosmic psychos, the hard-ons and dunerats

failboat
failboat UberDork
10/1/18 5:47 p.m.

I think green day and blink 182s first 3 albums deserve a mention as well

BenB
BenB Reader
10/1/18 6:02 p.m.

+1 on The Interruptors, Soviettes, and Tsunami Bomb! Also, don’t forget The Distillers and Brody Dalle’s later projects.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/1/18 6:08 p.m.

That's because punk died after maybe '82.

Only half not serious, but plenty of pop punk, and fringe stuff is great.

punk-a-billy? The Reverend Horton Heat.

Smart punk moving into transgender, but great in any light(yes, really)? Against Me.

Pop Punk? Aforementioned Green Day, Blink is okay.

What about the Police? Outlandis d'Amour.

Pre-Rancid? Operation Ivy is maybe on equal ground with Zeppelin for me. Seminal.

I'm a fan of the CBGB stuff, but there is a ton to be mined there you may not have heard of: Handsome Dick Manitoba, Rocket from the Tomb, the Slits, tons more.

Sorry, you asked for new stuff.

the Offspring, the Black Halos, Dillinger Four, the Voodoo Glow Skulls, Lagwagon, Dropkick Murphys, NOFX, Bad Religion, 

I know I'm missing some stuff, and I'm old, so these may all be a known commodity, but that's some of what I like.

Oh yeah, Me First and the Gimme Gimmies. Punk covers of everything. Very fun. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/1/18 8:35 p.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy :

Most of those bands weren't "new" when I was playing in clubs 25+ years ago. cheeky

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
10/1/18 9:17 p.m.

Strung out was great back in the day, and they are still putting out records. In fact, they just released an acoustic EP. Their recent Transmission.Alpha.Delta LP is almost like a prog metal record...They developed in an interesting way.

If you missed them the first time around, I'd 2nd the Millencolin recommendation (Especially the Life on a Plate LP).

A band I dig a lot that no one knows about is The Invasives. They are from Canada and used to be called "Married to Music." Their Sweet Kicking and Screaming album is a big favorite of mine:

click

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/1/18 9:25 p.m.

Start with these:

Teenage Bottlerocket(watch the video for head banger)

Against Me!(listen to white crosses album start to finish)

Rise Against(listen to Give it All and crank it the hell up)

Social Distortion(pick anything)

Anti-Flag(start with Good and Ready, then explore the American Fall album)

Voodoo Glow Skulls(try their cover of Charlie Brown to see if it’s your thing)

When you’re done with your homework report back and we can go from there.  

I’ve seen 100+ punk acts live, so I could go on all night but i will not.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
10/2/18 6:14 a.m.
wheelsmithy said:

Me First and the Gimme Gimmies. Punk covers of everything. Very fun. 

I love that band. Listen to their covers of Desperado, Earl Had to Die, and Ill be there. Super good stuff.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 7:30 a.m.

I forgot I had more stuff then I remembered I have some Social Distortion and all the Offsprings albums. I also have most of the Dropkick Murphy albums.

I should check out more Pennywise cause I like their song "F&*k Authority".

I think part of my problem is I am not really a fan of pop punk or a lot of the hardcore stuff. Also a lot of stuff seems overly produced and has just lost that raw edge of the old stuff unless it is basically screaming.

I'll check out these suggestions today.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/18 7:36 a.m.

No one has mentioned the Transplants? Tim Armstrong, skinhead Rob, and Travis Barker together at once. 

Otherwise, yea, I've been listening to the same stuff for 20 years now, most of it listed here already. 

impulsive
impulsive Reader
10/2/18 7:37 a.m.

lol NOFX, Blink182 & Green Day

Rixe

Kontatto

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/18 10:15 a.m.

My three suggestions:

Off!

War on Women