1 2
Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/2/18 10:54 a.m.

A lot of links below are to bandcamp; go get the browser plugin that gives you a volume adjustment! I have no idea why their built-in player doesn't have one...

+1 for the Soviettes

The Observers

Night Birds

Operation S

Snuff

NoMeansNo (a rare band where my favorite recording is a live album; "Live and Cuddly"; they only recently knocked off, but had been active from '79 to a couple years ago; I think their mostly-alter-ego band The Hanson Brothers are still playing. Also awesome, but all Ramones-style songs about beer and hockey. Wildly different from NoMeansNo.)

The Spits

The Briefs

The Stops

Bottlenose Koffins

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 11:38 a.m.

if you don't have all the old stuff covered, i'll also suggest:

Minor Threat

Government Issue

State Of Alert

Teen Idles

Dag Nasty

The Dicks

The Vandals

Germs

MDC

Fear

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 12:55 p.m.

So after going thru the first page some stuff I have really liked so far that I didn't know, The Interrupters, The Soviettes, Zeke, Cosmic Pyschos (I really liked the song "Nice Day To Go To The Pub"), Dune Rats, Rocket From the Tomb,

There was some stuff posted that I had either forgotten or forgotten to mention that I do like Descendants (Milo Goes to College is such a good album), Radio Birdman (I have a decent amount of their stuff), The Offspring, The Distillers, Operation Ivy, Fugazi (at least some of their stuff), NOFX (I like some don't like some), Bad Religion,

Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned that I like The Reatards, Dog Party, Dead Boys, The Exploited, Black Flag,

I fcking hate Rise Against and E36 M3 that sounds like Rise Against. They are pretty much the reason I struggle with modern punk cause I feel like half the bands sound like that or Green Day. Sorry not sorry.

Really I'd say Oi! is my favorite subgenre of punk.

Just for some reference these are some favorite songs of mine

Warriors- Blitz https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHEnHY5NGY

I'm so Gone- The Reatards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz-RDjIPfF0

Suspect Device- Stiff Little Fingers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKsN5cj9ehs

White Riot- The Clash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m_2XGm9GqQ

Riot- UK Subs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBJxS21CRdQ

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 12:55 p.m.
impulsive said:

Rixe

I love this.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 1:27 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

if you don't have all the old stuff covered, i'll also suggest:

Minor Threat

Government Issue

State Of Alert

Teen Idles

Dag Nasty

The Dicks

The Vandals

Germs

MDC

Fear

I have some Minor Threat and Vandals. Know some of those other bands. I'll check the others out.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
10/2/18 1:34 p.m.
Ransom said:

The Observers

Night Birds

The Spits

The Stops

Really like these.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 1:42 p.m.
Patrick said:

Rise Against(listen to Give it All and crank it the hell up)

Good music for doing donuts or hitting the knockoff Wangan...and now I'm going through the rest of the NFSU2 soundtrack laugh

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/2/18 3:01 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

True, but new compared to some of the OP's mentioned stuff.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/2/18 3:17 p.m.

Because I don’t think they were mentioned:

Circle Jerks (or OFF! if we’re looking for “new” and not just “new to me.”)

The Queers

FIFTEEN/Crimpshrine

Screaching Weasel

Down by Law

Pegboy

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/2/18 3:26 p.m.

Green day sucks and it’s a travesty that they are in the rock hall and joe cocker is not.

had to get that off my chest.

check out the Riverboat Gamblers 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/2/18 3:27 p.m.

Before I forget- band out of Arizona called authority zero. Their first two albums, a passage in time and andiamo- are amazing. Best way I can describe it is a mix of speed punk, dick dale, and ska. Love it. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
10/2/18 3:47 p.m.

Not new but not mentioned either

Negative Approach

JFA

Fang

Necros

Vatican Commandos

Dissonance

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/2/18 3:56 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

In reply to Ian F :

True, but new compared to some of the OP's mentioned stuff.

I suppose.  I guess just based on what he originally posted, I assume most of the "big" bands from the last couple of decades wouldn't be new to him.  Perhaps an incorrect assumption.

Punk has always been an outlier genre for me - I know about it, but don't actively seek it out.  Because my old bass player has followed it so intently since the mid-80's and is always seeking out new bands to this day, 90% of the bands mentioned I've heard of - so I just figure anyone who listens to punk a lot has heard of them as well.

I went to soo many shows back in the late 80's and early 90's, I have no idea how many of those bands I probably saw.

daeman
daeman Dork
10/2/18 5:37 p.m.

In reply to 93EXCivic :

How bloody good is "nice day to go to the pub"!, Probably my fave cosmic psychos song. That or "drinking with the SAS".

Glad a couple of the recommendations hit the spot.

The chats - on smoko

Patrick
10/2/18 8:44 p.m.
Mndsm said:

Before I forget- band out of Arizona called authority zero. Their first two albums, a passage in time and andiamo- are amazing. Best way I can describe it is a mix of speed punk, dick dale, and ska. Love it. 

Seen them live.  Excellent recommendation.

The Chats.... simple back to basics and it works 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/2/18 9:00 p.m.
Patrick said:
Mndsm said:

Seen them live.  Excellent recommendation.

The Chats.... simple back to basics and it works 

I'm surprised anyone else has heard of them. Not hipster surprised either. They rip live, and rattlin' bog is a fun show closer. 

Patrick
10/2/18 9:53 p.m.

Mndsm, these are the live shows i can remember, not counting all the small local stuff and opening acts.  I’m certain there are glaring omissions because I’ve got some concussion related memory problems, but...

Authority Zero

Flogging molly

dropkick murphys

the casualties

mighty mighty bosstones

the tossers

riverboat gamblers

hot water music

social distortion

reverend peyton’s big damn band

the horrorpops

nofx

mxpx

rancid

the queers

the vandon arms

jay reatard

Bouncing souls

Tsol

anti nowhere league

teenage bottlerocket 

Reagan youth

street dogs

voodoo glow skulls

Bad religion 

reel big fish

new found glory

Alkaline trio

anti flag

lagwagon

tiger army

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
10/3/18 10:10 a.m.

Seriously set a Pandora station to The Descendents and Operation Ivy. You will find everything you like off of that.

Hasbro
Hasbro SuperDork
10/3/18 11:05 a.m.

A little story;

In the mid seventies, maybe '76, a few of my friends and I went to some tiny dive bar south of San Antonio in the middle of nowhere, possibly near China Grove (of Doobies renown) to see The Ramones. Had never heard of them but somebody had tickets so what the heck. It was a very low ceilinged honky tonk and the band was up on a platform. Joey, being tall, had to stoop or he'd hit the ceiling. He couldn't wear his iconic hat. The place was probably licensed for 50 or 100 people max but there were maybe 200 people. They really rocked the house.

I know the band members all used Ramone as their last name but I think they were billed as Johnny and the Ramones? Not sure about that, though.

HFmaxi
HFmaxi Reader
10/3/18 11:07 a.m.

Definitely some new bands to check out from this thread. My additions since this seems to be growing into ska-punk and punk other:

Fishbone

Gogol Bordello (don't bother with seekers and finders album though)

The Muffs

poopshovel again
10/3/18 3:40 p.m.

In reply to Hasbro :

That’s AWESOME!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/3/18 3:53 p.m.
HFmaxi said:

Definitely some new bands to check out from this thread. My additions since this seems to be growing into ska-punk and punk other:

Fishbone

Gogol Bordello (don't bother with seekers and finders album though)

The Muffs

Oh we can do ska-punk now?! I love Less Than Jake and they're from the home of the Challenge! I just saw them a month or two ago and they've still got it.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/4/18 9:10 a.m.

Angry Samoans

poopshovel again
10/6/18 12:49 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Angry Samoans

Fearless Iranians

Also I somehow forgot to mention the Minutemen. Not “new” but perhaps new to the OP. Maybe punk rawk? Maybe not? Maybe go berkeley yourself. But on my top 10 bands of all time regardless.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vkmevr3y2vIF3rn4LUBW8v1Yj9cLGTZoYLQPGciGtPzATyg0f3obcaOETmsRNeFN