CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
7/23/08 9:10 p.m.

I cant have a bike. Lots of reasons, parents, family and even though it can be safe, i like living with all of me working and looking like it does now.

Ive been looking at personal water crafts. Jet skiis. I live 15 minutes or less from beautiful lake erie so i have the water part down.

I want a one maybe two passenger.

CHEAP>

Ideas?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua Dork
7/23/08 9:47 p.m.

Buy one blown up. Rebuild it, include a port job. They are still 2 stroke like they were a few years ago right?

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/23/08 10:12 p.m.

Money pits, in my opinion...at least, the fun ones are.

Bryce

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/23/08 10:42 p.m.

Check into insurance prices before you buy. I have also heard that if you own two the insurance can be very high on the second because they know you wont be driving it rather many friends.

My suggestion, take up sailboat racing. Cleveland has many good clubs with active fleets. Laser Jet 14 Thistle J22

https://eycweb.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=11424

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
7/23/08 10:45 p.m.

Older ones are 2 stroke newer are 4 stroke. Some are even turbocharged.

Did I understand you correctly? Beautiful Lake Erie? 1 those 2 things don't go together (I lived on the lake a few years ago) and 2 with the waves the lake makes you might want to consider a 3 seater.

2 seaters can get mighty uncomfortable in rough water.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/23/08 10:54 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Older ones are 2 stroke newer are 4 stroke. Some are even turbocharged.

My uncle's are supercharged. Let me tell you, there's something cool about supercharger whine while flying over the water at 60mph.

Of course, his are pretty new, and top-shelf.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
7/23/08 11:54 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
carguy123 wrote: Older ones are 2 stroke newer are 4 stroke. Some are even turbocharged.
My uncle's are supercharged. Let me tell you, there's something cool about supercharger whine while flying over the water at 60mph. Of course, his are pretty new, and top-shelf.

friend of mine's family has a honda aquatrax turbocharged, if you go wide open, you can't let go until 65mph and it stops accelerating because if you let one finger go, you might not be able to hold on with the other 3

WilD
WilD Reader
7/24/08 8:35 a.m.

If you want really cheap, look at the older stand-up models. It is an entirely different experience than the sit downs, and require quite a bit more athleticism but can be had for steep discounts. The genuine Kawasaki JetSki is what you would want in a standup. I have a 1985 550cc (two stroke of course) and it was a lot of fun. I haven't taken it to the water for several years now, but maintenace was easy and it was fun even with a large man clinging to it despite its small size.

My parents have a Seadoo XP two seater they bought new in the late ninties. It is a 720cc two stroke and makes something like 85 horsepower. It can be scary fast. Which reminds me, get a good pair of goggles. It is hard to keep your eyes open if they are unprotected while you are screaming over the waves at 60mph.

On another note, in response to a post above, I didn't realize anyone insured these things...

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/24/08 8:46 a.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Check into insurance prices before you buy. I have also heard that if you own two the insurance can be very high on the second because they know you wont be driving it rather many friends. My suggestion, take up sailboat racing. Cleveland has many good clubs with active fleets. Laser Jet 14 Thistle J22 https://eycweb.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=11424

You can't seriously be suggesting sailboat racing to save money. Unless you're thinking he should crew on someone else's boat. That's what I do. Lots of fun and I take care of my racing bug on the cheap (as in free plus free beer after the race on the way into the dock).

aircooled
aircooled Dork
7/24/08 10:27 a.m.

I would think cheap jet ski's would be easy to find these days, they are almost a required accessory of the no down payment mortgage, big truck, jet ski and quad carrying toy hauler, don't worry it's a simple low monthly payment life style that seems to have been rather popular in the past few years.

jrw1621
jrw1621 New Reader
7/24/08 11:36 a.m.
stumpmj wrote: You can't seriously be suggesting sailboat racing to save money. Unless you're thinking he should crew on someone else's boat. That's what I do. Lots of fun and I take care of my racing bug on the cheap (as in free plus free beer after the race on the way into the dock).

True, my comments were not about saving money rather just a different way to spend the dollars that he would spend on a jet ski. You can also make a lifetime activity out of sailboating unlike Jet ski. Also, as you noted, there is the ability to race on other peoples and bigger boats.

Your profile shows you are on "The Rock", "The Ile." Have I seen you on the race course during the last few Bayview-Macks, The Trans Erie, The Mills, etc.? I crew on a Schock 35 for the big stuff, a T-10 for Weds nights and Thistles for "just fun"; all out of Sandusky, OH.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/24/08 12:51 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Your profile shows you are on "The Rock", "The Ile." Have I seen you on the race course during the last few Bayview-Macks, The Trans Erie, The Mills, etc.? I crew on a Schock 35 for the big stuff, a T-10 for Weds nights and Thistles for "just fun"; all out of Sandusky, OH.

I don't do the long races because of time constraints. We have a Wednesday night series all summer long. I crew on a 33 ft Yamaha; mainsail and jib trimmer. I'd like to do longer races but the wife, the house, the car, and so on conspire to limit my time.

914Driver
914Driver HalfDork
7/24/08 1:21 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: My suggestion, take up sailboat racing. Cleveland has many good clubs with active fleets. Laser Jet 14 Thistle J22 https://eycweb.memberstatements.com/tour/tours.cfm?tourid=11424

Actually if yo go to the docks during a Regatta, ask around who's looking for crew. Good experience. Watch & learn and get to know what boats will fit your life style. And crewing is free.

Dan

Jet 14
Hobie 17
Thistle
J-29

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/24/08 1:30 p.m.

Are you in college? See if your school has a sailboat team. Sailing teams are also a good way to hang out with athletic women in bathing suits. It's also the excitement of racing without the stress. I've held conversations with people in other boats while running downwind (no way to go any faster, and no tactical advantage to be gained by gibing).

Sailing other people's boats is fun. It's like renting a race-car for free.

The most fun boats I've sailed are the smaller monohull racers. FJ-16s and Shields. I have never sailed a Hobie Cat before though, and those look like a blast. Roll-tacking is fun though.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
7/24/08 2:01 p.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: I cant have a bike. Lots of reasons, parents, family and even though it can be safe, i like living with all of me working and looking like it does now.

I think a PWC probably has just as much potential to mess you up as a motorcycle, if you're looking at it from a safety aspect. Plus, unless you live on the water you have to haul the thing somewhere to use it, where a motorcycle you can ride right out of your driveway.

Others mentioned sailing - if you think small and fiberglass (i.e. Sailfish boats or similar) it can be a real cheap sport. The expense curve does rise rapidly once you start looking at bigger boats so the best thing to do is make friends with someone who already owns a boat. My old college roommate had a 'C' scow sailboat and it was great for me - I got to crew on the thing without having to spend any money (except to chip in for the beer) or do any maintenance.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 New Reader
7/26/08 11:01 p.m.

well no sail boat racing for me. i just need an adrenaline toy. (besides cars) something cheaper and easier and quick to do. (please keep all comments about that line to yourselves)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
7/27/08 1:27 a.m.
CarKid1989 wrote: well no sail boat racing for me. i just need an adrenaline toy. (besides cars) something cheaper and easier and quick to do. (please keep all comments about that line to yourselves)

You need to find yourself a girl, mate.

Or a mountain bike. Downhill can get pretty intense.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/27/08 7:16 a.m.

yes mountain bike

http://www.raysmtb.com/

you can ride all year long at rays.. you lucky lucky man. Go down there get scars.. have fun

d_jabsd
d_jabsd GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/08 11:24 a.m.
ignorant wrote: yes mountain bike http://www.raysmtb.com/ you can ride all year long at rays.. you lucky lucky man. Go down there get scars.. have fun

That place looks incredible.

I have family in Cleveland, so I think will need to check that place out next time i'm in the area.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/27/08 8:31 p.m.

next time I am in the area.. I'm riding rays....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c1jXgp9aTQU0eAjdqQnG4mU9KWVrWEhOcZcPXsdOZY2gASw8f1SsS3bSDFRu4sj6