BadPax
BadPax New Reader
6/16/24 9:43 p.m.

Greetings Hive--I am stumped on a project at work and this place is full of people who know just about everything.  I am tasked with making a fan pull air through a tube of dessicant to dry air in an enclosure.  The problem is the fan I was given to work with is not something I am very familiar with.  The fan is an NMB model 08080EA-12S-E6D, which is basically two 4-wire PWM 12 volt dc fans sandwiched together.  I need a stand-alone fan controller that can run this fan and vary the speed of the fan.  The problem I am running into, is the large current draw of this fan (9.8 amps).  I ordered a small fan controller from Amazon for about 20 bucks...I was able to run one of the fans with it, but it cannot power both fans simultaneously.  Looking for any recommendations for a fan controller that can run this fan and handle the current load.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/17/24 12:37 a.m.

You need to power the fans directly from a 12V DC power supply. 

That means the fan controller will not handle any power for the fans, it will only generate the 5V 25kHz PWM control signal.

[PWM specs based on data sheet for fan, also fairly standard for 4-wire CPU fans]

What are you going to have decide how fast the fans need to run?

If all you need is a manual knob, this one for $10 probably will work.  Plus a 12V 10A power supply.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/24 2:51 a.m.

What about using a mosfet to take the load? Basically a high speed relay that can handle a PWM signal. 

This should do the job.

https://a.co/d/1l5qMbm

BadPax
BadPax New Reader
6/17/24 10:21 a.m.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I was thinking the 12vdc would have to run through the controller, if the 12vdc can run right off a power supply, that eliminates the issues with the current draw.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6wDAFYwbwqMJigqyyyLAjGyqlUByRKQI8rSTvv3tWE1LXasmZfJ2WaPUQN6bdOBQ