1 2 3 4
calteg
calteg Reader
11/13/12 12:12 p.m.
failboat wrote: I have heard good things about the Fallout series, but I have yet to put the disc in my Xbox that I borrowed from my brother months ago.

Don't do it. You'll lose yourself completely. I think Fallout3/New Vegas are the best games I've ever played, bar none.

Duke
Duke PowerDork
11/13/12 12:12 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Huh? I've played that game on both PS3 and '360, and neither of them had a 180-degree snap turn. Are we talking about the same game here?

PS3 here. Maybe it was just a viewpoint turn, not a physical turn, but if I pressed down on the sticks, I was suddenly looking directly away from the monster, and as I moved around, the POV would snap back and forth. During the heat of battle, I just couldn't lighten my thumb pressure enough to stop activating the R3/L3 buttons .

It happened in plenty of other games, too, but in most other ones I could map those buttons to a null control so it didn't matter. In Oblivion, that was not an option.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 12:36 p.m.
calteg wrote:
failboat wrote: I have heard good things about the Fallout series, but I have yet to put the disc in my Xbox that I borrowed from my brother months ago.
Don't do it. You'll lose yourself completely. I think Fallout3/New Vegas are the best games I've ever played, bar none.

You earn a +1 for this......I have to agree with you there. BTW, if you need money in new vegas just glitch at gun runners. I cleaned out their inventory 4 times last night and took all their money. Oh, and I recommend getting the ultimate version of the game for all the DLC content.....its cheaper than buying in the marketplace, and killing Deathclaws with a Thompson SMG(complete Honest Hearts DLC) is greatly rewarding.....I meandered into quarry junction and wiped those berkeleyers out for fun.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/13/12 12:37 p.m.

In reply to calteg:

In that case, I feel like I need to get it out of the way before the new Grand Theft Auto comes out. Or at least before I buy the new GTA.

I THINK the one I borrowed from my brother is in fact New Vegas.

Although isnt there one that takes place in Washington DC? Thats sorta kinda close to home for me :D

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 12:40 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: After reading what some of you said about linearity, I might try Fallout New Vegas again. I think my failure was that I didn't spend enough time wandering the wastelands and toughening up the poor guy before I started in on the storyline. I kept dying in that hotel in Primm, and I just gave up on it. Sounds like it's time for another shot.

I honestly would just stay out of the main story line if possible......meandering around and doing random things is what that game is about. BTW, the whole Skyrim "arrow to the knee" thing came from a random charachter in New Vegas.....i've found the guy twice and he says "I used to be a wanderer like you, until I took a bullet in the knee"

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/13/12 12:49 p.m.

I lost my New Vegas save when my PS3 crashed. I'm really looking forward to playing through the Ultimate Edition on my computer.

I really like Fallout 3 because it takes place around DC (where I live and grew up), but New Vegas has a much better plot and way more stuff to do and explore.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 12:51 p.m.

New vegas is about half the size of skyrims world isn't it?

Edit: And that sucks about your ps3 save......I almost lost my 300hr skyrim save when my 360's 250gb hard drive started going bad.....it corrupted all but one of my saves. Thankfully it only set me back an hour or so....

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/13/12 12:55 p.m.
yamaha wrote: New vegas is about half the size of skyrims world isn't it? Edit: And that sucks about your ps3 save......I almost lost my 300hr skyrim save when my 360's 250gb hard drive started going bad.....it corrupted all but one of my saves. Thankfully it only set me back an hour or so....

You're right about the size of the world. But it takes less time to travel "on foot." Also, I'm a Cold-War history buff, which is one of the big reasons I like the Fallout series so much.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/13/12 1:05 p.m.

Stop it guys. I like cold war stuffs too. Why have I not played this game yet?

Because Forza.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
11/13/12 1:18 p.m.

I think you guys have already covered my main gripes.

I want to play a involved single-player campaign or co-op with people I know, not get my ass handed to me by racist 12 year olds.

I want to be able to sit down and play, even if I only have five minutes to do so at a time. That means let me save whenever I want. If I want to abuse save-anywhere to nanny-save a boss fight, that's my own business.

I really like having non-combat options in games. Deus Ex and Fallout both allow you to upgrade abilities that let you talk your way through places instead of having to go in guns blazing, Mass Effect did to some extent as well. I really appreciate being able to solve as much conflict as possible diplomatically.

I like seeing that my actions have effects on the world, though I understand that adds a lot of potentially unused code to a game. Immediate though is the town in Fallout 3 with the nuclear bomb in it and the permanent ramifications of your actions in regards to it.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
11/13/12 1:27 p.m.
yamaha wrote: BTW, if you need money in new vegas just glitch at gun runners. I cleaned out their inventory 4 times last night and took all their money.

You explain this right now pls.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/13/12 1:29 p.m.
failboat wrote: Stop it guys. I like cold war stuffs too. Why have I not played this game yet? Because Forza.

You don't have 100% in Forza yet? I am disappoint.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/13/12 1:34 p.m.

I spend so much time dicking around in Forza, I don't have anywhere close to 100%. I bet I don't even have 25%. What can I say I still like playing with "toy" cars.

Horizon on the other hand. Probably only a day or two of racing left and I'll have the game completed.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/13/12 1:39 p.m.

Damn it, now I am going to have to start playing New Vegas again. I started it right after finishing FO 3 and thought that they were so similar in game play that I needed a break.... and that was 1 year ago.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/13/12 1:59 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: BORDERLANDS!!!! Great series if you like RPGs or Shooters or games with a good story or humor or your alive. This is easily one of the best game series I have played in a long time and I think that I have like 30+ hours into my main campaign on the second one. The first is a little shorter but if you are new to the game it is a solid 25+ hours before the DLCs which probably add another 6-10 hours overall. I can't talk this game up enough. There are 87 Bazillion guns in the game (this was an advertisement). So much cool stuff you can do. For example. Grenade mod that makes your grenades split into 9 little grenades that will then seek enemies and light them on fire and send you the health that they took from your enemies and give it back to you! Another fun one is each character has an ability - my guy is a commando with a big ass turret that I can deploy. How cool is that.

Another Borderlands junkie here. Love this game! Slowly working my way through BL2 with some friends.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/13/12 2:44 p.m.

I'll be waiting to get Borderlands 2 after the inevitable Game of the Year edition with all the expansion packs comes out for around $20. I am fully invested in Skyrim right now anyway and I learned my lesson with the 1st one. Borderlands RULES.

Side note: the wife and I busted out Halo 3 last weekend to play with my 14 year old nephew, who was staying the night. I've been playing games for about 28 years. It didn't matter: he schooled the both of us in the art of cheap kills to the point where my wife and I were throwing controllers like kids.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/13/12 3:03 p.m.

I miss being able to do slpit screens. As big as TVs are these days it would be cool, oh well.

I really like the Fallout games and Borderlands 1. It is cool to just wander around and explore.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 3:34 p.m.
Grizz wrote:
yamaha wrote: BTW, if you need money in new vegas just glitch at gun runners. I cleaned out their inventory 4 times last night and took all their money.
You explain this right now pls.

take a bad condition item to them, and if they have that same item in their inventory, sell your E36 M3ty one then buy your E36 M3ty one back......except they'll give you the nice one. Resell the nice one back to them for profit.......it only works at Gun Runners though. You can repeat this over and over......I use a Marksman carbine and assualt carbine generally.

Grizz, I only know it works on XBL, but if you're on 360.....send me a message and I'll walk you through it mtx95sho

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 3:36 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I think you guys have already covered my main gripes. I want to play a involved single-player campaign or co-op with people I know, not get my ass handed to me by racist 12 year olds. I want to be able to sit down and play, even if I only have five minutes to do so at a time. That means let me save whenever I want. If I want to abuse save-anywhere to nanny-save a boss fight, that's my own business. I really like having non-combat options in games. Deus Ex and Fallout both allow you to upgrade abilities that let you talk your way through places instead of having to go in guns blazing, Mass Effect did to some extent as well. I really appreciate being able to solve as much conflict as possible diplomatically. I like seeing that my actions have effects on the world, though I understand that adds a lot of potentially unused code to a game. Immediate though is the town in Fallout 3 with the nuclear bomb in it and the permanent ramifications of your actions in regards to it.

I think this sums up your complaint pretty well with multiplayer

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/13/12 5:54 p.m.

Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands 1 & 2, Portal 2, etc. I have logged hundreds of hours across these games. Some of the best storylines in gaming history...

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/13/12 6:01 p.m.

As far as FPS games, IMHO, Homefront still has the single player storyline to beat.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
11/14/12 5:30 a.m.

Since I've gotten back into 8 bit, we've been talking about price. People bitch about $60 price tags, but fail to remember old game costs. I remember paying $40 of hard earned 8 year old dollars for this:

The0retical
The0retical Reader
11/14/12 6:08 a.m.

I miss old school RPGs that tell a story. I grew up with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Final Fantasy VI,VII, VIII and X, Skies of Arcadia, and Grandia. I really feel like all the good story tellers left the gaming industry in the 2000s along with many of the good composers.

As far as this generation goes Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia are the only games that managed to hold my attention and make me feel like I was being told a story. I do have a stack of games I need to work through yet due to how much I've been traveling this year.

Maybe I'm jaded but I really don't like my games to be multiplayer experiences. I like to lose myself in the world like I would a good book, not listen to E36 M3 talking 14 year olds.

jde
jde Reader
11/14/12 8:16 a.m.
yamaha wrote: I think this sums up your complaint pretty well with multiplayer

Considering last week I had to listen to the neighbor's high school kid scream, "berkeleying God Damn Motherberkeleying berkeley!!!!" over and over and over (Halo 4 on XBL, I have to assume) while I worked on my house, this amuses me.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/14/12 9:26 a.m.

^^^ If there is only 1 shred of truth on the internet, this is it.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rgFzR3jhC90XrxFAStwPxw3OQSNoT9bT5UVc0GKUZs1K3Sa72Vkm9C0Rkgb5bLPD