1 2 3 4
Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
11/14/12 10:07 a.m.

In reply to yamaha: PS3 here, but I'll try it anyway.

Most of the time I just sell guns I don't use to them for money. And then I promptly waste it on ammo and guns I want. Going full Melee/unarmed gives you tons of money though. Aside from special guns you can just sell everything and roll in the caps.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/14/12 10:24 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: Since I've gotten back into 8 bit, we've been talking about price. People bitch about $60 price tags, but fail to remember old game costs. I remember paying $40 of hard earned 8 year old dollars for this:

True enough. I saved for a long time to buy this:

as I recall it was close to $50. In what, 1988? Which makes $60 nowadays seem downright cheap.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/14/12 10:41 a.m.
The0retical wrote: I miss old school RPGs that tell a story. I grew up with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Final Fantasy VI,VII, VIII and X, Skies of Arcadia, and Grandia. I really feel like all the good story tellers left the gaming industry in the 2000s along with many of the good composers. As far as this generation goes Mass Effect and Tales of Vesperia are the only games that managed to hold my attention and make me feel like I was being told a story. I do have a stack of games I need to work through yet due to how much I've been traveling this year. Maybe I'm jaded but I really don't like my games to be multiplayer experiences. I like to lose myself in the world like I would a good book, not listen to E36 M3 talking 14 year olds.

There are a few JRPG's in this console generation that are supposed to be good. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon on the 360, Radiant Historia on the DS (supposed to be this generation's Chrono Trigger), and there are a few on the Wii too, not including the two Zelda games.

Honestly, if you are looking for those types of games, fire up the old PS2 and go digging around the bargain bins at Gamestop. When a lot of the big stores were putting PS2 games on clearance, and when some brick and mortar stores were going out of business, I went out and picked up a ton of these for later use. One of the standouts that came out late in the PS2 life cycle is Rogue Galaxy. That is one to get in my book. It reminds me a lot of Skies of Arcadia, but with a better story that focuses on a band of space pirates. I played it for a few hours, and it is AWESOME.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/14/12 10:53 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
Appleseed wrote: Since I've gotten back into 8 bit, we've been talking about price. People bitch about $60 price tags, but fail to remember old game costs. I remember paying $40 of hard earned 8 year old dollars for this:
True enough. I saved for a long time to buy this: as I recall it was close to $50. In what, 1988? Which makes $60 nowadays seem downright cheap.

NES games were usually in the neighborhood of $30-50, depending on the game. The first game I remember buying was Tiger-Heli for the NES. I paid $39.99 for it at Service Merchandise. I think I was 6.

I also remember buying Double Dragon II and Zelda II for $49.99 each at Child World, where I bought many a game back then.

Game prices really started to go crazy with the 16-bit systems. Some SNES and Genesis games were as much as $100! I know Phantasy Star IV was going for that much for a while. I bought it on clearance somewhere for $20, and that was the deal of the century back then. I think Virtua Racing was actually over $100 because it was the only Genesis game that could display polygon 3D graphics because of the chip set in the cartridge. It's pretty much unplayable by today's standards, but back then it was mind blowing!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/14/12 1:44 p.m.

The other thing I miss about old games? Points! Most of the new ones are story or mission based. That's not a bad thing, but remember when you could brag about a high score? Now it's making it to a certain level or point in the game.

singleslammer
singleslammer HalfDork
11/14/12 1:55 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Interesting thought. I will have to check out the two you mentioned for 360.

Also, Rogue Galaxy is almost $40 dollars shipped on Amazon. New copy of course. Used are pretty cheap.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/14/12 3:07 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Interesting thought. I will have to check out the two you mentioned for 360. Also, Rogue Galaxy is almost $40 dollars shipped on Amazon. New copy of course. Used are pretty cheap.

Those games I mentioned for the 360 were developed by people who worked on the Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger games, so you know they are good. I actually have both, but haven't had the time to play them! I've only had them for a few years now...

Also, there are a few other JRPG's for the 360: Infinite Undiscovery and Last Remnant. I have one of those too, but I forget which one. This console generation doesn't have a lot of them.

If you can find Rogue Galaxy cheap, get it. You will not be disappointed. I'd buy now, because that's one of the ones that will skyrocket in price in the next few years because of its late release in the PS2's life. There are so many good PS2 JRPG's that it makes up for the lack of them in the current console generation.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
11/14/12 4:21 p.m.

SWMBO had Blue Dragon and loved it. She traded it in on something else before I got my hands on it, though.

Another vote for PS2 for RPG. Anybody else here a Suikoden fan? I even enjoyed IV (except for the four-person battle parties), but maybe that's because I grew up running around islands.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
11/14/12 6:35 p.m.

Suikoden 1/2 = amazing. That, plus FF7 and Super Mario RPG are my all time favourite rpgs.

Surprisingly enough, I'm really digging XCOM. While a strategy game, it really keeps you "in the dark" about what is going on, like what would actually happen if an unknown alien force that was hostile to earth invaded.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
11/14/12 7:19 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: SWMBO had Blue Dragon and loved it. She traded it in on something else before I got my hands on it, though. Another vote for PS2 for RPG. Anybody else here a Suikoden fan? I even enjoyed IV (except for the four-person battle parties), but maybe that's because I grew up running around islands.

I have the first Suikoden for the PS1. Great game! It was fun recruiting all the characters. My favorite RPG of all time is Chrono Trigger. That was the first game I've pulled an all-nighter with. I must have like 5-6 playthroughs on that game.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
11/14/12 11:07 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I have the first Suikoden for the PS1. Great game! It was fun recruiting all the characters. My favorite RPG of all time is Chrono Trigger. That was the first game I've pulled an all-nighter with. I must have like 5-6 playthroughs on that game.

Loved Chrono Trigger and had the same problem the first time through. As far as this generation goes I played FFXIII and Lost Odyssey both suffered from the irritating angsty teen syndrome. It must be the choices the American directors made for voice actors because I didn't mind it so much when it was just text.

Lost Odyssey in addition to the a fore mentioned issue took me a year to beat because by the 3rd time I chased the tower at the end I was sick of it and stopped playing with maybe 30 minutes left in the game, picked it back up on a whim to see how long was left a couple months ago. I'll have to try Blue Dragon. I really wish that the updated Shadow of the Colossus was coming to the 360 though since I loved that on the PS2. I also heard NIER was good, I'll grab that when I see it in the bargain bin next time.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/19/12 12:03 p.m.

Started playing Fallout New Vegas this weekend. I suck at it so far, but it is fun. Lost a bunch of caps playing a game of Caravan before I even knew how to play it, keep getting shot the f up and blowing through stimpacks like crazy, and I still don't understand what half the crap on my pip boy even means. I'll figure it out.

Im currently in Primm after doing most of what there was to do in Goodsprings. 1 or 2 more attempts to try and get into Bison Steve and I will give up and start wandering, lol.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
11/19/12 12:27 p.m.

Don't wander too far. The Cazadores in the graveyard will mess you up!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/19/12 1:37 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to yamaha: PS3 here, but I'll try it anyway. Most of the time I just sell guns I don't use to them for money. And then I promptly waste it on ammo and guns I want. Going full Melee/unarmed gives you tons of money though. Aside from special guns you can just sell everything and roll in the caps.

The nice thing is being able to get ALL THE AMMO from them, all their weapons, and all their money.......I tried unarmed and sucked at it. I just finished up Old World Blues last night, I took a thompson smg, 12.7 smg, hunting shotty, sniper rifle, and max ammo for each.....still almost got my arse handed to me by those robo scorpions. Then I discovered you could unload on them while using a stealth boy, and they couldn't find you. Made it much easier. Oh, I also destroyed everything in there. I think tonight I'll accept the Legion amnesty offer and go kill them all....

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/19/12 1:52 p.m.
failboat wrote: Started playing Fallout New Vegas this weekend. I suck at it so far, but it is fun. Lost a bunch of caps playing a game of Caravan before I even knew how to play it, keep getting shot the f up and blowing through stimpacks like crazy, and I still don't understand what half the crap on my pip boy even means. I'll figure it out. Im currently in Primm after doing most of what there was to do in Goodsprings. 1 or 2 more attempts to try and get into Bison Steve and I will give up and start wandering, lol.

You can always go back to the hotel once you're better armed......I normally went all the way to the mohave outpost before that anyways. Having a service rifle really makes that one easier. I've cleared that place out with a varmint rifle and silenced .22 before though, it wasn't easy, but stealth works well.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/19/12 1:57 p.m.

The best gun in New Vegas is called "This Machine." You need that gun. ASAP. Look up how to get it on the Fallout wiki.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/19/12 3:16 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: The best gun in *New Vegas* is called "This Machine." You need that gun. ASAP. Look up how to get it on the Fallout wiki.

In the mohave, with my cowboy perk, Medicine Stick(GRA named 45-70 lever) will take down anything an anti-material rifle will in one shot.....

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic HalfDork
11/19/12 3:42 p.m.

All I know is I can hardly wait for crime simulator V (GTA V) to come out. The seconds trailer looks nuts, I will be buying a PS3 just to play this game on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84&feature=b-mv

failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/20/12 6:11 a.m.

As I was warned...I am hooked on Fallout. Got about 4 hours of sleep last night because I kept telling myself "Its getting late, I'll turn it off in a few minutes..."

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/20/12 7:26 a.m.

I told you.

bastomatic
bastomatic Dork
11/20/12 8:44 a.m.

I'll have to try New Vegas. Fallout was okay, definitely a better story than most of this generation's games.

I went on the Playstation store and found that the classic Square games are all available as downloads for $10. So I'm playing through this right now again, like 20 years later.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/20/12 9:11 a.m.

This thread started me playing Fallout NV again, my wife does not thank you guys.

My favorite gun so far is That Gun. Its a 5.56 pistol, soo much fun.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
11/20/12 9:14 a.m.

I'm grinding away at the Borderlands Expansions right now trying to finish them on "Playthrough 2.5." This is ridiculously hard. Everything is a minimum of one level higher than me. The bosses at the end of Robot Revolution are obscene.

I pumped bullets into General Knoxx-trap for about 10 minutes straight.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/20/12 9:32 a.m.
bastomatic wrote: I'll have to try New Vegas. Fallout was okay, definitely a better story than most of this generation's games. I went on the Playstation store and found that the classic Square games are all available as downloads for $10. So I'm playing through this right now again, like 20 years later.

I don't remember there being a Jumbo Cactuar in the original Final Fantasy VI. What version are you playing?!

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/20/12 9:35 a.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: This thread started me playing Fallout NV again, my wife does not thank you guys. My favorite gun so far is That Gun. Its a 5.56 pistol, soo much fun.

Gun Runners Arsenal add on yields a non-named 5.56 pistol, and for the mele weapon inclined, an effin KATANA.....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HUNcWnJjH4hpXjJt2PMiZEEezyprF9xDl0GTguu41teT6ypdM7BE1IFMhXldrCkq