1 2 3 4
failboat
failboat SuperDork
11/20/12 5:49 p.m.

I was talking with my brother about Fallout NV (its his game). He said he thought Fallout 3 was a better game overall, or at least he enjoyed the environment more, and the way armor affected the damage you or enemies take on hits. If you ask the internet, you could spend days reading both sides of the argument.

Great now I am looking at the DLC.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/20/12 6:13 p.m.

In reply to failboat:

Its cheaper to buy the ultimate version of New Vegas than all the dlc add ons.....

The ultimate edition disk 2 can subsequently be loaded on any console to give whomever of your buddies the dlc as well. I warn you that the old world blues add on is pretty tough. Sierra Madre is as well. Honest Hearts isn't that tricky, and imho, getting the Thompson .45 smg is one of the best parts of the dlc.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
11/20/12 8:55 p.m.

I skimmed this thread, but this has probably already been covered....

I miss games that are challenging. A lot of the games mentioned in this thread simply aren't challenging, unless you put them on the hardest skill level. And even then, with autosaving/respawn points every 30 seconds you can repeat the same part of the game 10x until you pass it. Old platformers never let you do that. I was playing Earthworm Jim the other day, and that game is hard. Like most older games, 3 lives and you are done, with maybe a continue or two in there. I had a Metal Slug game on my xbox, and despite being only 6 levels long, I could never make it past level 4. You know what other game is hard? Z. I still play it on my desktop occasionally, and holy crap is it difficult. Don't try and put it on "easy" either - there are no difficulty settings.

I can't remember the last time I tried to look up a cheat code for a game because it was really berkeleying hard.

First person shooters: I miss HEALTH. One of the biggest things that makes the first Halo better than Halo 2 - Halo 19. Key component to all deathmatch games of the past. Without it, the game strategy goes down the toilet, ESPECIALLY in a 1v1 game.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
11/21/12 6:52 a.m.
failboat wrote: I was talking with my brother about Fallout NV (its his game). He said he thought Fallout 3 was a better game overall, or at least he enjoyed the environment more, and the way armor affected the damage you or enemies take on hits. If you ask the internet, you could spend days reading both sides of the argument. Great now I am looking at the DLC.

I like the environment of Fallout 3 better, because I've spent most of my life around the DC metro area. However, the plot is very linear and doesn't give much replay value.

New Vegas, on the other hand, has a non-linear plot with 4 or 5 different ways to "beat" the main quest. It also has a lot of mechanics that the previous one didn't.

And I thought the hardest add-on was Dead Money, too. In fact, that add-on was so difficult, I didn't even enjoy it. And you got almost no good items or perks out of it.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
11/25/12 12:35 p.m.

Not trying to be a small personal watercraft here, just passing on a deal.

I had sold my copy of Skyrim earlier this year, and was delighted to see that it's on sale now for 25 bucks on Amazon.

A quick trip to coinstar to empty out my change cup, and I have a copy heading my way!

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
11/26/12 8:12 a.m.
The0retical wrote: I miss old school RPGs that tell a story. I grew up with Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, Final Fantasy VI,VII, VIII and X, Skies of Arcadia, and Grandia. I really feel like all the good story tellers left the gaming industry in the 2000s along with many of the good composers.

The Infinity engine Baldur's Gate games, possibly excluding Icewind Dale II which just never grabbed my attention and was buggy, represent a real golden age of PC gaming. The Neverwinter Nights games were great for 3D, but the gameplay was not as compelling for some reason, and the soundtrack for Icewind Dale includes some tracks that are decent stand alone pieces of music. I don't think RPG fans, especially AD&D players, will ever have it so good again, although I'm not sure the stories themselves were all that great, but the voice acting and production quality were second to none. These also came out at the time games like Half Life and System Shock 2, and Deus Ex were released. Really a golden age for the PC game.

That being said, I just got back into gaming, and as much as I loved the BG games, I picked up Oblivion for the 360 and it is pretty cool. I played Morrowind for the original XBox and just got lost in it, but Oblivion I get so far and it is much improved. I'm sure Scrym is silid as well but will wait on it, my gaming time is limited.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/26/12 9:45 a.m.
Sky_Render wrote: And I thought the hardest add-on was *Dead Money*, too. In fact, that add-on was so difficult, I didn't even enjoy it. And you got almost no good items or perks out of it.

I won't even consider going into dead money until I'm lvl 50 with over a thousand stimpacks......I went in there once before and had to return to a save file prior to dead money......that sucked bad.

Its allegedly easy once you get the gun for the ghosts, but until then it blows.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/26/12 10:01 a.m.

OK. now that I have been playing New Vegas again, would anyone who has the Ultimate edition be willing to mail me the DLC disk which I will mail back?

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
11/28/12 9:07 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to failboat: Its cheaper to buy the ultimate version of New Vegas than all the dlc add ons..... The ultimate edition disk 2 can subsequently be loaded on any console to give whomever of your buddies the dlc as well. I warn you that the old world blues add on is pretty tough. Sierra Madre is as well. Honest Hearts isn't that tricky, and imho, getting the Thompson .45 smg is one of the best parts of the dlc.

I finally picked New Vegas back up, and you aren't kidding about Honest Hearts. First thing I did was mod my Thompson and 1911.

I also recently picked up the GRM-like mod of being able to repair things with other kinda similar things. So cool.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
11/28/12 10:17 p.m.

I think games these days are incredible. There are some great gems from the past but... either they're more awesome in hindsight, or YOU CAN STILL PLAY THEM.

Modern games? Sure, there are lots that suck because there are a LOT MORE GAMES coming out constantly. Of the good ones? Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Half Life 2, GTA, Gears of War... Portal! Whatever! Whatever you want in a game is out there. Sure, there are a ton of games that won't appeal to you. BFD. There are enough that will.

Games were better back in the day? Really? I bought the original Deus Ex because DE: Human Revolution was amazing and the original got better reviews. Well, the new one is better. Setting aside graphical advancements, the character is more real, believable, and pitiable, the gameplay is simultaneously more powerful with more option and more streamlined, the story is incredible with great endings.

Even little, simple games. Have you played Bastion? That game is the total package. They managed to make every aspect of the game work together as a cohesive whole. It's utterly simple and quick playing, scalable with character advancement, the art, music, and narrator all work together, and the story is woven in so subtly you don't realize you're playing something other than a cute 2-d hack-n-slash until you're completely hooked. The ending actually made me cry.

Again, there were gems in the past and it's easy to pick something from back in the day as the "Pinnacle" or whatever. But there were never so many constant options for incredible games coming out all the time.

If I had to wine about something from "back in the day" it would be that games are more mainstreamed and less for us horrible geeks. Not as much pure nerd humor.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/28/12 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Racer1ab:

Weapons mods for those are dirt cheap too.......you need to hit the ammo cap on 45acp and 45+p , then you can take down robots like they aren't even armored somehow.....

Rusted, send me an email with your address and I'll ship it over to you.......as long as I get it back(have to load it on the GF's console for xmas) We're only about 3hrs away, so it should be one or two day via post office.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
11/29/12 1:13 a.m.
yamaha wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: And I thought the hardest add-on was *Dead Money*, too. In fact, that add-on was so difficult, I didn't even enjoy it. And you got almost no good items or perks out of it.
I won't even consider going into dead money until I'm lvl 50 with over a thousand stimpacks......I went in there once before and had to return to a save file prior to dead money......that sucked bad. Its allegedly easy once you get the gun for the ghosts, but until then it blows.

I went in level 25 the first time and wrecked E36 M3. Once you get a police pistol you're golden. Gone in with a guy whose guns are at 100, stupid easy.

My favorite gun out of all of the DLC weapons. IIRC, it's one of the most powerful handguns in the game, slightly better than the .44, which is awesome, because .357 ammo is dirt cheap.

Fun facts, do whatever you can to get as much gold out as possible at the end. I got 3 bars out the first time by getting ripped out of my gourd on booze and buffout and dropping anything I didn't need. I think a bar sells for 10k at gun runners. Also, sell anything you don't need to the holograms for old world money, it doesn't have weight so you can leave with about 1000 or more if you do it right and that's also a ton of money. Which is useful if you buy as much ammo as I do.

There's another perk from lonesome road that stacks another 50 or 100 pounds(I can't remember right now) on top of strong back, and I have a guy with a strength of 10 so I feel like he's going to be loaded when I roll out of the Madre.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/29/12 9:09 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Racer1ab: Weapons mods for those are dirt cheap too.......you need to hit the ammo cap on 45acp and 45+p , then you can take down robots like they aren't even armored somehow..... Rusted, send me an email with your address and I'll ship it over to you.......as long as I get it back(have to load it on the GF's console for xmas) We're only about 3hrs away, so it should be one or two day via post office.

Thanks man. I was on Amazon yesterday and saw that we had a bunch of points on our Amazon CC so I got it for free.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/29/12 9:48 a.m.

In reply to Grizz:

I don't need money, I clear out gun runners and then fast travel at 650lbs around to the various dealers, sell off the weapons for all their ammunition. BTW, the crooked quartermaster is only alive in McCarren to be a stopping point for 6-8k rds of ammunition at a time. In the meantime, veronica still only has a power fist......

rusted, congrats.....I think you'll like it. Only have to put disc 2 in and save it to the hard drive.

Grizz
Grizz SuperDork
11/29/12 10:49 p.m.

In reply to yamaha:

I have 45000 rounds of 5 mm surplus.

Assault Carbine FTW.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/30/12 9:35 a.m.

In reply to Grizz:

Did that trick work on ps3 with gun runners?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1dsankfMRY1g4AxnyKpTw1DaaWQMgirTVvTsLzjp3VeBFZFeROwssmv9YVLB4AUr