Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/8/10 9:48 a.m.

Trying to make better use of my tools and workbench surfaces.

Question is: is there some sort of quick release fastener that I could use in lieu of bolts on my benchtop tools? I would find it ideal to be able to swap the sander, grinder, vice, etc.

I'm not opposed to drilling holes through the bench if I can swap multiple tools securely. Is there something like a bicycle hub quick release that could be used?

I should mention both work surfaces are 2 inches thick

maybe something like this, but stronger/longer bolt?

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/8/10 10:01 a.m.

I use magnets.

cwh
cwh SuperDork
7/8/10 10:12 a.m.

C clamps by the dozen.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
7/8/10 10:23 a.m.

Some people mount their vise, grinder, etc. to the bench using a modified trailer hitch receiver. Pull a hitch pin and bam, it's off.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/8/10 10:33 a.m.
cwh wrote: C clamps by the dozen.

That is what I do.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
7/8/10 1:38 p.m.

There are a number of ways to do this and this is a common subject in the wood-working mags I get.

The problem with straight c-clamps is sometimes the clamp gets in the way of tool function.

The cheapest/easiest is to mount the tool in question to a piece of plywood. This usually allows the clamps to be placed away from the tool for better access. Another benefit is if you make the mounting plate the same size for all tools, then you can build a cabinet with slots for the plates to slide into when not in use (Craftsman sells a ready-made version of this idea).

One option I like is threaded inserts and plastic knob-bolts. I had planned to use this method to mount my Strut-tamer to the work bench when needed.

Another option with the pre-mounted plywood idea is to isntall a wood-working type vise to the front of your bench. and add bench dogs to the bench. Or just add a clamping cleat to the bottom of the plywood mounting plate.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
7/8/10 2:05 p.m.

I use a piece of plywood 18" x 12" and a corresponding cutout with rabbeted edges in the tabletop.

Each tool gets a base. Each base drops into the hole and stays put without clamps because the mount plate fits onto a recess.

Shawn

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
7/8/10 2:43 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I use a piece of plywood 18" x 12" and a corresponding cutout with rabbeted edges in the tabletop. Each tool gets a base. Each base drops into the hole and stays put without clamps because the mount plate fits onto a recess. Shawn

I like that idea for smaller tools! My big vise and grinder I have bolted down because of the (ahem) unusually high pressure occasionally exerted on them.

I've been using C-clamps for the lighter tools, but you've got me thinking about retiring them..

ditchdigger
ditchdigger HalfDork
7/8/10 3:53 p.m.

The clamps you are looking for are toggle clamps made by de-sta-co

http://destacoclampstore.com/

Or there is the old woodworker standby the hold fast. These are driven into a drilled hole and wedge the item in place very securely. They are just tapped out with a hammer to reposition

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
7/8/10 4:05 p.m.
NYG95GA wrote: I like that idea for smaller tools!

That's what SHE said!

Sorry...

slantvaliant
slantvaliant HalfDork
7/8/10 5:00 p.m.

I'm thinking about trying a Lee Bench Plate for my presses. It might work for similarly-sized items.

jamscal
jamscal Dork
7/8/10 7:11 p.m.

I do the receiver mounted tools, I have a bunch now:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893174&highlight=tool+build

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
7/9/10 7:09 a.m.

I'm liking the receiver mount idea. How does it affect storage of tools when not in use?

jamscal
jamscal Dork
7/9/10 9:10 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I'm liking the receiver mount idea. How does it affect storage of tools when not in use?

Depends on the tool.

Most used tools say put, removed only for the lower use tools, which are in a cabinet, or on the floor (an old guy told me once that nothing ever fell off the floor) :)

Some of them can be flipped 180*in the receiver to access the bench.

Other benefit is they can work in the hitch of your truck/suv.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vk91T1ju5u9WjFkxDhrmoH0DEuElBUXOru4gciApUeQcllqDhSchB5QtAKiXxGvW