Yummm do you deliver ?

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/2/20 7:56 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Yummm do you deliver ?

Yup, to the table! 

Seriously, I love cooking for guests, but there's not going to be much of that for a while.

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/20 8:18 p.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to (Jesse) Ransom :

From Oakland to Eureka the best pizza I found in California was Papa Murphy's take n bake. 

My apologies for your lack of a tour guide, or at least one with taste buds (apologies in advance if I've just been rude about a dear friend or relative). Papa Murphy's was not a standard bearer.

S.F. has been a port city/crossroads for a long time; I won't suggest that it can out-pizza the pizza capitals of the world, but there's a fantastic variety of really good food there. We moved away when I was 13, and the food was what I really missed.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/2/20 8:28 p.m.

In reply to (Jesse) Ransom :

Everything else in SF and the surrounding area was amazing. We lived in Antioch, ate at Antonio's 4 nights a week, and traveled to the city probably every other week. 

Getting lost in Chinatown and being the only white people was fun, where we had to point and pray with menus, seafood and sushi galore, amazing Mexican and Indian food, just never found good pizza. I *really* miss the Indian food.

I was actually planning a food vacation back to SF and Sacramento before the virus, until I realized Vegas was cheaper and would require far less driving around. 

barefootskater
barefootskater SuperDork
6/2/20 9:42 p.m.

I think after reading through this I can classify myself as a pizza slut. Anything and everything and for nobody's benefit but mine. Reminds me oddly of something my HS welding teacher said to me:

Riding a scooter is like banging a fat chick, it's fun until your friends catch you doing it. 

But here's the thing. All my friends ride motorcycles. I had a scooter as my only transportation for almost two years while rooming with some of these friends. They'd harass me no end about it. I DONT GIVE A FLYING BERKELEY! It's fun for me. And also cheap

In conclusion, I'll gladly eat fancy pizza. But I'll just as gladly eat the garbage, gut bombing, frozen isle, school cafeteria, week old pizza. And chances are I'll let you watch, and I'll even make eye contact. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:13 p.m.
bobzilla said: The acidity that most sauces is what tears me apart. It makes pizza a love/hate thing. I am down to frozen Jacks pizzas as being the only sauce that I don't hate myself the following day.

People in this house have similar issues with acidity. I put in maybe a tablespoon or so of plain sugar in any tomato based sauce I'm making to counteract the acid. This of course sized to a pot of spaghetti sauce that feeds 6 people at least twice.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
6/2/20 10:27 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

You don't have to have bad sex on purpose though. Or maybe you do. I don't know what you like. And if you do like bad sex more than good sex, then is the bad sex really the good sex? 

Well sometimes you just need food and there is a Little Cesars there. So you ride that moped over and get some. 

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:28 p.m.

Sugar doesn't belong in spaghetti sauce.

(And now that I've floundered this thread more than any of y'all imagined possible, I'll have a seat under the patio) 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:32 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

You're not looking to make it sweet, just kill the acidity. There is a difference. 1 tbsp of sugar in 64oz of sauce ain't sweetening E36 M3.

6/2/20 10:42 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50 :

Yet in coffee a twist or 2 from the salt grinder when brewing is what kills the acidity. 

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/2/20 10:49 p.m.
ShawnG said:

My neighbour is Sicilian. 

I have no clue what is going on here...but if I know anything it's:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/2/20 11:03 p.m.
RevRico said:
Appleseed said:

You pizza snobs need to remind yourselves of one thing: Pizza is like sex. Even if its bad, its still pizza.

Sounds like you need more of both. I've had bad sex and bad pizza, I'll happily go without than have either on a regular basis

Lower your standards.  There's happiness down here. laugh

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/2/20 11:22 p.m.
barefootskater said:

I'll gladly eat fancy pizza. But I'll just as gladly eat the garbage, gut bombing, frozen isle, school cafeteria, week old pizza. And chances are I'll let you watch, and I'll even make eye contact. 

This.  Do I prefer good pizza?  Yes.  That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a trip to Cici's where I can binge on garbage pizza until I can no longer walk.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/2/20 11:41 p.m.

I am laughing at the OP

Marry a Philippine Girl. The amount of weird stuff that they call food.  

Always check your eggs carefully or you could accidentally have balut in the pan. 

Durian.  Just no. Hell no. 

Dried tiney fish that can stink up a 3000 sf house in seconds with the smell of three week old dead body's that have set in the sun in 100 percent humidity. And she and her friends eat them like candy. Hell no X a billion. 

And you all are getting worked up about peppers and onions. 

You are funny. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/20 11:43 p.m.
Toyman01 (Generally Supportive Dude) said:
Tom Suddard said:

Who puts peppers in spaghetti sauce? Are you insane!?

Mr Asa said:

Green peppers and onion don't belong in spaghetti sauce... what the hell.

Well, there are at least two people in here who are wrong. Do you guys just dump some tomato paste over pasta? 

wink

When Dad was a young'un, Grandpop was stationed at Aviano AB, Grandma got many recipes that she passed down.  Later as a young man Dad returned to Italy and learned their ways, ways that were passed on to me.

Sirrah, my spaghetti sauce is no mere tomato paste.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/20 11:47 p.m.
Grizz said:

Green peppers are an optional thing depending on taste but I have literally never seen a spaghetti sauce that didn't have onion. That's like not having garlic in it.

In reply to bobzilla :

What about white sauce?

All BS aside, there are a wide variety of regional differences in Italian sauces.  My family's traditional recipe is northern Italian, but Dad also has some recipes that are from further down south near the coast.  There is a marked difference in ingredients within them.

6/2/20 11:48 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

That's a spot near me that sells durian ice cream. 

It's... different

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/2/20 11:49 p.m.

On pizza: The best (for me, the rest of you are Neanderthals) is going to be Chicago deep Dish. If the bottom is burnt, you need to find a new place. Never experienced that, with the exception of pequods... but their burnt bottom is actually carmelized (not sure if that’s the right word for it... but you know when cheese gets burnt, and it is delicious? It’s that) cheese. 

But that isn’t what you eat when you order pizza on a normal occasion. You get that once or twice a year. It’s my favorite, but if you eat too much of it it loses its appeal somewhat. 

No, my “normal” favorite is Chicago style thin crust. It looks similar to St Louis Style, but it hasn’t ever heard of provel cheese. About 1,090 different varieties on how thin and crunchy the crust is, about 1,000 diffeeent takes on the sauce, but it’s all delicious. 

But I am no snob. I even get Little Caesars on occasion - or at least their deep dish or their cheese bread, the normal pizza sucks (good drunk food rhough). Dominos has very tasty, if not good pizza, especially for the price  - we like their pan pizza and their Parmesan bites.  We also have frozen pizza in the freezer all the time.

Papa Johns is bad, but edible. Since it is more expensive than a frozen pizza and not nearly as good, I don’t get the point of it - although I do like that pepper they put in the box.

But Imos is just nasty. I really can’t imagine a situation where I’d be hungry enough to eat it.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/3/20 6:30 a.m.

Confession:  My spaghetti sauce involves Rotel, usually pureed.  Chipotle Rotel, if I could still find it, is the best.  Onions get diced fine and sauteed so they disappear into the sauce.  So I'm both a heathen and a cultural appropriator.  Sue me.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/20 6:59 a.m.

dude, as long as it's not the gov't cheese from the 80's I'll try anything. The gov't stuff from the 80's can go right to hell. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/3/20 7:00 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

Hmm. That actually sounds pretty good

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/3/20 8:33 a.m.
bobzilla said:

dude, as long as it's not the gov't cheese from the 80's I'll try anything. The gov't stuff from the 80's can go right to hell. 

You are wrong.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/3/20 9:29 a.m.

Have any of you dudes used Naan breads as your crusts? I did one night as an experiment after finding pepperoni's on sale and honestly, it's fantastic. A little sweet and fluffy, but still pretty thin.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

It's good to know other people on this forum scream "NO GODS, NO MASTERS!" when cooking too.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 9:41 a.m.

Who thought we'd start losing respect for each other over pizza views and not political views? cheeky

Of course I'm just messing around. There is a place here in OKC that makes better NY-style pizza, then any place I had in my visits to the big apple.

But Chicago-style? Come on, it's just pizza casserole. devil

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
6/3/20 9:49 a.m.
z31maniac said:

But Chicago-style? Come on, it's just pizza casserole. devil

You know all our comparisons to pizza and sex

Well sometimes I want mine sloppy

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
w5viyH6q9Uwpcl7AyjV2bKAw2BZigeFLNFrhqHmVhJsGBhWcurFS19ZrkuyMZUu7