1 2 3 4 5 6 7
ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
6/3/20 9:52 a.m.

Sadly I have only had 1 slice of pizza (costco, moment of (delicious) weakness) in the last month or so, because the store is out of yeast.

As I mentioned above, I pretty much love all pizza (but not all toppings), however store bought pizza and restaraunt pizza tend to have insane amounts of sodium in them, which I am trying to keep in check due to borderline high blood pressure.  I can make my own with no sodium in the crust or sauce, and just whatever is in the cheese.

I do not have the skill or patience to do sourdough crust :(

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 11:17 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Sadly I have only had 1 slice of pizza (costco, moment of (delicious) weakness) in the last month or so, because the store is out of yeast.

As I mentioned above, I pretty much love all pizza (but not all toppings), however store bought pizza and restaraunt pizza tend to have insane amounts of sodium in them, which I am trying to keep in check due to borderline high blood pressure.  I can make my own with no sodium in the crust or sauce, and just whatever is in the cheese.

Whoa! I've never had a sourdough crust pizza, but that sounds berkeleying amazing!

Is that a thing? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 11:17 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:
z31maniac said:

But Chicago-style? Come on, it's just pizza casserole. devil

You know all our comparisons to pizza and sex

Well sometimes I want mine sloppy

I have lots of jokes, but none that are PG-13. But I'm completely with you.

Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón)
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 11:24 a.m.

Look, we've covered pizza ad nauseum before. Nobody is going to be convinced to dislike what they like. The best we can hope for is to open new horizons. Pasta sauce is just a riff on the same thing: you're taking (things) and putting them on a wheat flour based delivery system. You're going to like what you like, based on where you grew up and your personal tastes in ingredients. There are no wrong answers.

We need to bring this back to what the board is all about, the real Answer when it comes to food: Cheese.

If you've not tried grilled halloumi cheese before, try it. It's versatile: you can marinade it in things, rub it with herbs and spices. Think of it as a chicken breast and go to town.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 12:32 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

If I added onions and peppers to my spaghetti sauce, she wouldn't eat it.

I am too busy trying to wrap my head around the idea of not liking onions or peppers to get any further in thr post

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
6/3/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

My sister owns a restaurant in Belgium that does only natural ferments (sour doughs) for their breads and pizzas. There are a few places is the US that do them, but the easiest is to do them at home. I had a starter for about three years that made good pizza dough but it died. I just do yeasted crust now. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/20 12:46 p.m.

I feel anyone calling Chicago style pizza a casserole is simply a thinly veiled fear of its superiority.  We fear what we don't understand.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/3/20 12:53 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I feel anyone calling Chicago style pizza a casserole is simply a thinly veiled fear of its superiority.  We fear what we don't understand.

Speaking as one of those, I disagree completely.

There's nothing wrong with Chicago deep dish; it's a tasty and satisfying meal.  But if there is a knife and fork involved, it's a casserole, not a pizza.

I'm tempted to go so far as to say if you can't fold it, it's not a pizza.  That puts Sicilian in a philosophical grey area.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/3/20 12:56 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
Streetwiseguy said:

If I added onions and peppers to my spaghetti sauce, she wouldn't eat it.

I am too busy trying to wrap my head around the idea of not liking onions or peppers to get any further in thr post

I have no problem with onions, its onions that have a problem with me.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/3/20 1:00 p.m.

So, all you have noticed by now how many people have changed their minds about peppers, onions, cheese and pizza in this thread?

That's exactly the same number of people whose minds have been changed in the Covid and racism threads.

//Debbie Downer//

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/3/20 1:00 p.m.
z31maniac said:
ProDarwin said:

Whoa! I've never had a sourdough crust pizza, but that sounds berkeleying amazing!

Is that a thing? 

Absolutely. See my post and pictures at the bottom of page two of this thread.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
6/3/20 1:06 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Damn Canuks. cheeky

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 1:07 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Oddly, I've spent about three hours in Belgium and the only thing I did was get dinner at an Italian restaurant. Probably not your sister's, but still funny.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/3/20 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Well...I didn't know sourdough crust was a thing, or that that provo-swiss cheese thing was a thing, so, yes,  this thread's dialog has become benefical to me. 

I hoped my pizza = sex was this thread's magnum opus.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
6/3/20 1:18 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

If you've not tried grilled halloumi cheese before, try it. It's versatile: you can marinade it in things, rub it with herbs and spices. Think of it as a chicken breast and go to town.

Where do you get that stuff? I first found out about it on a cooking show where the chef was talking about how he was going to make a grilled cheese - and it turned out he meant exactly that. But I haven't figured out where to buy it.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
6/3/20 2:49 p.m.

That waxy, orange, bland stuff you Americans call cheese is a crime against humanity.

Try this:

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/3/20 3:03 p.m.

I like my cheddar sharp enough to cut you when you eat it

tomtomgt356 (FS)
tomtomgt356 (FS) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/3/20 3:07 p.m.
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) said:

Confession:  My spaghetti sauce involves Rotel, usually pureed.  Chipotle Rotel, if I could still find it, is the best.  Onions get diced fine and sauteed so they disappear into the sauce.  So I'm both a heathen and a cultural appropriator.  Sue me.

Growing up I remember my mom putting rotel in spaghetti sauce. When I got to college I was cooking spaghetti for some friends but I didn't realize their are different types. She used a can of mild to make ~20 servings. I put a can of hot in ~4 servings. I ended up taking them to Wendy's.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/20 3:14 p.m.
ShawnG said:

That waxy, orange, bland stuff you Americans call cheese is a crime against humanity.

Try this:

Wisconsin knows whats up. 

I get my cheese from this place: 

I couldn't find a picture of her 8 year cheddar (I think), which is just delightful with the crunchy bits that you only find in a really good cheese. Here is the 20 year cheddar:

John Brown (Forum Supporter)
John Brown (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Hold it. Cicis yes. You leave Michigan's cheapest Detroit style Pizza Pizza outta this. 

mtn (Forum Supporter) said:
ShawnG said:

Try this:

Wisconsin knows whats up. 

I get my cheese from this place: 

I couldn't find a picture of her 8 year cheddar (I think), which is just delightful with the crunchy bits that you only find in a really good cheese. Here is the 20 year cheddar:

How is it 20 years old when it was made last year? I ask for education. Ive never heard of aged cheese,  but my cheese comes in a brick at food lion. 

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/3/20 4:10 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) said:

How is it 20 years old when it was made last year? I ask for education. Ive never heard of aged cheese,  but my cheese comes in a brick at food lion. 

Think of it like aging bourbon. Basically all cheese is aged. There are exceptions, called Fresh Cheese (Ricotta, neufchatle... If it is white and generally spreadable, it is probably fresh), but most cheese is aged for at least a week, ranging to decades. Mozzarella, for example, is aged only for a few weeks. 

Cheddar is all basically the same, at least within a brand/manufacturer, the only difference being how long it has aged. A mild cheddar will have been aged for a month or three. What is sold as extra sharp in a grocery is probably about 1-2 years. The more it is aged, the sharper it gets, the less melty it is too. A really sharp cheddar, you'll want to eat it on its own or with a cracker. Mild cheddar, you'll put that on a sandwich and melt it on a burger. It is aged in huge discs or blocks, then chopped into the bricks that you're familiar with.

Here are some photos of cheese being aged. At this point, you're not paying for the ingredients or even the effort of making it. You're paying for the time and money they spent storing it for 3-40 years.

(Jesse) Ransom
(Jesse) Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/3/20 4:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) :

Packed (sliced out of the wheel and packaged) last year, not made last year.

Lots of cheeses change in interesting (and tasty) ways when aged. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheese_ripening

EDIT: mtn was quicker (and more thorough)

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/20 5:09 p.m.

I have purchased some really fancy cheeses over the years for charcuterie and cheese platters and such like that. 

$100/lb for cheese? That's more expensive than dry-aged steak in a big city at well known steakhouse. Well, probably not actual Kobe beef in Japan, but you get what I'm saying.

I thought $25/lb or so was getting pretty expensive for cheese. 

daeman
daeman Dork
6/3/20 5:18 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

I usually get it from middle eastern grocers in big jars (it comes in brine). It's kinda chewy/rubbery and fairly salty, but pretty damn delicious.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JlOWsvLDoWWldqtwyF8oh0YFHVMqm7FmESZQEq4jKmuxbgmqhfKc8ePBbaVBv4iy