1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/30/19 7:30 p.m.

First, no, we're not going to shoot/hunt/kill them.

Originally we had one rabbit. So cute. Then it was two. Uh oh. Now it's three. Our dogs are not amused since they now have to go out on leashes. 

I just pinged the local humane society and rabbit rescue. We put down some Liquid Fence anti-rabbit. The rabbits were out later that day. 

Other than catching and releasing, any other ideas on how to get them out of our yard? Not sure if they're living here. We have a lot of ground cover, but we have also seen them on the pathway behind our house. Maybe they're just visiting. Oh, and they like to poop. A lot. 

Thanks. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/30/19 7:37 p.m.

I know you dont want to hear it, but you cant beat nature. Let your predators off their leashes and the prey should stay away. If the dogs get lucky and get one, you're actually helping strengthen the bunny herd. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
4/30/19 7:38 p.m.

Am I missing something?  We have rabbits.  And squirrels too.  In an area without predators, they are ubiquitous.  If you walk toward them, they hop away.  Biggest problem is that they will eat your garden before you get any produce unless you put up a fence.  I honestly didn't know rabbit rescue was a thing?

Our dog likes to chase them, but we won't let her eat one if she were ever to catch one.

Cats, I hear, are hell on rabbits.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/19 7:39 p.m.

I came here expecting early-80s VWs.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/19 7:41 p.m.

Umm, let the dogs out without the leashes. The odds are they can't catch them, but they can sure run them off. 

Unless you think they will run off. Mine would chase them into the next county and never make it back home. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/30/19 7:56 p.m.
codrus said:

I came here expecting early-80s VWs.

And, leaving disappointed.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/30/19 8:01 p.m.

You could get some predator pee from your local hunting store. 

Are we talking big sloppy Labrador dogs or furry football dogs? 

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 8:44 p.m.
RevRico said:

You could get some predator pee from your local hunting store. 

Are we talking big sloppy Labrador dogs or furry football dogs? 

Corgi-MinPins. So they're small and fast. They not young, too, so the fear is that a chase will be bad for all involved. 

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 8:45 p.m.

And one dog already got a baby rabbit. That was rather unpleasant. 

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/19 8:53 p.m.

Get a duck?

They're natural enemies.

David S. Wallens
4/30/19 9:30 p.m.
WonkoTheSane said:

Get a duck?

They're natural enemies.

Crap, you're right. JG, can I borrow your ducks?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/30/19 9:51 p.m.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/30/19 10:10 p.m.

You've opted out of the easy options. I respect that, but they *are* the easy options.

Could you fence in a bit of your property for the dogs to take care of their business in? If the dog pee on the fence doesn't do it, predator pee (available in your hunting section or possibly your Agri-supply store) will help, too.

Import some owls?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/1/19 8:56 a.m.

If any of these rabbits turn out to be overly aggressive, I suggest that the Holy Hand Grenade is your best answer.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/1/19 11:30 a.m.

The happiest you will ever see your dog is with a rabbit hanging from its mouth.  Wide eyed, proud and smiling. 

Any breed or half breed of terrier has deep instincts to kill rodents.  Well except for my Yorky spike, I think he would try to play with a rabbit if it would sit still.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/1/19 12:04 p.m.

Some version of this. Baited with lettuce? Make them your next-block neighbors problem.

But seriously, the dogs sounds like mother natures way of balancing the scales. Lack of predators encourages more rabbits, so add predator and balance is restored. For that matter, why should the dogs get all the benefit of this ambulant fauna?

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/1/19 12:35 p.m.

Yeah, I was gonna say, if things ever get lean over that way, you can put a rabbit on the dinner table.  I tasted some a long, long, time ago that my college roommate had shot, skinned, and cooked.  I'd say it tastes like chicken, but it doesn't.  Not really.  I hear they're a lot easier to skin than a squirrel....

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/1/19 12:55 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

Yeah, I was gonna say, if things ever get lean over that way, you can put a rabbit on the dinner table.  I tasted some a long, long, time ago that my college roommate had shot, skinned, and cooked.  I'd say it tastes like chicken, but it doesn't.  Not really.  I hear they're a lot easier to skin than a squirrel....

I would disagree- very sweet tasting. Nothing that says chicken to me.  Great to eat.

I put on in a Paella I made over a fire pit.  Holy cow was that good. 

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/1/19 1:11 p.m.
alfadriver said:
1988RedT2 said:

I would disagree- very sweet tasting. Nothing that says chicken to me.  Great to eat.

All true, very good meat just not enough of it lol.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/1/19 1:21 p.m.

The best fried chicken my wife ever had was rabbit, she didn't believe it until her friends dad showed her the package.  They used to sell it right at the grocery store in the eightys apparently.

akylekoz
akylekoz Dork
5/1/19 1:21 p.m.

My dogs love rabbit pellets.  Ewww gross but true.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/1/19 2:02 p.m.
alfadriver said:

Too sweet for me, I was not a fan.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
5/1/19 2:08 p.m.

I had a problem with rabbits and the neighborhood cats until I got two dogs, now I don't see either.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
5/1/19 2:12 p.m.

Wait a second Mr Wallens....are you not a close "Associate" of  certain woman who is willing to build a patio over anything that messes with her "Crew".

I'd be making the call.

Rabbit version

David S. Wallens
5/1/19 2:40 p.m.
akylekoz said:

My dogs love rabbit pellets.  Ewww gross but true.

Same. Another reason why they're now going out on leashes. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CgCUMijqf1kzK5bRgfZaFudjopgUlr8mrwMMv5vL7iM247jQ6CjhwlhMN5kgeDIe