MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/27/20 4:08 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

2 cars in a row just destoryed wheels

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/27/20 6:03 p.m.

That Fiesta spinning around into the ditch in slow motion was the saddest crash I've ever seen. He entered the corner so carefully and still spun out, and then he tried to get going without reversing and just made it so much worse.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/27/20 6:07 p.m.

Also in the first video, is it just me or does it seem like most of the BMWs are being driven way too sideways on dry tarmac?

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/27/20 6:17 p.m.
Knurled. said:

Yes, the Talbot Horizon was used as the basis for the Dodge/Plymouth Horizon.  Talbot was Chrysler of Europe.

Jimmy McRae is driving a Vauxhall Chevette.  It had, IIRC, a 2.4l Lotus-designed engine. 

Although it looks very similar to the Horizon, that was actually the Sunbeam...a RWD car unlike the Horizon. I was baffled when I learned this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simca-Talbot_Horizon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sunbeam

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/27/20 7:01 p.m.

Monte Carlo just plain sucks from a tire perspective... some stages are tarmac, AND snow, AND ice, as you go up a mountain and back down, and you have to choose what tires you are running long before you get there and know what the conditions are.  USUALLY the best bet is for tarmac tires because tarmac tires lose less on snow and ice than snow/ice tires lose on tarmac.  As long as you keep from bashing into things.

Meanwhile, in the Group B era when servicing was unlimited, the Lancia works team figured that on stages like that, where there was going to be a definite point where you knew you'd want different tires, they scheduled a tire change during a timed stage.  In the Delta S4, Toivonen won this particular stage by 30 seconds despite the downtime to change tires.

Knurled.
1/27/20 7:13 p.m.
Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
1/27/20 8:18 p.m.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8wpYUSXTn-k

If it's a repost who cares cuz ye gods what a noise. It must be nice to rally something this expensive!

Knurled.
1/27/20 8:30 p.m.

"What a noise"...

When I look up the mental file for "motivation and vision for the VW Quantum", this is all I get.

5 cylinder howl, and pops and bangs that announce your presence long before you're visible.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/27/20 8:32 p.m.

This thread got me to play Richard Burns Rally again. I had an almost flawless Arctic Rally, and then crashed out of the next one and quit the game.

Which reminded me of the greatest single rally stage ever to exist, whether in real life or virtual reality: Mineshaft.

I happen to have a video of one of my previous trips to the Mineshaft stage, which I present to you now.

Skip to about 4:15 if you want to see why it's called Mineshaft. Skip to about 10:00 if you want to see it again from another angle.

NOTE: Do not try this at home.

Knurled.
1/27/20 8:46 p.m.

Mineshaft videos are berkin' brutal to watch.  Sane people brake before the crest and drive down the hill.  Other people who apparently enjoy spinal compression as a hobby go all-in, and then collapse their front suspension when they land at the bottom.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
1/27/20 8:59 p.m.
slowbird
slowbird Dork
1/27/20 9:16 p.m.

Holy berk, I never thought to look it up and find out it's a real stage. I mean, it makes sense, in a way. If it was made up just for the game then everyone would ridicule it as being unrealistic. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Even when you think you're going slow enough...you aren't.

Jay_W
Jay_W SuperDork
1/28/20 12:48 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Yup, that is madcap insane. They knew what was comin, slowed way down, and shot the moon anyway... 

Knurled.
2/6/20 8:38 p.m.
MrChaos
2/15/20 6:00 p.m.
Knurled.
2/15/20 10:34 p.m.
Knurled.
2/16/20 8:58 a.m.

I'm used to hearing co drivers speaking in whatever language the crew are comfortable with.  Finnish, German, French, whatever.

2018 Japanese Rally Competition Association compilation video.  It's weird enough that the series is named in English, but it seems like 90% of more of the codrivers are calling in English!

I have heard that cars in Japan are given names and lettering in romaji because cars are from the West so it is appropriate to write important car things out in that alphabet.  Makes me wonder why they aren't reading notes in Finnish smiley

MrChaos
2/16/20 10:25 a.m.

iirc a lot of japanese people prefer to learn english as a second language

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/23/20 7:51 p.m.
MrChaos
2/23/20 8:11 p.m.

Samir....You're breaking the car!!!

Knurled.
2/23/20 8:28 p.m.

Just some guy berking around with a modern rendition of a Group B RX-7.  (The real MRTE cars had four lug wheels, amongst other glaring differences)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/23/20 9:11 p.m.

Jesus rally spectators scare me.  Does that yellow vest protect you when catch an RX7 to the face at 80mph?

Knurled.
2/23/20 9:17 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

If they have a vest, they are a worker not a spectator.  (Rally workers are basically spectators with responsibilities, they are generally always volunteers)

Although the bits after 2:10 or so are not at a stage rally, they appear to be at a private test session where they close off a section of road and go back and forth a few times.  Plus, notice the incar, they are wearing no safety gear to speak of.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
obwBuwfArBGGfPeOUq7MxCquGa6KPej61ltHPNdCQz0VHoIOAxIgattz51mkYBbs