1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29
Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/21 8:52 p.m.
stanger_mussle (Forum Supporter) said:

At what price point does the risk of owning a MINI diminish? There have been a few sub-$3k MINIs on my local CL including a 2006 Just-a-Cooper manual for $2400.

IMO they get more expensive the cheaper they get.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/25/21 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

There is nothing more expensive than a cheap German car.

Pete. (l33t FS)
3/25/21 10:00 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I'd buy a cheap E30, or a cheap A2.  But Minis are in that point where soooo many things are shockingly expensive, even in the aftermarket.  And the aftermarket has not picked up very well on some things, like window regulators (they don't fit unless you like the window not sealing to the door frame) or power steering pumps.  And apparently the clutch fork is a common enough failure that Mini still stocks the part number.

slantvaliant (Forum Supporter)
slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/26/21 9:19 a.m.

Do the Germans make boats?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/26/21 10:29 a.m.

In reply to slantvaliant (Forum Supporter) :

U-boat | German submarine | Britannica

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
3/26/21 10:31 a.m.

Most people are completely unable or unwilling to do basic repairs themselves. How do they get through life? How do they not realize that you can just... Google it?

I'm not saying you can or should try to fix everything around the house yourself. But Google is a thing, and most jobs are simple and can be completed with basic hand tools.

mtn (Forum Supporter)
mtn (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/1/21 11:50 a.m.
Beer Baron said:

Most people are completely unable or unwilling to do basic repairs themselves. How do they get through life? How do they not realize that you can just... Google it?

I'm not saying you can or should try to fix everything around the house yourself. But Google is a thing, and most jobs are simple and can be completed with basic hand tools.

Not quite the same thing, but I was asked in an interview once how I would come up with the answer to a question - I don't remember what it was, but it was something that they wanted me to map out my "algorithm" that I would take to get to the answer, on the spot, to a question I'd never seen. 

I answered with "assuming I'm not allowed to google it for this hypothetical, I would... "

One interviewer loved that answer. Another did not. The interviewer that loved it was one of the best bosses I ever had, probably the best boss.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/2/21 1:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

You leave a dump. If you actually took a dump somewhere,  you'd be labeled a sicko.

Except picking up after your dog (maybe our dogs think we're messed up and just love us anyway because we're 'special'?) or getting cow poo by the bag or truckload for our plants. 

Maybe the weird thing would be taking your *own* dump somewhere? It's late and my brain is going into weird thought mode. Time for bed. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/2/21 2:47 p.m.

We have way too much fun naming cocktails when we do our seasonal menus.

I came up with the best name for a mojito: Mint Rumney.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/2/21 3:54 p.m.

I realized last night that the best job I ever had was not the best job I ever had.

I worked, for 15 years, in an R&D facility as the guy who turned crazy ideas into reality, by designing equipment and building it. It was a dream job. The money was not great and the people who worked there were all the same and I eventually hated every one of them.

I left it for a job in a large factory making big money. It was dirty, filthy, hard and not particularly rewarding. The people I worked with were from every corner of the world.  We worked hard, ate like kings and got along great. I've never laughed so much in my life.

I now know that there's nothing wrong with my current job. It's the people that aren't cutting it.

KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
4/2/21 6:19 p.m.

One would think that when a box of this stature arrives that one would be excited....or at least remember what had been ordered.  But no, my Friday afternoon fogged brain has no idea what was bought.

Oh yeah.  Race ramps.   Seriously, I'll be hiding my own Easter eggs soon and be surprised when I find them.

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/2/21 9:43 p.m.

Today, in "stuff you can no longer unhear, THANKS PETE"

I have a mansion

I forget the price

I never been there

They tell me it's nice

Live in hotels

And I tear out the walls

I have accountants

To pay for it all...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/21 11:04 p.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:
Appleseed said:

You leave a dump. If you actually took a dump somewhere,  you'd be labeled a sicko.

Except picking up after your dog (maybe our dogs think we're messed up and just love us anyway because we're 'special'?) or getting cow poo by the bag or truckload for our plants. 

Maybe the weird thing would be taking your *own* dump somewhere? It's late and my brain is going into weird thought mode. Time for bed. 

You are taking your dog's dump after he leaves his dump. Which should be more socially weird than it is.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/3/21 7:06 a.m.

I was listening to a particular style of young person on the radio yesterday, who was telling us all about how YouTube really has to control what can be shown, and who shows it, and how awful it is that people (young men) make a bunch of money doing and filming hurtful or dangerous or extreme things, and so on.  One of those YouTube stars even has a friend who has been accused of a rape several years ago! And he still posts videos!  

In trying to describe it to a friend later, I said, "Remember Tipper Gore?  She is weak sauce compared to moderns."

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/3/21 7:35 a.m.

Who would be YouTube's Dee Snyder?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/3/21 7:44 a.m.

For being so highly regarded in educational circles, my mother in law is a massive berkeleying idiot.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/3/21 10:06 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Jordan Peterson. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/3/21 12:57 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

I'm far more interested in who would be YouTube's Frank Zappa.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/3/21 12:58 p.m.
RevRico said:

For being so highly regarded in educational circles, my mother in law is a massive berkeleying idiot.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive in any way.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
4/3/21 4:46 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

They may even be more common than not

Pete. (l33t FS)
4/17/21 9:17 a.m.

A while back, YouTube started throwing a  bunch of Down Periscope! clips at me, at random, from like nine years ago.

On April 1st, it was released for free on YouTube Movies.

That is the backstory.   Now the prediction,.

I have been getting a lot of random Dogma clips recommended at me.  It's going to be released for free soon, if not already and I just haven't noticed it yet.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/17/21 3:59 p.m.

In reply to jimmy654 :

I love watching people drive in hoodies, especially with them up. You don't need peripheral vision when paddling a canoe.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/17/21 4:11 p.m.
RevRico said:

There are highly intelligent idiots out there

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/21/21 10:03 p.m.

Random thought of the day:

Why arent 5 gallon buckets shorter and wider? Took a sharper turn than I wanted with 5 gallons of paint in the car and it could have been a disaster. Seems stupid to have something that's designed to hold stuff be so easy to tip over......

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/21/21 11:24 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Random thought of the day:

Why arent 5 gallon buckets shorter and wider? Took a sharper turn than I wanted with 5 gallons of paint in the car and it could have been a disaster. Seems stupid to have something that's designed to hold stuff be so easy to tip over......

Harder to carry when full, because you have to hold it further from your body to avoid hitting your leg, and there is a larger surface area to build up a wave that slops stuff over the side.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LcuUblMa21CkJJMgCkgP6B6OZjNLR6fHXJ7s7AA4c1DMo3Eiq4sMcUiI6FEjgfb4