1 2 3 4
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
4/26/21 7:13 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

I have been into RC sailing for years and years. I do not compete even tough I could wipe the floor with the locals because they get very rule interpretation happy anytime someone new and under the age of 70 comes along and takes the win. So I just go off and do it on my own. I am happy and they can share the lake. 

Here in Lake Erie, our sailing club used to have a pretty active Soling 1 Meter Class.  I once considered getting involved.  Instead, I stayed with the big boats.  

From 2005-2010 I did a lot of racing in S Cal including San Diego.  I miss it out there.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/26/21 7:17 p.m.

Stay far far away from gun forums, they are absolutely terrible.

Musicians can be annoying, there's a lot of corksnifferey with music gear. I used to get a lot of people asking me why I didn't play Marshalls and Gibson's when we played out, right after telling me that they loved my tone. So......why would I change it then?

I wanna get into homebrewing but man.....there is some shiny happy people there. Very elitist. I basically just don't like hops and wanna make beer I like without much hops,( or any if I can get away with it, ) for fun. Apparently this isn't the "right" way.

Geocaching is a huge amount of fun, requires almost no money, there's very little elitism and everyone should try it at least once.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
4/26/21 7:20 p.m.

It would be interesting to know if participants in the butt sucking hobby sucked butts.  I'm betting they do.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/21 7:33 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

What to know if a butt sucker is sucking butt in his respective hobby? Oh, don't worry,  they'll tell you. Almost immediately.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/26/21 7:34 p.m.

I like camping and motorcycles, sometimes both together.

My hobby is done by myself, away from others.

There's nobody around to tell me how wrong I'm doing it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/26/21 7:38 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

When I'm messing around with trains, the only person I have to answer to is me. Maybe that's why I love motorcycles? 

dropstep
dropstep UberDork
4/26/21 7:53 p.m.

RC rock crawlers are the same way. I wasn't looking to comp crawl this time but man the elitists hate redcat. I bought into the hype and went axial and was disappointed . They suck out of the box but axial fanboys will spend another 3-400 on upgrades and still claim it's the best! 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/21 8:08 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

Musicians can be annoying, there's a lot of corksnifferey with music gear. I used to get a lot of people asking me why I didn't play Marshalls and Gibson's when we played out, right after telling me that they loved my tone. So......why would I change it then?

Rob Scallon has a single string electric guitar made with a shovel, a pickup, and duct tape.

One of the comments on one of his videos basically was to the effect of "Rob has better tone with a shovel than I could ever get"

Example

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/26/21 8:21 p.m.
dropstep said:

RC rock crawlers are the same way. I wasn't looking to comp crawl this time but man the elitists hate redcat. I bought into the hype and went axial and was disappointed . They suck out of the box but axial fanboys will spend another 3-400 on upgrades and still claim it's the best! 

I've got a pretty serious drift rig I built a few years ago, and man the butt suckers out there are insane. 

4/26/21 8:22 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

That doesn't sound bad at all, and I hadn't seen it before, thanks!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
4/26/21 8:25 p.m.
John Welsh said:
wearymicrobe said:

I have been into RC sailing for years and years. I do not compete even tough I could wipe the floor with the locals because they get very rule interpretation happy anytime someone new and under the age of 70 comes along and takes the win. So I just go off and do it on my own. I am happy and they can share the lake. 

Here in Lake Erie, our sailing club used to have a pretty active Soling 1 Meter Class.  I once considered getting involved.  Instead, I stayed with the big boats.  

From 2005-2010 I did a lot of racing in S Cal including San Diego.  I miss it out there.  

Close to what I have. I have a marblehead with oversized sails and a Santa Barbara that is fully built to spec. I love it just hard with my work schedule to get out. Long term I would love to make a IOM mold on the 3D printer and cast a few hulls. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/26/21 8:37 p.m.

I used to go to a Datsun meet at Road America during the vintage races and some of the guys talked "Datsun" all day long.

Hey man, those are the wrong hubcaps on your 1600, those are truck caps. 

Is that a screw holding the dash trim on?  Whoa!   

Those might be the wrong carbs dude.  

Hey guys, I might go watch the races.   

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/26/21 8:48 p.m.

I wanna get into homebrewing but man.....there is some shiny happy people there. Very elitist. I basically just don't like hops and wanna make beer I like without much hops,( or any if I can get away with it, ) for fun. Apparently this isn't the "right" way.

Heh. Most homebrewers don't know much and overcomplicate the things that are simple and ignore the things that matter.

Almost none understand hop utilization.

Hops are overrated. You can't make beer without water, malt, or yeast. You can make beer without hops, and it had been for most of human history. One of our most popular beers has almost no hops, and what it does have is primarily for preservation and stability.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/26/21 9:30 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

"What are those things floating in the beer?"

"Those are hops."

" *sigh* What are those things hopping in the beer?"

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
4/26/21 9:39 p.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

Reminds me of George Thorogood.  

Yeah, you know when I drink alone
I prefer to be by myself

4/26/21 10:31 p.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

I agree on the overrated hops bit, at least from a beer drinkers perspective.

Basically I thought it would be fun to get one of those little 1 gallon kits and make a stout with as little hops as possible and maybe try to capture the smokiness of a good Islay Scotch somehow, mixes 2 things I love.

But reading up you have people saying stuff like " ....you gotta add a bunch of hops to stouts so you can get a decent flavor, gotta mask the stoutness somehow"

That seems like someone just wants to make everything an IPA.  I hate IPAs. 

Also as a side note, I one day would love to try your Icelandic style beer.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/26/21 10:58 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

Eight Ball Deluxe was my jam in college. 

After I got out of college, the corner tavern down the street had an Eight Ball Deluxe.  My roommates and I spent hours and hours playing that thing.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
4/26/21 11:36 p.m.

They add too much hops to cover up the E36 M3ty beer taste. Alexander Keith, I'm looking in your direction.

Stout should taste like stout. If you wanted bitter, you should have made bitter.

1kris06
1kris06 HalfDork
4/27/21 12:01 a.m.

I've turned to pre-ordering premium hot wheels sets instead of trying to find in stores. Between the scalpers, hoarders and shiny happy people who damage the popular castings. It's easier and I don't waste time visiting multiple locations.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
4/27/21 5:31 a.m.
1988RedT2 said:

It would be interesting to know if participants in the butt sucking hobby sucked butts.  I'm betting they do.

That's an interesting sounding hobby. 

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/27/21 6:35 a.m.

Basically I thought it would be fun to get one of those little 1 gallon kits and make a stout with as little hops as possible and maybe try to capture the smokiness of a good Islay Scotch somehow, mixes 2 things I love.

But reading up you have people saying stuff like " ....you gotta add a bunch of hops to stouts so you can get a decent flavor, gotta mask the stoutness somehow"

In this situation, they're partially right, and partially wrong, but don't understand the what and why. You could make a beer that does what you want without much trouble (although it would probably require more than just modifying an off-the-shelf 1-gallon kit), but they don't know enough about brewing to tell you how. It's the homebrew equivalent of someone saying you need lowering springs to make a car handle well.

So... flavor science... for a beer to be balanced, you generally want to have a flavor irritant to balance out residual malt sweetness. Most often, this is bitterness from hops, but you could use sour or astringent. The problem with so many IPAs is that they go overboard on the bitterness and end up with an unbalanced beer.

It's like... salt or vinegar. Salt or vinegar are integral flavor components in a lot of food. But if you put too much in, it's going to be gross.

A stout will tend to have a lot more residual malt body and sweetness and does require more bitterness to balance that. At my brewery, our stout is handily our most bitter beer. When I worked at North Coast, Old Rasputin was far and away the most bitter beer. Guinness is more bitter than Sierra Nevada Pale.

However, that still means less hops than an IPA. Hops are much more efficient at bittering than they are at getting aroma (another reason why so many IPA's suck, because brewers end up *thinking* they're getting aroma, when they're really getting bitterness). So even though our stout is more bitter than our IPA, it still only uses about 1/3 the hops of the IPA (and about 1/2 the hops of our lager).

Now, if you really wanted to brew a dark, smokey beer with no or fewer hops, you could, but would need to make some changes. You could get away with less hops, but you'd want to use a yeast strain that leaves less fermentable sugars. Probably also adjust the malt bill a touch. You could easily make it unhopped by substituting spruce or cedar tips (which will provide astringency) and maybe heather (if you want nice aroma). Of course, now you're ending up with something more like a dark Scotch ale than an Irish or Burton-upon-Trent style Stout. Not that this would be bad. It would be quite good, but I wouldn't label it a "Stout".

This would actually work quite well if you want to lean in the "Islay Scotch" direction. That smoke will serve as a flavor irritant to balance things, but you will also want to control residual sweetness so the beer isn't cloying and doesn't stick the smoke to the inside of your mouth.

Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Beer Baron :

"What are those things floating in the beer?"

"Those are hops."

" *sigh* What are those things hopping in the beer?"

I hate this trend. It shows a complete misunderstanding of hop utilization. I understand wanting to maximize hop aroma. I have several beers where I do that. But by the time you get floaties, you're gone well past the point where you're able to extract any more aromatics from the hops and are literally just ending up with undissolved hop matter for the sake of throwing in more hops so that you can spend more money to have less beer.

Yet people want "hazy" IPA.

My answer to this was, "FINE! YOU WANT HAZY? YOU KNOW WHAT'S HAZY?!? berkeleyING HEFEWEIZEN! HAVE AN IPA WITH HEFEWEIZEN YEAST!"

Beer Baron
Beer Baron MegaDork
4/27/21 6:58 a.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

If you really do want to brew the beer you're describing, PM me. I've brewed a number of similar beers. I could easily write you a recipe and procedures. Would likely take a bit more effort and equipment than those 1-gallon kits though.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
4/27/21 7:03 a.m.

@Appleseed, you are my soul brother.

Back when I ran with a N-trak club we had a flatbed rail car with a giant metal rivet strapped to it. wink We also purposely ran a 'train of wrong-ness' that would be a steam loco pulling well cars with a Penn Central caboose, or any similar combination. Used to drive the know-it-alls absolutely insane.

Some of my model car build videos get the inevitable "You should wire up the engine compartment. It looks like a toy built out of the box" comments. Dear commenter:  IDGAF. I build these things to pass the time, not to win accuracy contests. I'm sure they'll just go in the trash after I die. Don't care that much. It's a $25 pile of plastic.

Equipment Snobs--I love that term. Welcome to the world of adventure motorcycling where you need Klim gear or you will be regarded as someone who wears cargo pants and flip-flops. My entire riding wardrobe is second-hand stuff purchased off the internet. You have a $1000 jacket? That's nice. I've got four motorcycles because I didn't spend that much on riding apparel.

Being mostly an introvert has it's advantages when it comes to hobbies. I can enjoy them my way and not be around the 'experts' frequently.

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
4/27/21 7:08 a.m.

Like I said in another thread, the price of used 2-stroke dirt bikes have gone through the roof. $3,000 buy in for clapped out examples.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
4/27/21 7:14 a.m.

In reply to Beer Baron :

What's really funny is, I remember from my brewing day, I loved my unfiltered stuff. Carries over into cask strength whiskeys with single barrel mash bills, bottled in bond and the like. I apparently like things more raw. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KwjpVHFnr0OLbDKCbdxwof3gzxXFl01671iJOGtdKY6PwFdpxBAvpe6UzotLZbeM