1 2 3
Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
6/29/08 12:59 a.m.
joey48442 wrote:
RealMiniDriver wrote:
16vCorey wrote: It also bothers me when obese people get handicap tags. I understand if there is a serious medical condition causing their obesity, but if they're just fat they should have special tags that make them park in the back of the lot.
Two years ago, my mom had double knee replacement. She got a temp HC mirror tag. I met Mom & Dad at the mall one night, and he parked in an HC spot. As Mom was getting out - slowly - a car pulled into the next spot and a slim woman in her 50s and a healthy looking guy in his 20s got out. They walked, briskly, past M&D as Mom was still extracting herself. Dad blurted outloud, as is his practice, "I wonder what her handicap is?" Young man spun on his heels a snorted, "My mom is anorexic! She has low stamina!" If she has low stamina, WTF is she doing going to a mall, where lots of walking is involved? So, not only do people who are fat get tags, people that THINK they're fat can get them.
Anorexia is something she is doing to herself, and she shouldnt have a tag for it. Joey

anorexia can be caused by psychological factors, other than not eating to lose weight, it can be other things, like fear of food or something. the same way that if you get food poisoning and can't keep your food down its considered bulimia.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
6/29/08 2:10 a.m.

A loading zone is for Commercial Vehicles only, it is for loading and unloading produce or goods only, not for a quick shopping trip.

Anorexia or any other non mobility affecting illness should be outside the criteria of a handicapped permit IMHO.

I transport medically disabled people for a living, if anybody ever uses my permitted and legal parking space illegally they will be blocked in for as long as I need to complete my duties.

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
6/29/08 4:23 p.m.

I was thinking this weekend and I realized that every parking spot in my shop's lot is handicapped. It isn't actually possible not to illegally park.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
6/29/08 8:41 p.m.

People that park in handicapped spots when they are not as the only thing worse than people that park across two parking spaces. Especially when they drive SUVs. I have urges to smash taillights in situations like those...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 7:13 a.m.

The things that you can get a HC placard for are amazing. But even more amazing is how long they are issued for. If I get bunion surgery, I can get a placard. Heal time is about 6-8 weeks before I can walk completely normally. (My father was jogging in 2 days) But the placard is good for years! WTF?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 7:13 a.m.

The things that you can get a HC placard for are amazing. But even more amazing is how long they are issued for. If I get bunion surgery, I can get a placard. Heal time is about 6-8 weeks before I can walk completely normally. (My father was jogging in 2 days) But the placard is good for years! WTF?

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/30/08 7:16 a.m.

Can you get one for double posting? I was offered one after my accident so I could park up front when I went to Physical therapy, which consisted of an hour of walking.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/30/08 7:46 a.m.

I work in a building with no handicapped spots that isn't handicapped accessible.

That being said, one of my good friends is paralyzed from the chest down and drives a ramp van. If he can't park in a HC spot he has to put a cone next to the van so no one will park next to him so he can lower the ramp to get back in. I can't tell you how many times he's had to wait for someone to come out that moved the cone and parked next to him anyways. Jerks.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
6/30/08 1:56 p.m.

Went by the local Publix yesterday and saw another of my pet peeves: shopping carts shoved into the handicap spots and just left all over the place. One was particularly stupid, it was sitting in the space right next to the 'cart corral'. That had to be one lazy idiot.

Sometimes I despair of the human species.

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing New Reader
7/1/08 2:23 p.m.

Just found this site: http://www.handicappedfraud.org/index.php?mod=postit "HandicappedFraud.org was launched as a place for community based reporting of handicapped placard abuse and fraud. Unfortunately, there is wide spread abuse of the blue placards issued to the handicapped, and there simply aren't enough police officers to issue the tickets. "

You can order or print stickers or plain papers with "reported to handicapped fraud " on it, at lest to scare people a bit. Maybe they'd think you've called police.

Javier

Duke
Duke Dork
7/2/08 8:34 a.m.
Twin_Cam wrote: ...people that park across two parking spaces. Especially when they drive SUVs. I have urges to smash taillights in situations like those...

Back when I drove more of a beater myself, any time I saw someone doing that, and had a free spot next to them, I would park perfectly parallel to them about 1-1/2" away from their driver's side door.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BvONMumXNnrZia78nwXqfxg0XT1zAV6i4N19lCblR9I3z0WY6E09ACjdS2vMonr8