McJimbo
McJimbo New Reader
8/19/22 10:16 a.m.

Hey folks, was planning to tow a Focus zx3 from NJ down to the Challenge with my dd Nissan Frontier in October but it's been giving me problems lately.  It has 210k miles and recently has left me on the side of the road a few times.  I don't want to spend the challenge on the side of Rt95 somewhere in SC...  Anyone know of a reasonably priced way to tow it? I looked at uhaul but it would be $3k to rent one of their trucks due to their mileage charges. Thanks!

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/19/22 10:26 a.m.

It still won't be cheap, but Enterprise truck rental gives (I think) 150 miles/day allowance on truck rentals.  Might work out to rent it for extra days versus paying per mile fees.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
8/19/22 10:31 a.m.

Yup, several friends have rented 2500/3500 trucks from Enterprise commercial to tow to races with no problems.  Not cheap, but cheaper than having a tow vehicle around that only gets used a few times a year. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 10:35 a.m.

Note that only the commercial side of Enterprise allows you to tow with a rental vehicle, the standard consumer side restricts it in the contract (as do Hertz, Avis, etc).

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/22 10:51 a.m.

Tow down to Lorton VA then take the auto train to Orlando? 

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/22 10:59 a.m.

I recently rented from Hertz  (well, Herc because it's Hertz commercial) and I think they allowed 400 miles a day included in the price which was something like $175/day I think.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/22 11:04 a.m.

I'd offer the excursion but if your in Jersey, getting to the other side of PA to pick it up might be tricky

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
8/19/22 1:51 p.m.

Second (third?) for enterprise commercial. We've rented from them before and it was fairly quick/painless. 

McJimbo
McJimbo New Reader
8/19/22 3:00 p.m.

Thanks guys, I forgot Hertz and Enterprize had commercial vehicles too. I'll look into it tonight and see what i can come up with. I'm ok spending some money, I just have a hard time justifying $3k to tow my $2k car smiley.  Thanks for the thought RevRico, very nice of you.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/19/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to McJimbo :

After browsing the Enterprise Truck rental website, be sure to make the call sooner rather than later. From my rough browsing, at least a week.  You may have to call them to get a price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ljZuJBRJQrg69jGhe2hHjiNi9OljmHVrvhZ6YkJjQ1FBflzdNoJkju7UqbIEMkS7