1 2
68TR250
68TR250 Reader
8/15/20 10:47 a.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Contractor grade at HD is pretty questionable.  It is so thin that I accidently knicked it with shears cutting grass near and it sprung a leak.  Plus they kink to beat the band.  $19 100 foot hose seemed good at the time.  Actually though beyond the thinnest and the kinking, I am on my second with them.

BlindPirate
BlindPirate Reader
8/15/20 11:49 p.m.

Another negative vote for the HF hose. This one is green. New this spring. Male end fitting started leaking in June. Now it spins when you try to put a nozzle on it. Won't even make a good hammer.

Uncle David (Forum Supporter)
Uncle David (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/16/20 8:12 p.m.

Another vote (mostly) for Continental:

Flexible in all temperatures and thick brass hardware. I bought red so that I could see it easier.  Also comes in black.  Why would anyone ever buy a green garden hose? Don't believe the "kink-free design" claim though.  This stuff kinks easier than a frat boy on Spring break in Amsterdam.  Unkinks easily however and doesn't leave a mark.  After about 5 summers I'm seeing some fading, but no wear or degradation.  

dclafleur
dclafleur Reader
4/14/21 9:35 a.m.

In reply to SamyBlond :

I can say that the Gilmour Farm and Ranch I referenced in this thread 2 years ago is still going strong so I guess I've had it for 3 years. Probably one of the better hoses I've had.

Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter)
Dusterbd13-michael (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/14/21 10:06 a.m.

I wound up with the red continental like suggested last fall. Been a good hose!

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
4/14/21 10:53 a.m.

Ahh, the hose thread is back. How timely!

I ditched my other "Never Kink" hose because it wouldn't fit on my new steel hose reel on wheels. I named it the "Only Kink" because that's all it ever did. Ended up with a 150ft "medium duty" hose from Home Depot. It's terrible in other ways. This one kinks up even more than the last one and it feels like it's going to burst every time I use it. I would have grabbed one of those Continental ones but they only come in 50ft lengths. I guess I could get a coupler and link two together when this one inevitably bursts.

Meanwhile, the "contractor grade" one my dad scored at the dump with a metal reel on wheels a few years ago remains awesome. Go figure!

Toyman01 + Sized and
Toyman01 + Sized and GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/21 12:16 p.m.

I picked up one of these at Lowes. It has been outstanding. 

Amazon.com : Craftsman Premium Rubber Garden Hose, 100FT. x 5/8. inch :  Garden & Outdoor

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
6/25/21 1:54 p.m.

For decades the old style black butyl rubber Sears ones were the best IMO. Still have 4-5 50'ers that live outside year round in full S FL sun in my backyard nursery. They're kinda heavy but last & last.

Have a modern Zero-G 100'er (available at Lowes about $60.00) and like it a lot. Lightweight, tough outer sheath, and very flexible. Would not go back to the old style traditional hoses.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/25/21 3:01 p.m.

Yeah, perfect timing as "new hose" is on my Ace shopping list. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/25/21 3:03 p.m.

So... that "medium duty" hose I picked up in April lasted all of 2 months, and that's a generous estimate. The POS hose burst completely apart on the 4th or 5th use. Flat out unacceptable.

I went to Home Depot with the intention of getting a pair of Continental hoses, but they were sold out everywhere in the entire Northeast for some reason, so I ended up with this:

Associate at the store recommended this one. So far, so good. Hose is durable and hasn't had kinking issues like the other ones I've used recently. It's hexagonal shaped which resists kinking and adds some strength to the casing. I kept the receipt this time, in case it decides to burst, but I am hoping I get years out of this instead of days.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zEbOj8RCVW1YaO0PPCM7YXcdS5fVx730m5qWU6mObZ2PCykRdAEdwCluUeKIOmSh