1 2
secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/14/22 7:59 p.m.

Just moved back into a house, looking for a decent and inexpensive gas grill. 

Nothing fancy and does not need to be big enough to feed the whole neighborhood, but not a portable table model (want to use normal 20# propane cylinders).  It will sit on my carport, so it won't really be exposed to weather and I expect it to last a long time.  My last one was a cast iron Char-Broil tank that I had for 23 years and rebuilt the guts a few times over the years.  The tiny apartment I moved to didn't have enough room for me to keep it, so now I need a grill.  Not interested in charcoal grills at this time, want the convenience of gas.  Main issues I'm seeing when I look at ones at the stores is crappy products and high prices.  Everything seems to be thin sheet metal that feels flimsy, has a crappy grease capture system that appears guaranteed to make a mess either while cooking (won't actually catch the grease) or trying to remove and clean out, and costs $400-$500 for the small ones, has useless (to me) features like a side burner, or is humongous and priced accordingly. I just want a basic grill that I can use for the next 20 years without paying a weeks salary for it...

Gimme your suggestions please.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/14/22 8:06 p.m.

20 years? Buy the cheapest Weber. 

Slippery
8/14/22 8:09 p.m.

I had one of these and it was extremely well made. The burners will not last 20 years, but the grill is cast and definitely will.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/14/22 8:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I have the next size down Weber,  the 2200  I bought the optional stand.   I run it off a full size propane tank but also can be run off tiny tanks.   I probably bought it in 2009. I've replaced the burner twice and regulator once, always with genuine Weber parts.  This is good testiment to the fact that Weber backs/supports the product. 

Mine lives outside and I generally don't take care of it.   About 2 hours ago it served up pork chops! 

Downsides:

One: It's not hot enough to sear anything but high dollar steaks rarely grace my grill.  

Two: it's not tall enough to cook beer can chicken.  

Three: one flame control so not hot side and warm side,  but you learn where the hot spots/cooler spots are.  

Slippery
8/14/22 8:28 p.m.

The Q series has a 5 year warranty. You will not need it on the body, but yes on the burners per my experience. It has two, a straight one and a loop one. 

These two are another option if you want to up the warranty to 10 years. Mind you that Weber's warranty is extremely good, all they want is the serial number and a picture and you have new parts at your door. 

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
8/14/22 9:16 p.m.

I'll say this,  I've almost stopped using my gas grill after getting a pellet smoker.

Technically, pellet smokers are electric/pellet hybrid and give a great control of temperature.  

Yes, it grills just fine

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/14/22 9:16 p.m.

I have the similar three knob Weber shown above - buy the Weber cover to protect it  

We love ours - I used to be the $119 propane grill guy and hated the crap after a year.

This is one area to spend more than you want to and be pleasantly surprised as you use it for many years.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/14/22 9:45 p.m.

Another vote for Weber. They're built solid and well thought out if/when you need replacement parts, vs just getting another grill if/when it breaks. I had a Twin Eagle (supposed to be the best) setup that was nothing but headaches, replaced it all with Weber for 1/4 of the cost and no issues for years. 

8/14/22 9:48 p.m.
Datsun310Guy said:

...I used to be the $119 propane grill guy and hated the crap after a year.

This is one area to spend more than you want to and be pleasantly surprised as you use it for many years.

Thanks for the Weber suggestions, but keep other options coming please.  That is pretty steep in my mind.  Forgot about being able to do hot side and warm/cold side and beer can chicken.  Definitely want to accommodate those in my purchase.

My Char-Broil was $99 in 1997 (is that really the equivalent of $500 now? (A quick search results in a range of $174-$183 in today's money)).  I loved it.  Used it at least twice a week for 17 years then maybe 2 to 4 times a month for the last six-seven years. Replaced burners etc. about every 8 years at a cost of less than $50 each time. I hated to part with it when I moved, but no cooking outside at apartment and no room to store it. Couldn't give it away so it went into the metal recycling at the dump...

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/14/22 9:51 p.m.

Blackstone. 32 or 36 inch. 

Crxpilot
Crxpilot HalfDork
8/14/22 9:56 p.m.

I was gifted a used 4 burner Char-Broil 9 years ago and it lives outside without a cover.  This is west TX so it's dry, but still a testament to solid build.  We use it just 5-10 times per year and it's been great.  Is a used machine out of the question?

This one's $75 close to me and every part is still available.  But it probably works great as-is

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/14/22 9:58 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

How about a used, taller Weber?  As stated, all the parts are available.  Somewhere in a fancy part of town someone is offloading a Weber just because the burner is shot.  Maybe the regulator too.  

Some time with the dirty job of some oven cleaner first and you could have a long lasting grill for under $200.  Check facebook in your area.  

$100 Weber Spirit near me and it seller states he just like charcoal better. $569 earlier on this page.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/22 10:33 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

I have that same grill, except mine has a burner on the side. In the summer we cook a lot on it. Sausages for breakfast? Cast iron Pan on the side burner. Tacos? Meat in the cast iron on side burner, tortillas on a griddle placed right on the grill grates. Bratwurst for lunch quite often. Frozen pizza is superb on it. 

The auto start fails every year. I used to fix it but now just use a lighter. After 6 years, it's time to replace or refinish the grills. Otherwise it's been flawless. 

8/14/22 10:53 p.m.

In reply to Crxpilot :

Used is definitely acceptable, but still need an idea of what I should be looking for.  Don't have a FarceBook account and refuse to go down that path, but I should look at C-list...  Sounds like Weber & Char-Broil are the top brands to look for at this point.

8/14/22 10:57 p.m.
mtn said:

In reply to Crxpilot :

The auto start fails every year. I used to fix it but now just use a lighter.

I think the lighter feature on my old grill died after the first year or two.  Used one of the butane lighters with the long flexible "arms" after that.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
8/14/22 11:10 p.m.

In reply to secretariata (Forum Supporter) :

Where are you located? I'd think someone here would look at FB for you. There are deals there, $900 grill for $125...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/22 12:40 a.m.

Another option: Broil King. I've had a Signet 20 for at least a decade and it's been rock solid. Converted it to NG a couple of years ago. Cast body, cast grills, good support. The electric igniter still works, everything still works. They're the Standard Canadian BBQ but you can get them through Lowes in the US. 

The 20 should meet your criteria. No side burners, just three fairly powerful ones in the main body. It does not struggle to sear. 

I've got a pellet smoker as well but I like the responsiveness of a gas grill. 

Katya4me
Katya4me New Reader
8/15/22 7:07 a.m.

I'm definitely a fan of my Webers and have 2 that I got used off of CL. 

I got a Q 200 six years ago for grilling at rallyx and the thing is fantastic for that:

https://koa.com/blog/review-giveaway-weber-q200-a-go-almost-anywhere-grill/

You can use the stand and use it as a home grill with a full size tank, but I prefer a traditional grill setup at home.

I got a Spirit E-210 two years ago and have been very happy with it.  I did have to replace the flavorizer bars this summer as they'd gotten quite rusty, but $30 is quite cheap compared to a new grill and that's one of the few week points on it. 

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/gas-grills/spirit/spirit-e-210-gas-grill/46110001.html

Slippery
8/15/22 7:29 a.m.

In reply to Katya4me :

The flavorizer bars were under warranty. You should call Weber as they would have replaced them for free. You have 10 years of warranty. 

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
8/15/22 7:41 a.m.

I delivered items for a big box store for several years. I assembled and carried many, many grills. The only ones that felt well built to me were Webers. I can't see anything cheaper lasting 20 years.

When it came time for me to replace a free Char Broil that had come to a fiery demise, I spent the money for a Spirit e-310 without hesitation. I use it 1-2 times per week during warmer months with minimal maintenance (keep it covered and brush the grates off before use). It's been a great grill for ~5 years now, and should continue for many more years.

cdowd (Forum Supporter)
cdowd (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/15/22 8:31 a.m.

I had a Ducane grill for almost 20 years that I just replaced.  I found on open box Napoleon grill for 500 that is normally close to 1k.  They have a full 15 year warranty and made in Canada.  Those 2 might be worth keeping an eye out for used.

porschenut
porschenut HalfDork
8/15/22 9:02 a.m.

Any of the name brand ones, a cast gas manifold is a good indicator of quality.  I got a Jenn Air free on FB, put $50 of parts into it and it works great.  

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/15/22 9:58 a.m.
Slippery said:

20 years? Buy the cheapest Weber. 

I bought a cheap-ish Weber gas grill (I think a Spirit) this last time based on that same assumption.  I've been extremely disappointed with not only the construction but the performance.  The tub is sturdy but everything else feels cheap.

I was much happier with my Char-broil Infrared.  It cooked pretty nicely and I got about 10 years out of it before the tub rusted enough that I couldn't justify replacing the rusted diffusers (I did that twice, at about $75 a set).

www.charbroil.com/tru-infrared

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/15/22 12:04 p.m.

I just buy the stainless 4 burner charbroil for around 200$ every 7 years or so.

Works great.  Last a long time even uncovered.  

Probably grill out 2x per week.

8/15/22 9:09 p.m.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.  I'm in Lynchburg, VA now, but won't have time to look at anything until next week.  Tied up the rest of this week...

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Although that grill looks like a great deal, it is way bigger than I want or need.  It's just me and no plans or expectation for family expansion. Probably won't ever cook more than 2 racks of ribs, a beer can chicken, or a few steaks/chops/burgers.  Whatever I get will be sharing an attached 1 car carport (so mostly protected from weather) with a riding lawnmower, herbie curbie, bag chair & folding table (my deck/patio) and if this coming weekend's mission is successful an NA Miata (or as much of it as I can fit).  I don't have a patio, deck, garage, shed or such so the carport is acting as all of those.

In reply to "The Rest of  You Animals" (and I mean that in the most loving way!):

Was in the Lowes/Derpot places this weekend so I thought I'd glance around since it will soon be time for summer seasonal stuff to go on sale and they didn't have very many gas grills on display and the ones they did have started at $400+ (shocking to me since I hadn't shopped for them in almost 25 years) and seemed more cheaply made than my old grill.  Looking online at reviews for ones under $500 and the articulate and useful reviews tend to indicate that most of these are "not the droids I'm looking for" which caused me to start this thread. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DE80wAEMV0aHi58LDOsJJ4ONIvSU8PcCDkkfUVJNyzYox046AdgFmvdXQYiwqfit