SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
1/12/16 9:27 p.m.

So this is the house where lightning charger cords come to die. I've owned apple's, generic, and apple approved cords.

Generic: I'm lucky if they last 2 weeks.

Apple Approved: I'm lucky if they last 2 months.

Apple's: I get 2 or 3 months.

Apples previous cords on older devices lasted forever, these newer ones, are E36 M3. I've paid $10 and I've paid $30. They all suck.

Does someone make one that doesn't suck that doesn't cost a lot? I'm tired of shelling out money for new cords.

I blame my wife.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/12/16 9:45 p.m.

Ventev cords, locally made (to me at least) and they have a flat cord design that doesn't twist or hold shape memory so that the internals never twist and break.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
1/12/16 10:06 p.m.

$5 generic(5 and below) breaks at 2 weeks evens out to $20 Apple for 2 months. I have only lost genuine Apple cords to cats.

Now micro USB for everything else, I have had E36 M3 luck. My only good one was the 5' that came with my PS4, still good after almost a year, but I need a 10' for that job. Everything else from cheapos to LG have died early deaths with not staying connected.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/16 10:12 p.m.

I've only ever broken one charge cord, it was a retractable 30-pin cord.

We have two iPhone 5s and iPad Mini and an iPad and they all have their original cords and get used on a daily basis. We also have extra cords and chargers in the cars and in the living room in case we need to recharge.

Sounds like operator error and throwing more money and cords at it likely won't help.

EvanR
EvanR Dork
1/12/16 10:17 p.m.

https://sewelldirect.com/mos-spring-lightning-cable-black-1m

If you break this, you can no longer have nice things. However, if you break this, they will send you a free replacement.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/16 10:56 p.m.

When you disconnect them, do you pull on the cable or on the connector? I've only had one show any damage, and that was a Belkin that gets abused in my truck. My Apple cords and a few I picked up from Monoprice are all fine. The Monoprice ones seem to be built reasonably well and they're sure inexpensive.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/13/16 7:29 a.m.

I'll second the Monoprice and also recommend the Amazon Basic ones.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
1/13/16 8:59 a.m.

I use my cords all the time and non of them break. What are you doing to the poor things? Breaking the cord or burning out the electrics? If it's a cord break, learn to be gentler, if it's nuked electrics maybe you should get your electric service checked for surges. Do other electronics suffer equally?

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
1/13/16 9:25 a.m.

Never had one break either and between iphones, ipods, and ipads we have them all overthe place and use them all the time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/13/16 9:34 a.m.

We usually don't have trouble with the Apple-branded ones except for the fact that they apparently smell like cat food.

No-brand ones usually last a couple months, but eventually get fussy about how they are put in the phone - one side up may not work, etc.

I'm interested in those braided ones - I may get one for the desk where it often falls victim to cats. I currently have wire loom around the one there now.

Dave
Dave Reader
1/13/16 10:02 a.m.

The wife and kids seem to go through those Lightning cords pretty well too. The previous ones lasted the life of the device though.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/13/16 10:31 a.m.

All the cords seem to break right at the connector end of the cord. After the first couple cords we had damaged my wife and i have made sure we are pulling on the connector and not the cord when disconnecting it from the phone.

However, they still die. I don't know if using the phone while plugged in damages it, I'm not sure

That spring style from Sewell has me interested.

bastomatic
bastomatic UltraDork
1/13/16 10:37 a.m.

My generic and Apple branded lightning cables have all died as well with the new connector (since I think the 5)

They all do the same thing - the rubber near the phone connector seems to stretch, then crack, then expose the wiring underneath.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/13/16 10:43 a.m.

In reply to bastomatic:

Some of mine do that and others don't even get that far. We bought a couple fabric braided ones and flat ones because they said they wouldn't do that and they still died.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/13/16 11:00 a.m.

Try this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1144737&gclid=CP7nvKKhp8oCFQEaaQodCSgAxg&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&Q=&A=details

Cable comes out at a 90* angle, which means a lot less bending of the thing.

jstand
jstand HalfDork
1/13/16 11:40 a.m.

I've had good luck with the ones by Anker on Amazon. I replaced one damaged apple one and bought additional ones for the car and work. They fall in between the ones from Apple and the cheap generics at about $10 each.

So far its been about 3-4 months and no signs of deterioration or failure from everyday use yet (although I'm sure one will fail now that I said it).

We did have one fail, but that was when my wife's iPad fell to the floor with the cable plugged in. The lightning connector on the cable took the brunt of the impact and the contact portion of the connector broke free.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/13/16 12:06 p.m.

I have an Amazon Basic one also. Works great and is well built (some of the clones can be very flimsy)

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
1/13/16 12:49 p.m.

I use the Amazon Basic's cables.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
1/13/16 1:34 p.m.

We've also killed one of the amazon basic cables.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/13/16 2:04 p.m.

That flat cable design makes all the difference in not twisting and breaking the wire within. Using the device while charging causes most of the bending, twisting and damage to cables, this design eliminates that issue.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
1/14/16 11:46 a.m.

No issues over the last 4 months with my 6s, evidently my cat is indeed defective as she could care less about the OE cord, the cheap aftermarket, or the Amazon basic.......dammit Ben.

The Hoff
The Hoff UltraDork
1/14/16 11:55 a.m.

I've had good luck with Amazon Basics cords, but that was with the older iPhone cords.

My current aftermarket (Apple approved) cord loses connectivity at times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yxsz5rR4TH4K7HXl5r0vkFCokP8btTs9R3QvrwSbJUJZgsgeszEAdbyrHPvJjrfF