1 2
PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/14/12 4:18 p.m.

Looking for some new bands to listen to. My music tastes have changed a bit as ive aged and I'm a bit lost as to what to listen to. Here are a few bands that have been getting heavy play by me recently so you have some idea what I'm into:

Jack Johnson.
Modest Mouse.
Mumford and Sons.
Tool/A Perfect Circle.

Ok, so that's a pretty small list to start with but any ideas for me?

phinz
phinz New Reader
3/14/12 4:26 p.m.

If you like Tool/A Perfect Circle, check out Puscifer. It's Maynard's other band, and it's even cooler because Milla Jovovich has been a member before.

I'm a big fan of Carbon Leaf. Junkyard Dog on these forums introduced me to them. Celtic Rock Bluegrass Jam Band tunes at their best.

Duke
Duke UberDork
3/14/12 4:31 p.m.

The Fratellis - seem to have drunk themselves into oblivion, but the first album or 2 are good.

Franz Ferdinand - Scottish art scene metrosexuals somehow still manage to rock out.

Southern Culture On The Skids - guitar-driven hillbilly ratrod surf; white trash with humor, intelligence, and talent.

None of these bands is particularly new, but I like them all. Try them out!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/14/12 4:33 p.m.

The Mars Volta (kindof weird, REALLY awesome)
+1 to Franz Ferdinand

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
3/14/12 4:37 p.m.

Put your bands into Pandora and see what it spits out at you.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/14/12 4:42 p.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Put your bands into Pandora and see what it spits out at you.

That's actually how I found most of the bands I listen to these days.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/14/12 6:28 p.m.

anything from jason molina.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93xc7p_yKw

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/14/12 7:03 p.m.

Wintersleep
Cold War Kids
Chuck Ragan
Austin Lucas
The Weakerthans
Trampled by Turtles

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
3/14/12 9:08 p.m.

SLAYER.. you just can't go wrong with them.

Foo Fighters

dig out some of your tapes/cd's from your youth and see if you are in the mood for any of that.. i did that a few years ago when i put a tape deck in my 97 Cavalier.. i found myself listening to my old DRI, Iron Maiden, Sacred Reich, SLAYER, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, and Metallica tapes- as well as a few mix tapes that took me right back to what i was thinking about when i made them- that i hadn't looked at for about 10 years..

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
3/14/12 9:14 p.m.

Gas light anthem, Against Me!!!, early Deftones are always a hit in my book as well

corytate
corytate Dork
3/14/12 9:16 p.m.

get into morrissey/the smiths.

dabird
dabird New Reader
3/14/12 9:23 p.m.

I'll be that guy and recommend my own band. In the same ballpark as some of the other bands already listed. If you like it you can get our albums on Itunes, Independent record stores or from our record label

www.facebook.com/frontiersband

http://nosleeprecs.com/artist.php?id=24

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/14/12 10:32 p.m.

Jason Mraz, Ben Harper, John Mayer, The Shins, Cake, Flaming Lips, Florence and the Machine, Kings of Leon, The Low Anthem, White Stripes, Everything is Energy, Regina Spektor, Deftones, Queens of the Stone Age, Boards of Canada, Damien Rice, Colbie Callait, Gavin DeGraw, James Morrison, Bon Iver, Phoenix.

Extrapolations of those might include Postal Service, Jamiroquai, Yeah yeah yeahs, My Morning Jacket.

Softer sides of those might include David Gray, Michael Buble, Elvis Costello, Cat Stevens (Youssef Islam), William Fitzsimmons, Gregory Hoskins, Sera Cahoone, Dar Williams, Iron and Wine, Rachel McCartney, Ray LaMontagne, Tallest Man on Earth.

Plug those into Spotify or Pandora and you'll get buttloads of good stuff. I edited and italicized the ones that I particularly recommend.

mtn
mtn PowerDork
3/14/12 10:45 p.m.
PubBurgers wrote: Mumford and Sons.

Going off of this one:

Avett Brothers
G. Love
Reckless Kelly
Justin Townes Earle
Mickey and the Motorcars

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
3/14/12 11:45 p.m.

motorhead ministry ozzy black label society on youtube hit / type motorhead albums so you get the full flavor and an hours worth songs listen to this while you contemplate marcia griffiths

gamby
gamby PowerDork
3/14/12 11:56 p.m.

Fleet Foxes--last year's "Helplessness Blues" is an incredible album from beginning to end

The Mark Lanegan Band--I haven't dug into the album yet, but this track is stellar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP5GWYXp4d0

ValuePack
ValuePack Dork
3/15/12 12:27 a.m.

Some things I've been listening to as of late: Autolux, TV on the Radio, Red Fang, Black Keys, Working For a Nuclear Free City... that's about it in terms of stuff that fits your criteria that hasn't been mentioned. Lots of chill-out electronic and clawhammer banjo(?!) on my agenda as of late as well, amongst other things.

Nice to see mention of QOTSA, Boards of Canada, and Postal Service up there... LOVE. There's enough music out there that you couldn't hear it all even if you tried; never stop looking.

Edit: Some more for the list. Mute Math's first album, Failure, Boom Boom Satellites, and Wired All Wrong. Boards of Canada fans simply MUST check out Tycho; very similar sound, and very good.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled Reader
3/15/12 1:18 a.m.

Chevelle is similar to Tool and A Perfect Circle.

poopshovel
poopshovel PowerDork
3/15/12 7:41 a.m.

Based on Tool: Quicksand, Deftones. Maynard actually sang on a REALLY good tune with them called "Passenger."

dabird
dabird New Reader
3/15/12 7:44 a.m.

In reply to poopshovel:

Quicksand!

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
3/15/12 7:48 a.m.
Otto Maddox wrote: Put your bands into Pandora and see what it spits out at you.

When I added the Dave Matthews Band to Pandora, it gives me Jack Johnson every once it a while.

Seems like it does a pretty good job matching...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/15/12 8:08 a.m.

I've been getting into Joe Bonamassa lately, another Pandora suggestion based on Johnny Lang, SRV and Kenny Wayne Shepard.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
3/15/12 8:58 a.m.

Beats Antique. They have a very middle eastern/funk/indy sound that I'm addicted to. If you make a Pandora station for them you get a lot of great chill music.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/15/12 9:15 a.m.

Mumford and Sons toured with a band called Cadillac Sky, look them up, great music. From them, it's only a quick jaunt into any and all bluegrass, which, as we know, cures cancer. Everyone should listen to it.

mndsm
mndsm UberDork
3/15/12 9:55 a.m.
novaderrik wrote: SLAYER.. you just can't go wrong with them. Foo Fighters dig out some of your tapes/cd's from your youth and see if you are in the mood for any of that.. i did that a few years ago when i put a tape deck in my 97 Cavalier.. i found myself listening to my old DRI, Iron Maiden, Sacred Reich, SLAYER, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, and Metallica tapes- as well as a few mix tapes that took me right back to what i was thinking about when i made them- that i hadn't looked at for about 10 years..

Strange. I was going to post Slayer myself.

As far as Maynard style metal goes- check out Chevelle. Their new album reminds me a LOT of Tool.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LJ8DwWjTQzTSe68PZxa5xu3tgcreApTIXe39NvQzEVtdGCLPu6VLQrcsVlyReZ3j