1 2
noodle
noodle GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/1/17 5:45 p.m.

Another thumbs up for Dan Carlin's Hardcore History and his Common Sense. Also enjoy The Skeptics Guide, Penn's Sunday School and Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast. The Joe Rogan Experience can be good too

lrrs
lrrs Reader
2/1/17 11:29 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Here you go: https://gimletmedia.com Awesome podcasts from an awesome company. I particularly like Startup, Reply All, and Science Vs.

Today I noticed a new episode of UnDone by Gimlet. I was said to hear the intro, UnDone, is done. Sent them a message via their FB Page letting them know I was disappointed that it would no longer be produced as it is one of the better casts out there.

It was a powerful last episode about the columbia shuttle break up, and the positives that came from it to ensure future astronauts have a better chance of living through something like this going forward.

Steve

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
2/1/17 12:56 p.m.

Mikerowe.com has a bunch of Paul Harvey style stories.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
10/31/19 10:15 p.m.

AWSX1686 just introduced me to The Darknet Dairies. Super cool, generally interesting (#5 i think was breaking in to the wrtong bank...) 

good stuff.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
10/31/19 11:33 p.m.

Neat thread. I listen to a ton of The No Sleep Podcast. Also regular car reviews has a good podcast. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/1/19 7:04 a.m.

In the two years since this thread started, I have been listening to the Dale Jr download.  It is now mostly an interview.  Very good for stock car fans, interesting for race fans. The show kinda found it's center starting with a Jeff Gordon show a little over a year ago.  Dale asks about their history, how they got where they are.  He is genuinely interested in racing history.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/1/19 7:09 a.m.

One that I keep finding myself going back to is True Crime Garage. Every week they dive into a different case and talk about the evidence and such. 

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
11/1/19 7:23 a.m.
  • Make No Law - Ken White from PopeHat breaks down the 1st Amendment and the case law surrounding it.
  • All the President's Lawyer's - Basically a look at the potential legal ramifications  of the court intrigue happening in the White House.
  • Citations Needed - Media criticism podcast. Some of them are unbiased-ish and some are unabashedly leftist, but they're all well cited and the guests are generally excellent.
  • Intercepted - The founder of The Intercept, a news outlet who has been handling huge government leaks as of late, talks about recent events. Guests are often high profile and pretty interesting. It's center left I'll warn.
  • Marketplace - Financial news of the day.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/1/19 7:40 a.m.

Coffee with Scott Adams (the Dilbert creator) is pretty good; I'll warn he is generally a Trump supporter but also fairly pragmatic.  The other day he had Matt Gaetz on the show, that was interesting (though there were some technical issues).

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/1/19 7:47 a.m.

The OdoShow!   

Ok, not really. I've been doing a live-stream show for my company and they're making a podcast from the audio. But I can't really recommend it as being interesting to listen to unless you are obsessed about cleaning.  I'm still a little baffled that the videos have an audience.

ShawnG
ShawnG PowerDork
11/1/19 12:23 p.m.

AOM Podcast

Zen Studies Podcast

Jordan B Peterson Podcast

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/1/19 12:57 p.m.

Hi Nick,

My favorite is “Big Picture Science” formerly know as “Are They Out There” hosted by Seth Shostak who is a Ph.D. Astronomer and is a Senior Scientist at the SETI Institute. He’s as witty and articulate as he is expert on scientific subjects.

Link to Big Picture Science

He’s one of the go-to experts the Science Channel interviews frequently and is based in Palo Alto, CA. A co-worker of mine who was based in Sunnyvale, CA (10 miles away) shared the same unusual last name so I asked her if he was her husband; yep. I leveraged the connection when I visited the Arecibo radio telescope in Puerto Rico as he’s one of the most senior people overseeing the facility.

Anyway, Big Picture Science is totally funny but not dumbed down.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
11/1/19 12:58 p.m.

Another vote for Radiolab and Stuff you should know. 

Also highly recommend ESPN’s 30 for 30 podcast. Great production and investigative journalism into fascinating stories covering all kinds of sports. “Yankees Suck” and “Madden’s Game” are two of my favorite episodes. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/1/19 1:11 p.m.

Mostly comedy and cooking stuff for me. 

#somethingsburning
#hotones
#theburgershow

etc, and clips from sports talk shows regarding the NBA or F1.

EDIT: I'm really big fan of the burger show and his frequent quest George Motz.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UberDork
11/1/19 4:11 p.m.
minivan_racer said:

I'm sure this is not the first time I've posted about podcasts, but I'll be darned if I can't find it now. My current rotation:

The Smoking Tire, Hooniverse (not the Jeff solo ones), Driving while Awesome, Cammed and Tubbed (GRM forum alum hosts), Slipangle (challenge vet Adam Jabbay cohosts), Clutchkick, TenTenths

3 years and my tastes have changed.  My current playlist includes:

Ten Tenths Podcast

The Modern Maker Podcast

Making It

Made for Profit

The Make or Break Show

There are some others I listen to periodically but those are the ones I don't miss episodes of

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/1/19 5:16 p.m.

Necro thread. 

I don't have time to listen to podcasts anymoresad

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
11/1/19 6:20 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

CBC radio Under the influence. It a half hour show about the history of advertising and marketing. I really enjoy it.

Saw the thread title and that was the first thing that came to my mind.

Great show

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/19 6:44 p.m.

Dinner with Racers is good.   A lot of the content is not racing but just getting to know people in the racing world. 

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
11/2/19 4:54 p.m.
Greg Smith said:

AWSX1686 just introduced me to The Darknet Dairies. Super cool, generally interesting (#5 i think was breaking in to the wrtong bank...) 

good stuff.

Thanks for turning me on to this. Listened to a couple episodes. Really interesting stuff. 

tester
tester New Reader
11/2/19 5:10 p.m.

Mike Rowe is great. "The way I heard it" is fun if a bit embellished. 

Dave Ramsey is good financial commentary. It is also a Tennessee hillbilly yelling at folks for being stupid with money. I am easily entertained. 

"Borrowed Future" is a good one on the student loan crisis. Be warned;  you will need a shower after listening. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
11/2/19 10:45 p.m.

This thread has been going for three years and two pages and NOBODY has mentioned Ross Bentley's Speed Secrets???

The man tells people how to go fast for a living and you can just listen to him for free. It's amazing. I highly recommend anybody who wants to go fast around a track give it a listen.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
11/3/19 12:03 a.m.

In reply to white_fly :

It did take a pretty long hiatus. After I was introduced to The Darknet Diaries, I decided to see what the hive mind was listening to and was able to find and resurrect the old thread instead of starting anew. I think that's the better approach, instead of having multiple threads about the same topic. 

I definitely appreciate the additional recommendations. When I go in to work, it's a 2 hour drive. Working from home is a Good Thing, but it's not every day. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
11/4/19 3:32 p.m.

Uncle Tony's Garage

I found him on YouTube, then saw he did podcasts prior for about a year. They are limited in number but if you are into low cost engine building, drag racing and/or hearing a guy from Staten Island  tell funny and sometimes profane stories about things like carrying a big block Mopar engine home on a city bus you'll find it entertaining. They get better as they go too.

If you aren't watching UTG on YouTube you shold be doing that too.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pql4tctSw4TkIgLhQK7FmJrRSdcrOqbjXVbEQwAUAa2IVAw1MuEwQu5W1unTRY0b