ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/10/14 5:03 p.m.

I've graduated school and won't be needing the magic park-anywhere abilities of my Honda Fit any more, so I'm thinking of moving up to something that will be more comfortable and get better mileage.

--My commute to work is either 16 miles/30 minutes stop-and-go grind or 23 miles/30 minutes on the freeway each way. Either route is deadly boring, I've done the commute in my SE-R, which is frankly a barrel of laughs, and even that car doesn't make this commute fun. Therefore, I'm looking for an appliance.

--The Fit does maybe 29-30 MPGs on the short route, 33-35 on the long one, I want to beat both these numbers.

--The Fit also lets in a lot of road noise and rides like a car with a really short wheelbase (surprise!), I'd like a bit more insulation from the outside world.

--The Fit works perfectly with ~160k on the clock, I don't want to give up reliability. Probably nothing older than 2005.

--The Fit is probably worth $6-8k, so I'd like to stay in that ballpark.

So far I'm thinking Civic Hybrid, Prius, and maybe a Fusion Hybrid, though the latter is not quite in my price range yet. What am I missing?

EDIT: I should mention that I already have a 4Runner, so I have no interest in AWD, and I expect to be getting rid of the SE-R and acquiring a Miata soon-ish, so I've got The Answer covered.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/10/14 5:06 p.m.

Logical mndsm says you've already taken the hit on depreciation on the Fit- keep it til it dies or someone screws up the trans service.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/10/14 5:08 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Oh, no, no depreciation hit, I bought it two years ago for about what they sell for today. The only loss there is from Ohio's increasingly ridiculous sales tax.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/10/14 5:42 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to mndsm: Oh, no, no depreciation hit, I bought it two years ago for about what they sell for today. The only loss there is from Ohio's increasingly ridiculous sales tax.

OIC. In which case, I'd think "VW" +"TDI" wins.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/10/14 5:58 p.m.

Or the lowest mileage manual corolla you can find.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
5/10/14 6:01 p.m.

2G Prius

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/10/14 6:13 p.m.

I REALLY like the '09 and up Jetta Wagon TDI, but they aren't quite in my price range yet, and I fear the high-pressure fuel pump issue. Anything older than that is either a New Beetle or from a pretty rough era in VAG history.

My first thought was 2G Prius, but I've read that a Civic will be a better highway car. I've never really had a chance to spend 2 hrs on the freeway in a Prius and I find I can't really get a feel for how comfortable a car is going to be on the highway until I've been behind the wheel for at least an hour or two.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
5/10/14 6:31 p.m.

http://m.grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/open-classifieds/sw-fl-2000-honda-insight/80860/page1/
Insight

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
5/10/14 6:38 p.m.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know. I can see you wanting to improve comfort level over the Fit, but improve comfort AND mpg? At the same price point? I'd take mndsm's advice and drive that thing until it returns to the earth, or you get tired of it, whichever comes first.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/10/14 6:43 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2:

I'm definitely considering keeping it. More than my entire first year gas savings would be eaten up by tax and title alone, so I'd need to find something substantially better to justify swapping. With the Fusion Hybrid and new VW TDI's outside of my price range still it sounds like it might be worth waiting a couple years.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
5/10/14 7:33 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: My first thought was 2G Prius, but I've read that a Civic will be a better highway car. I've never really had a chance to spend 2 hrs on the freeway in a Prius and I find I can't really get a feel for how comfortable a car is going to be on the highway until I've been behind the wheel for at least an hour or two.

Possible. The 1G Prius is not a great highway car, although still better than a Fit IMO. Pretty much only due to the steering sensitivity, which is likely better on a 2G but I have not confirmed this at speed.

The Civic Hybrid isn't a bad highway car (like a normal Civic), but its less reliable than the Prius, especially the CVT models. The Civic Hybrid was CVT only 2006+

In my experience, highway numbers will be similar for both cars, but the Prius is more efficient in the city. Either of them should crush the Fit #s. Prius you could probably maintain above 50mpg if you took the stop and go route.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/10/14 7:34 p.m.

The 2G Prius will kill the Fit on comfort and cabin space, and beat it's MPG by 50%.

It is not fun. Absolutely boring as crap.

But a more reliable appliance does not exist. And you can get a decent sound system. Fits in your price range too.

I'm looking for one now. To park next to my Cooper S.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/10/14 10:27 p.m.

I was not aware that the 2G Prius was more reliable that the Civic Hybrid. I'll have to find somewhere that'll let me take one on an extended test drive.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
5/11/14 7:44 a.m.

Can a Prius be made to handle well without sacrificing comfort?

I could definitely live with something like this:

A similar search for 2G Prius Lowering Springs or 2G Prius Stance results in little to no results.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
5/11/14 8:06 a.m.

Yeah, I don't think the 3Gs are bad looking cars at all, especially in white I think they're pretty good. The one dropped over black wheels with the blacked-out hood and tail lights and limo tint is probably trying too hard, but that first one looks pretty good to me. Of course I own a 1G Fit and a 1G 4Runner sooooo that's a grain of salt.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
5/11/14 8:53 a.m.

Comfort? I have been driving around this week my dad's 2005 Lincoln Town Car......comfort, comfort, comfort . 18mpg overall average.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/11/14 9:11 a.m.

+1 2g Prius.

After multiple "what comfy/reliable/mpg car" threads it seams that prius has become the answer for beige-mobile.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
5/11/14 9:15 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Tire rack has H&R lowering spings. 1.4" front, .7" rear

Springs on tire rack

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/11/14 3:27 p.m.

They don't handle BADLY, they are BORING.

It's a combination of the power, the delivery, the suspension, the geometry, the driver interface, seats and seating position, basically everything.

Springs won't be enough.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
5/11/14 6:49 p.m.

They are fun in an odd way. The power delivery is interesting for sure. There is some lag with the engine spooling up/down or even turning on, but the electric power is pretty much instant.

Handling is not bad, and you could still have plenty of fun on a curvy road. Some springs, rear swaybar, and better wheels and tires would make things pretty interesting - just like most other economy cars.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
5/12/14 9:28 a.m.

To me I think the killer would be the CVT.

I think that what would make a Gold TDI far more fun than a Prius. If a TDI was as reliable, that is.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/14 9:46 a.m.

In reply to PHeller:

First word in title- reliability.

TDI probably doesn't qualify.

It also doesn't hit the OP's price point.

Although, an TDI Jetta DEFINITELY hits the comfort level.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
5/12/14 10:38 a.m.

250 Supermoto + Stop n' Go Route + Lane Splitting = 50 mpg and a commute that no longer sucks

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/12/14 11:06 a.m.

I'm thinking Prius too. Except for the first generation, they're a bit larger than a Fit, and in this case being porky also will make for a smoother and more comfortable ride.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
5/12/14 3:25 p.m.

Don't quote me on this but don't Corolla aftermarket rear sway bars fit on the Prius as well? Honestly, I had a Fit and found it to be the perfect commuter. It was comfortable, got decent mpg's, fun to drive and perfect amount of space. I'd not reinvent the wheel here and keep the devil you know, the Fit.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oPvvunwpqzS6vEamFdlb0NyYt1Q7rR5shnVXRndXQan8BlcQtDQ5gp68LxKUvCD9