1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/6/22 3:41 p.m.

Hi everybody,

I just deleted a thread spreading conspiracy theories about Covid vaccines. As a reminder, this isn't the place for that, and those threads will be deleted as soon as we spot them.

This place wouldn't be the same without you, and we've already lost too many forum users to Covid. 

If you have vaccine questions, concerns, etc., I strongly recommend talking one-on-one to your doctor. Not to strangers on the internet. 

And if you need help getting a vaccine, here's a good resource: https://www.vaccines.gov/

Thanks!

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/22 3:59 p.m.

But, but, but I was having so much fun pointing out the authors complete lack of statistical knowledge...

"three Sigma is a once in 200 year event"...um, no, it's a once in 400 year or a once in 800 year event depending on whether you're preforming a one-tail or a two-tailed test.

Whatever, good riddance...people that suck at math shouldn't pretend that they know what they're doing - Um' Kay. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/22 4:03 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

If we're leaning on hard science, it's been proven multiple times that just showing that information is incorrect can actually hinder the uptake of new correct information. 

Just a thought.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
1/6/22 4:21 p.m.

Tom, I took down this spammer with a Covid slant this morning at 8:48am

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/legit_certification12/

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/6/22 4:24 p.m.

Hey thanks! Now do facebook comments sections. Then we move on to twitter.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 4:31 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

It's gonna be a long night.

I missed the entertainment, but wanted to comment that I appreciate the effort

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones Dork
1/6/22 6:02 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Not to strangers on the internet. 

And here I thought we were all friends...

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/6/22 6:16 p.m.
tuna55 said:

Hey thanks! Now do facebook comments sections. Then we move on to twitter.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
1/6/22 7:25 p.m.

I appreciate you guys. Policing this and as well the no politics rule, it makes this place a kind of shelter in these crazy polarized times and just keeps it so much more relaxed. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 7:59 p.m.

Thanks for keeping stuff tidy!

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/6/22 8:17 p.m.

Agreed with all. Thanks for keeping the playground nice! That post sent me off so I was glad to see it go. 
Thanks again Suddards, GRM staff and forum Mods for giving us a place to gather! 

Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso SuperDork
1/6/22 8:57 p.m.

There's a lot of topics want to talk to each of you about. Covid, vaccines, politics, and religion isn't on the list. Never will be. So stop already. 

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/7/22 9:03 a.m.

Personally I'd like 100% of the covid talk to stop. There's an incredible amount of misinformation, on both sides. 
Heck, I'd rather talk about religion than covid. Politics is basicaly covid now, so that's one and the same in my book. 

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/22 9:06 a.m.
DrBoost said:

There's an incredible amount of misinformation, on both sides. 

There's misinformation on the wack-job side AND the science side? Please elaborate. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/7/22 9:19 a.m.
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) said:
DrBoost said:

There's misinformation on the wack-job side AND the science side? Please elaborate. 

Which is why we are not allowed to discuss it.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/22 9:21 a.m.

Same-missed the original post but appreciate you guys keeping things cleaned up.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
1/7/22 9:28 a.m.

I got my vaccines months ago and still haven't developed my magnetic powers. I am disappointed. I want to be able to pick up screws that fall into inaccessible parts of the engine compartment with my fingertips!

PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/7/22 9:33 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

I got my vaccines months ago and still haven't developed my magnetic powers. I am disappointed. I want to be able to pick up screws that fall into inaccessible parts of the engine compartment with my fingertips!

My 5G reception on my 4G phone has been great though!

Seriously, thanks to the GRM family for keeping this an auto centric and place of DIY answers for us all! There are other playgrounds for the other topics.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/7/22 9:36 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Personally I'd like 100% of the covid talk to stop. There's an incredible amount of misinformation, on both sides. 
Heck, I'd rather talk about religion than covid. Politics is basicaly covid now, so that's one and the same in my book. 

I admit this was startling. I won't get into too much detail, but when this thing hit I immediately started to act like I was in a pandemic. I figured it was like being in a war, and you can work with people against a common enemy. I was utterly astonished at how some people behaved. Politics, in the modern vulgar American context, has become a loose grouping of distantly related ideologies. I did not expect a pandemic to play into that at all.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/7/22 9:58 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
DrBoost said:

Which is why we are not allowed to discuss it.

Exactly!  Not only am I not touching that, the tone if that response is exactly why the forum needs to be cleaned up. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 11:01 a.m.

In reply to DrBoost :

I, in the short amount of time I've been a member, have noticed a lot of effort to "clean things up" by the folks that run things. As long someone disagrees with with what they think. If someone agrees with them, it seems The bar is set at a much different level. crying
There is the extreme wack job side, and also the whacked out "they said" type of science nut jobs, but much grey area in between. Neither extreme can discuss the issue without resorting to insults

I think that defines a subject that should be watched very closely, to prevent escalation. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
1/7/22 11:09 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

That's a false equivalency--facts and opinions are not the same, and we won't let this site become a breeding ground for even more conspiracy theories. Take it elsewhere. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/7/22 11:18 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to 03Panther :

That's a false equivalency--facts and opinions are not the same, and we won't let this site become a breeding ground for even more conspiracy theories. Take it elsewhere. 

The Science can be as perfect as it wants-humans make decisions on what to do with it. Humans have lots of factors pulling on what decisions they make and why. There is plenty to discuss in that interpretation of what is best for the whole or the individual and where our focus should lie. Sadly, I do think it's best it is not discussed here.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/7/22 11:20 a.m.
DrBoost said:

Whoa now. No need to stoke the fire. We're all humans here. I hope.

1 2

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
Q89GAZk5yPvfwIltilNeqpVeJ83FKDksiUY0ltkDmBdBTkOBoLhspXCOYWukah2h