NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/21/16 7:53 p.m.

I have a Vermont Castings grill that I bought 16 years ago for what seemed like a lot of $$$ at $700 or thereabouts.

It gets used about two times a week year round.

Prior to the VC I used to get about 2 years out of a grill.

I know VC went all chinese sell out, so a new VC is not the plan.

Does anyone else make a grill with the dependability that I have come to expect? I don't need fancy and I don't need side-burners or back-flames or any such things, just a grill that will get hot, maintains even the heat with a dead animal on top, not become a flamethrower and not rot out after a few years.

revrico
revrico GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/16 8:14 p.m.

The Weber Genesis line has been pretty well received. Searchable Reviews available on amazingribs.com it's a good idea to cross check anything you're looking at with this, for their professional and user submitted reviews.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/16 9:23 p.m.

I always thought side burners were unnecessary until I lost power for five days. It's really nice to be able to boil water.

Wayslow
Wayslow HalfDork
5/22/16 9:06 a.m.

I went shopping for a new gas BBQ this year and decided to rebuild my old Weber instead of putting out the $1000 it was going to cost to replace it. In my research I found that both Weber and Napoleon are still good makes but make sure what line you're buying. Both of their lower end models are made in China. All of their other models are made in the USA or Canada.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
5/22/16 1:45 p.m.

Do you want to be able to smoke things? Do you want to be able to cook on low Temps for fish and veggies and slow cooking?

eastpark
eastpark Reader
5/22/16 7:25 p.m.

Another vote for Weber Genesis here. I replaced my well used Vermont Castings grill with the Weber about 3 years ago. It's been fantastic.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/16 7:45 p.m.

My company makes parts for weber.

Their quality control is unbelievable. Their customer service is also amazing (we had been involved with a potential customer issue once).

They kick ass.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
5/22/16 7:45 p.m.

I have a Weber Genesis in stainless that is going on 7 years now and still looks new. The only thing it ever needed is a new igniter and "flavor bars" at a total cost of about $40 on Amazon.

The igniter is because I left it uncovered over the winter, water got in and then froze exploding the case. So, totally my fault.

The "flavor bars" because they are really "flame blockers" and they sit in direct flame 100% of the time keeping flare-ups from damaging expensive meat products. They developed little pinholes after 5 years of heavy use. It's an acceptable wear item to me but they do have a stainless version available if that is unacceptable - for about $75.

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
5/23/16 3:48 p.m.

I trawled craigslist for months and ended up buying a spectacular all American made, all stainless, 5 burner AOG grill from some hotshot, corner office, best and brightest law firm partner.

I paid something like $600 and he'd paid well over $3k. A day of oven cleaner and brass brush and a new ignitor unit and I've got the last grill I'll ever buy.

The main 36" area has an infra-red burner and 2 conventional. There's another IR across the rear facing inward plus a side burner. I got a perfect char outside/medium-rare inside hanger steak first try.

So my vote per usual is CL or searchtempest for a range you're willing to drive and buying something WAY nicer than you'd ever consider new. We all do this with cars; why not grills?

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
5/23/16 4:27 p.m.

We got my dad a 3 burner Weber Genesis Gold with the stainless flavor bars back when I was in high school for Father's Day. That was over 16 years ago. The thing is still kicking butt! Only trouble he ever has was when his ignitor was acting up. He fixed that a while back. It still grilles as well as it did when he first got it.

My big box improvement store cheapie 3-burner grill is on it's second set of drip rails (which are rotting), second set of grates (also rotting), sometimes doesn't like to ignite all the burners, and is rusting apart. It's 6 years old this year, and this is likely it's last year.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/24/16 10:16 a.m.

Gotta go look at the Weber Genesis then.

Wife wants me to "Restore" the VC cause it's like "Part of the family", but NO, I got enough on my plate.

Thanks for the input one and all.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/24/16 10:36 a.m.

I totally splurged a few years back and bought a Weber Summit 600-series grill. I keep it under a porch roof. It has not degraded at all. There's a removable stainless tray under the burners that is a bit ungainly but otherwise a cinch to clean, as well as a nice big drip catch tray (I'm a baster). Cleans up to like new every time, and I never have to sit next to grill stink. Center sear station does just that, very well. Big enough grill space with enough burners that cooking for a crowd is a cinch, as is indirect cooking. Nice big box for wood chips with its own burner makes a really great amount of smoke.

Yeah, it was expensive. But Tim has certainly spent more on stupider stuff.

Margie

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/24/16 10:51 a.m.
Marjorie Suddard wrote: But Tim has certainly spent more on stupider stuff. Margie

I shall be chuckling all day long

Wife-unit just texted me to ask if I was OK with her buying a fire-pit. My exact words were "Like I have not bought dumber things, knock yourself out"

KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard DaughterDork
5/24/16 10:53 a.m.

I vote for the Weber Summit 600-series. But that's just because everything that's ever come off of it has been delicious.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
5/24/16 10:53 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Then you guys are doing it right. :)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BBwQXLAXlhGqiKdjRDncQ16MLF6cQIfZNUSLtn3zPVYxQEocqPAIaxzu84JVY8iN