1 ... 5 6 7 8
poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/30/08 1:43 p.m.

Quoted and edited:

ignorant wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I pretty much hate Social Distortion more than any band ever.
I'll bet you love fall out boy, new found glory, and texas is the reason..... don't worry.. cutters are sensitive people too..

Oh man, you're way off...though I do still have TITR's first 7" laying around somewhere. I was unaware they were still making music.

I don't hate SD so much as I berkeleying hate the sound of Mike Ness's voice. It's borderline 'unlistenable.' Couple that with the pseudo-"greaser"/pseudo-"post-punk" thing and it's just laughably awful to me. But to each his own. I know you and Hardy like to dress up like Betty Page and go to the rollerderby together, so SD's a natural fit for you.

EDIT: After reading the whole thread (sorry, I was in SC all weekend,) I'll point out a couple other things here:

• To whoever said the Ramones did punk and then punk was done, you need to get Minor Threat's 'complete discography' and hit yourself in the head with a berkeleying hammer.

• Monkeywrench had it right with Jawbreaker. I've seen them 4 times...once while I had chickenpox (ouch.) Jets to Brazil = not so much.

• Seann: If you think good Jazz died in the 70's, pick up a Bad Plus CD. You'll thank me. I'll second Charlie Hunter as well.

I'll toss in my votes for "best" in all genres here so I don't get anymore sickening comments from Ignorant:

ROCK:

• ACDC with Bon Scott.

• Sabbath with Ozzy. RJ DIO and his rainbowintherainbowwiththetigerandthewizardrainbowrainbow can suck it. Thanks for the horns. Now go away.

• Zeppelin (duh.)

• Van Halen (notice I didn't say Van Hagar.)

Indy/"alternative" (yuck.)

• Fugazi (duh.)

• Shudder To Think

• HUM

• Crownhate Ruin/Hoover

• Sunny Day Real Estate

• Cap'n Jazz

• POLVO (my personal favorite band of all time...evar.)

• Drive Like Jehu

• The Promise Ring

• Superchunk

• Jawbreaker

• Jawbox

• June of 44

• The motherberkeleying MINUTEMEN!!!

• Sonic Youth/Thurston Moore

PUNK ROCK

• Minor Threat

• The Circle Jerks

• Dead Kennedys

• Screeching Weasel

• Boris the Sprinkler

• Crimpshrine/Fifteen

JAZZ:

• Herbie motherberkeleyin Hancock. (if you haven't heard anything but "rockit," stop laughing and buy the complete Warner Brothers recordings.)

• Chick Corea and Return To Forever.

• George Duke w/Billy Cobham.

• The Bad Plus.

METAL:

• Metallica's 'And Justice For All' is still the best produced, best engineered metal record of all time IMO. Everything they've done since can be filed in the "butt-rock" drawer.

• Anthrax

• SLAYER (duh.)

• Maiden (duh.)

• Lamb of God/Burn the Priest. I thought Metal/Thrash were dead before hearing "As the Palaces Burn."

• Mastodon. Concept Album based on Moby Dick = Metal.

HIP HOP (read: rap for white people:)

• Hieroglyphics/Delthefunkyhomosapien.

• Tribe Called Quest/De La Soul (duh.)

• Gran Puba/Leaders of the New School. "2000" is genius.

• Dr. Octagon/Kool Keith/Black Elvis, etc.

• The ROOTS (best hip hop show I've ever seen.)

SOUL/R&B/FUNK/POP, ETC:

• James Brown (duh.)

• Tower of Power (greatest horn section/arrangement evar.)

• The METERS!!!!!!

• Stevie Wonder (duh.)

• Jamiroquai (laugh if you'd like, then buy 'Emergency on Planet Earth' and thank me.)

• The Cardigans

• Bjork

• Curtis Mayfield

• Shuggie Otis

• Isaac Hayes

ManofFewWords
ManofFewWords New Reader
7/30/08 3:32 p.m.

I smell a "holier than thou" odor...

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/30/08 3:36 p.m.
ManofFewWords wrote: I smell a "holier than thou" odor...

I showered. Honest. Maybe it's that "plus saint que le mille" aftershave I got for Christmas

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/30/08 3:48 p.m.

It happens %100 of the time when people start stating their opinions about music.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/30/08 3:55 p.m.
GlennS wrote: It happens %100 of the time when people start stating their opinions about music.

That's only because the music you listen to sucks.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/30/08 4:15 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
GlennS wrote: It happens %100 of the time when people start stating their opinions about music.
That's only because the music you listen to sucks.

Actualy ive spent a lot of time listening to the music i like and have come to the conclusion that i have the best taste in music of any person i have ever met ever. Therefor i find your claim laughable good sir. ha ha!

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/30/08 4:19 p.m.

That's the smell of greatness...or vodka and menthols.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/30/08 4:26 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I'll toss in my votes for "best" in all genres here so I don't get anymore sickening comments from Ignorant: ROCK: - ACDC with Bon Scott. - Sabbath with Ozzy. RJ DIO and his rainbowintherainbowwiththetigerandthewizardrainbowrainbow can suck it. Thanks for the horns. Now go away. - Zeppelin (duh.) - Van Halen (notice I didn't say Van Hagar.) Indy/"alternative" (yuck.) - Fugazi (duh.) - Shudder To Think - HUM - Crownhate Ruin/Hoover - Sunny Day Real Estate - Cap'n Jazz - POLVO (my personal favorite band of all time...evar.) - Drive Like Jehu - The Promise Ring - Superchunk - Jawbreaker - Jawbox - June of 44 - The motherberkeleying MINUTEMEN!!! - Sonic Youth/Thurston Moore PUNK ROCK - Minor Threat - The Circle Jerks - Dead Kennedys - Screeching Weasel - Boris the Sprinkler - Crimpshrine/Fifteen JAZZ: - Herbie motherberkeleyin Hancock. (if you haven't heard anything but "rockit," stop laughing and buy the complete Warner Brothers recordings.) - Chick Corea and Return To Forever. - George Duke w/Billy Cobham. - The Bad Plus. METAL: - Metallica's 'And Justice For All' is still the best produced, best engineered metal record of all time IMO. Everything they've done since can be filed in the "butt-rock" drawer. - Anthrax - SLAYER (duh.) - Maiden (duh.) - Lamb of God/Burn the Priest. I thought Metal/Thrash were dead before hearing "As the Palaces Burn." - Mastodon. Concept Album based on Moby Dick = Metal. HIP HOP (read: rap for white people:) - Hieroglyphics/Delthefunkyhomosapien. - Tribe Called Quest/De La Soul (duh.) - Gran Puba/Leaders of the New School. "2000" is genius. - Dr. Octagon/Kool Keith/Black Elvis, etc. - The ROOTS (best hip hop show I've ever seen.) SOUL/R&B/FUNK/POP, ETC: - James Brown (duh.) - Tower of Power (greatest horn section/arrangement evar.) - The METERS!!!!!! - Stevie Wonder (duh.) - Jamiroquai (laugh if you'd like, then buy 'Emergency on Planet Earth' and thank me.) - The Cardigans - Bjork - Curtis Mayfield - Shuggie Otis - Isaac Hayes

Damn, it's like you've been perusing my music library, although I'd add a few things to that list.

Rock:

Pretty much right on, except I can only take Van Halen in small doses, and pretty much only as a novelty. And I'll add T-Rex, although they really don't fit with the rest of them.

Indy/Alt. additions:

The Pixies (and Frank Black solo, hell, throw the Breeders in there too)

They Might Be Giants (yeah, I'm a nerd)

Cake

Supergrass

Elvis Costello

Ween

Primus

Punk additions:

Descendents

Misfits

Jazz additions:

Charlie Hunter Trio's first album

5ive Style (not really jazz, but kinda)

Django Reinhardt (once again, not totally jazz)

Metal additions:

GWAR

Melvins

Whatever category, I lost track:

Portishead

Early Slick Rick

I think that's all.

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/30/08 4:27 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
That's the smell of greatness...or vodka and menthols.

Same thing.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench New Reader
7/30/08 4:29 p.m.

I thought I was the only one that liked Cap'n Jazz

So this is what it feels like...when doves cry - Milhouse

You really have to add the Afghan Whigs to the post/alt/punk group. Greg Dulli was a little out there, but any guy who can turn a Supremes' song into a dark brooding alt rock song is okay in my book.

Jensenman,

Tom Waits has reinvented his style numerous times. Personally I'm a fan of his earlier stuff such as Closing Time and one of my all time favourite's Nighthawks at the Diner..

Here is a little bit of his earlier stuff which you can compare and contrast with what was already posted..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gniQVzWkczk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JqV8mpTfBHc

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4fW-UO80Sd0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xk1RmqPpk2w

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/30/08 5:31 p.m.

hmm greatest rock bands?

No mention of The Beatles, Rolling stones, CCR, Jimmy(technicaly not a band), Marley(reagie i guess), i could go on as greatest rock bands ever.

A seperate listing for metal but sabboth gets listed as rock.

Gwar being placed on any list but "most likely to drag you onto stage and feed you to a monster" ?

You guys have some unique opinions.

Salanis
Salanis Dork
7/30/08 6:23 p.m.

Just as long as no one starts listing soft-rock groups. You can't Soft-Rock Out. No child ever says, "When I grow up, I wanna be a Soft-Rock Star."

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/30/08 11:50 p.m.
Monkeywrench wrote:
seann wrote: The further you look back, the more biased your sample is. because as time passes we forget more and more of the crappy bands, we only remember the remarkable and time becomes more compressed. This is a big reason why it seems like music was so much better in the past. Jazz is the exception, it took a nose dive in the 70's and never recovered. But that's just my taste. but just for fun let me list off some post 76 stuff of my head that was great and hasn't been mentioned yet: Patti Smith: Easter / No one knew who Ian Mackaye was in 1976 / Neutral Milk Hotel: Airplane Over the Sea (Holy E36 M3 ) / Built to Spill \ Pavement \ Modest Mouse: Lonsome Crowded West \ Sleater Kinney: One Beat, All Hands on the Bad One \ TV on the Radio \ Broken Social Scene: You Forgot it in People \ The afformentioned early grunge and Radio Head I can't even count how many bands I've heard that are heavily influenced by some combo of Built to Spill and Modest Mouse and that's even before most knew who Modes Mouse was. I think there is alot of music that has come out in just the last 20 years that will stand the test of time. And there is so much more music that is accessible to us now with the internet, it's easier for bands to get heard.
+1 Rock was at it's greatest from the mid 80's to the middle/late 90's . I definitely grew up too late and missed almost all of it. Built to Spill (and Treepeople which predates BtS) Modest Mouse (before 'Good News..') Afghan Whigs Jawbox Jawbreaker Dinosaur Jr Mission of Burma Fugazi Husker Du Pavement Guided By Voices etc Alternative rock is now all but dead with all this dancibility quiet crap. Lyrically, MM and Jawbreaker are the two BEST. If you're into beat poetry and Bukowski you'll like them both. The greatest artist to come out of the 70's is Tom Waits

I love you guys.

Also, Built to Spill owes a big chunk of their sound to Dinosaur Jr.

Rock took a big hit in the late 90's (Limp Bizkit, Creed et al). It was amazing from 91-95, though.

Great stuff on the underground at the moment, but mainstream rock is hurting.

GlennS
GlennS HalfDork
7/30/08 11:59 p.m.

i think im a bit insulated from a lot of the crap rock that other people listen to as San Diego has a decent radio station that doesnt play creed or limp bizkit.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/31/08 6:47 a.m.

Dinosaur Jr rocks.. You guys rock for knowing that.

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
7/31/08 6:57 a.m.
GlennS wrote: hmm greatest rock bands? No mention of The Beatles, Rolling stones, CCR, Jimmy(technicaly not a band), Marley(reagie i guess), i could go on as greatest rock bands ever.

Go back and check the top of page three:

Wreckerboy wrote: Beatles broke up in 1970, post Abbey Road /end thread.
16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
7/31/08 7:22 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: Dinosaur Jr rocks.. You guys rock for knowing that.

For sure. Loudest live band EVER! Not to be confused with most ear-piercing, that title goes to Front 242. Loudest treble EVER! Ouch.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
7/31/08 10:08 a.m.
16vCorey wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: Dinosaur Jr rocks.. You guys rock for knowing that.
For sure. Loudest live band EVER! Not to be confused with most ear-piercing, that title goes to Front 242. Loudest treble EVER! Ouch.

This version of "Thumb"

http://mp3.rhapsody.com/dinosaurjr/whateverscoolwithme/thumblive

is one of my favorite guitar solos EVER. This song changed how I looked at playing guitar (at about the same time Smashing Pumpkins, Lush, My Bloody Valentine and Catherine Wheel turned me onto psychedelia)

For those not in the know, I implore you to spend the dollar and hear an amazing song.

seann
seann New Reader
7/31/08 10:44 a.m.

Ok I'll back pedal on the jazz thing a little bit. I like Jason Moran quite a bit, and Vandermark 5 are amazing. I haven't so much liked what I've heard from Charlie Hunter though.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
7/31/08 1:23 p.m.
seann wrote: Ok I'll back pedal on the jazz thing a little bit. I like Jason Moran quite a bit, and Vandermark 5 are amazing. I haven't so much liked what I've heard from Charlie Hunter though.

It's weird. For me, I always really dug the Charlie Hunter TRIO album, 'BING BING BING!' but could never put my finger on what was so unique about his playing...until I saw the group live on BET and went "where the hell is the bass player?" It took me a few minutes to figure out that he was actually playing an 8-string guitar (with two bass strings.)

Their cover over "Come as you are" is pretty rad. They use "Smells like teen spirit" as the 'rhythm' topped with the melody for 'come as you are.' There's a video of it on youtube but the sound is horrible.

Same thing happened with Rahsaan Roland Kirk - I couldn't figure out what made his sound so wild, listening to dubbed tapes. Then I bought some vinyl, looked in the sleeve and saw horns sticking out of every orifice. Some rad youtube stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JJmwq7KXQ

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/31/08 1:35 p.m.
This version of "Thumb" http://mp3.rhapsody.com/dinosaurjr/whateverscoolwithme/thumblive is one of my favorite guitar solos EVER. This song changed how I looked at playing guitar (at about the same time Smashing Pumpkins, Lush, My Bloody Valentine and Catherine Wheel turned me onto psychedelia) For those not in the know, I implore you to spend the dollar and hear an amazing song.

I'll see your "Thumb" and raise you a "Freak Scene" http://www.emusic.com/album/10859/10859782.html?fref=150051

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
7/31/08 3:48 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: Quoted and edited: - Jamiroquai (laugh if you'd like, then buy 'Emergency on Planet Earth' and thank me.)

Pick up Return of the Space Cowboy as well. Another classic. Traveling Without Moving and Synkronized were good also. They went downhill after that..

seann
seann New Reader
7/31/08 3:55 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
seann wrote: Ok I'll back pedal on the jazz thing a little bit. I like Jason Moran quite a bit, and Vandermark 5 are amazing. I haven't so much liked what I've heard from Charlie Hunter though.
It's weird. For me, I always really dug the Charlie Hunter TRIO album, 'BING BING BING!' but could never put my finger on what was so unique about his playing...until I saw the group live on BET and went "where the hell is the bass player?" It took me a few minutes to figure out that he was actually playing an 8-string guitar (with two bass strings.) Their cover over "Come as you are" is pretty rad. They use "Smells like teen spirit" as the 'rhythm' topped with the melody for 'come as you are.' There's a video of it on youtube but the sound is horrible. Same thing happened with Rahsaan Roland Kirk - I couldn't figure out what made his sound so wild, listening to dubbed tapes. Then I bought some vinyl, looked in the sleeve and saw horns sticking out of every orifice. Some rad youtube stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0JJmwq7KXQ

Love Roland Kirk!!!! Rip Rig and Panic is definitely one of my favorite albums. It doesn't hurt that Jackie Byard and Elvin Jones are in that band. Even if you ignore all the simultaneous multi instrimental stuff and circular breathing, the music stands alone as amazing.

Edit: just watched the video, it was awesome. That sounded a whole hell of a lot like McCoy Tyner on piano, did he record any studio albums with him? I love the quick slip into My Favorite Things.

Luke
Luke Dork
7/31/08 5:36 p.m.
Tim Baxter wrote:
This version of "Thumb" http://mp3.rhapsody.com/dinosaurjr/whateverscoolwithme/thumblive is one of my favorite guitar solos EVER. This song changed how I looked at playing guitar (at about the same time Smashing Pumpkins, Lush, My Bloody Valentine and Catherine Wheel turned me onto psychedelia) For those not in the know, I implore you to spend the dollar and hear an amazing song.
I'll see your "Thumb" and raise you a "Freak Scene" http://www.emusic.com/album/10859/10859782.html?fref=150051

A few months ago I found an excellent live Dinosaur Jr. recording posted on a blog. It was the whole set from an early show, and involved some amazing solos. Unfortunately I didn't save the link after downloading them.

You mentioned My Bloody Valentine. Here's a good link to some of their (free) live material: http://www.inkoma.com/pages/my_bloody_valentine.html There's also some cool, between-song banter amongst those tracks. Shields to the Drummer: "We can't afford a drum machine...keeps him off the streets though."

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench New Reader
7/31/08 5:58 p.m.
Luke wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote:
A few months ago I found an excellent live Dinosaur Jr. recording posted on a blog. It was the whole set from an early show, and involved some amazing solos. Unfortunately I didn't save the link after downloading them.

They tore it up on the Henry Rollins Show a few years back http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6WLkyxySA0

1 ... 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6NbYywjGRxfuqI8Owdj3OGgXZPQ145uJ1yo6g8pFPilXTLPayHNlYbHAjJ3p4bef