1 2 3
KatieSuddard
KatieSuddard Advertising Coordinator
10/11/18 1:00 p.m.

I've got a ukulele, though I can only play twinkle little star....

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/11/18 1:26 p.m.

In reply to KatieSuddard :

I anticipate a rendition akin to this version of Mary Had a Little Lamb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxR-vk0lelw

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/15/18 8:38 a.m.

Okay, next year we rock. \m/

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/15/18 10:05 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Berkeley yes! \m/

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
10/15/18 11:08 a.m.

Cool. One more reason I should come down and spectate.

David S. Wallens
10/15/18 4:47 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Berkeley yes! \m/

You know, before leaving home for the Challenge, I paused and wondered if I should bring a bass and an amp. The bass would easily fit. I didn't know if my GK would fit in the BRZ. My GK lives in the back of the closet since I use a smaller amp at home. I had worked later than expected and the clock was ticking. Since no one said that they were definitely bringing anything, I grabbed my stuff and left for Gainesville.

Hopefully next year we can all jam--doesn't have to be anything formal. Get something going and just have some fun. I'm in. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/16/18 6:25 a.m.

I'll do my best to get a travel capable drum kit put together for next year.  When would we try to insert music into the schedule?  Concours day probably, but before or after?  During I think we all have stuff to do.

I'm also up for anything from a completely loose jam session to learning a set list.  David and Pete, you both play bass right?  Do we have a guitarist?  If we did a setlist, a vocalist?

Examples of the type of music I typically play, not that I can't do other things but just for a general idea if we wanted to do something more formal.  I'll jam to whatever.

El Dorado - Every Time I Die

Whether Terrified or Unafraid - '68

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/18 7:28 a.m.

Wagon wheel!

I’d request at least some punk because I’m working on a sweet mohawk right now.  Maybe this can be the year I finally drag Gimp down, he’s a bassist in a real band and doesn’t just play alone in his bedroom like me

Pete Gossett
10/16/18 7:29 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I was thinking the pavilion at the track seems like the place to jam. Presuming the drags return next year, maybe we jam Friday evening while they’re going on? That would allow other competitors to join in before/after/between their passes, and the noise certainly wouldn’t be an issue. 

I’m down with learning some songs so we have someplace to start, but I’m equally ok with a 45-minute free-form space rock jam. I haven’t really played covers in years, and that was mostly classic rock/metal/prog stuff, so I’m good with whatever. I do sing some, but by no means have a great range. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/16/18 7:32 a.m.

If we want to get ambitious we can even write stuff- maybe write all our music at the hotel the night before, parking lot build style cheeky

David S. Wallens
10/16/18 9:01 a.m.

Yeah, time is tight for me, too, since I'm involved on both ends of the event. I can play guitar, too, but nothing special. If we do power chords and maybe some spaghetti Western stuff, I'm in. I admit that I'm more comfortable playing bass, though. Guess I have a year to work on my chops. 

David S. Wallens
10/16/18 9:01 a.m.

Poopy is a real guitarist, though. I once paid money to see him play. 

Pete Gossett
10/16/18 10:32 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

If we want to get ambitious we can even write stuff- maybe write all our music at the hotel the night before, parking lot build style cheeky

That sounds like a perfect idea!

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/18 4:31 p.m.

Next year I can ensure that we rock, the special guest was busy this year and I muddled around with 2 cars in the weeks prior when I should've just brought the EGT. Next year I'll have the EGT and 323 ready and we'll run. 

pkingham
pkingham GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/16/18 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

There is something about the Challenge that seems to replace the Easy button with a Hard button, but you guys push the button anyway!

captdownshift
10/16/18 6:36 p.m.

Ampwise my teammate will have a mombo full of gear, and establishing a semi formal location/time and requiring banquet tickets would likely be a good idea. 

David S. Wallens
10/19/18 11:26 a.m.

My idea, and this isn't official or anything. Saturday is definitely the hang-out day as everyone gets to chill, catch up and look at cars. I'd love to see more grilling and chilling--and, perhaps, with some music going on at the same time. Not a concert that prevents people from talking. Just a jam session somewhere that people can check out. 

captdownshift
10/28/18 7:07 p.m.

What I have planned is in part for you, in addition to those who attend. If I had any doubts that you won't enjoy it, I wouldn't be cryptic about it. It ALMOST happened in 2017, but I wasn't physically able to make it. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/29/18 12:37 p.m.
spin_out said:

Music on the move?

Hm. Might have to be a theme for a future year. Not sure how the cones or course workers will like all the spikes though. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
8/9/19 8:13 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Okay, next year we rock. \m/

Bump.  Is this still on?

I'm trying to figure out my challenge plan for this year, and whether or not I'm bringing a drum set has a serious impact on my vehicle options cheeky

Pete Gossett
8/9/19 9:22 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

See here, but I’m calling that a “yes” - unless people back out. But it sounds like we at least have drums(you), guitar(Antihero), and bass(me). So that sounds like the start of something!

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/9/19 4:32 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

See here, but I’m calling that a “yes” - unless people back out. But it sounds like we at least have drums(you), guitar(Antihero), and bass(me). So that sounds like the start of something!

Improv trio ala Cream? 

Plus some added sax in places?

Pete Gossett
8/9/19 7:13 p.m.

In reply to Antihero :

Sounds like a plan to me! 

David S. Wallens
10/1/19 3:37 p.m.

Okay, I'll throw a bass and amp in the car--and maybe a guitar, too. n

During the concours? The only thing is that we need to keep the volume inside the pavilion reasonable. So that means low volume or we rock out somewhere else--figure we have acres and acres. Guess I'll bring an extension cord, too. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
10/1/19 4:11 p.m.

My vote is "somewhere else" since drums/cymbals don't have a volume knob.  Also I'm competing and will be presenting my concours vehicle so... I'm the difficult one for two reasons now.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ExomuNPUHgxgoHBfzGYmafj1GGOdFdOdpaq1p3rZvXLO34gxWCUVWDCjE4Nmcj5D