carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/27/11 2:52 p.m.

Any of you using the Rockmelt browser?

One of their claims to fame is integration of Facebook, Twitter, whatever.

Another is speed.

What caught my eye was that it was available for iPhone, iPad, Android, etc and you could sync all of them.

I got rid of my iPad because it wouldn't synch with Firefox and the Mail program. This would solve one of my synching problems.

http://www.rockmelt.com/?ref=fb#

Well after fooling around with the instructions it appears to just be a different way to view your Facebook et al pages

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/11 3:10 p.m.

What mail program wouldn't it sync with?

Just add whatever e-mail accounts you have into the built-in mail program and leave the mail on the server. For archiving you'd still need a full mail client. Of course the Comcast webmail site doesn't work because they can't program to save their lives, so you have to use their app or use the built-in mail app.

Syncing with Firefox is possible via iTunes, but it is a bit convoluted (you have to sync between IE and Firefox and then sync IE settings with iTunes/iPad) Generally, it doesn't matter too much as most of my favorite sites are already in my iGoogle page or on the RSS feed (or memorized because I go there so often)

I'll have to check out rockmelt, not for the FB integration, but just as a tech exercise :)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde HalfDork
12/27/11 3:43 p.m.

ehh..I looked at it last year but it really seemed to be one big FB skin. Something I don;t need

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/27/11 3:57 p.m.

MAIL took a giant leap backwards on the iPad - shades of 1990! With iCloud you can't use smart mailboxes, rules, multiple signatures (ie. business & personal), junk mail filtering, etc.

This means any synching I do to my computer gets screwed up.

It also always has the top email open. I can't have that. In my business I can't have the potential for a client's personal information to be accidentally seen by someone.

I don't like the interfaces of the web email and so far they have no provisions for alternative email programs - how MS of them.

iGoogle?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/11 4:24 p.m.

Try ibis mail - I use the free version on my iPhone as an alternative email client and if/when I'll get an iPad I'll spring the cash for the full version.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/27/11 4:36 p.m.

Hmmm ibis mail looks pretty good. It eliminates almost all of the Mail complaints I had. Now a major requirement!! can I just see a list of emails rather than having the program automatically open the top email?

On the iPhone do I have to let it receive all my emails before I can send an email? I don't currently receive mail on my iPhone due to that one issue. When you get 300+ emails a day that means you are always waiting and can't ever send an email.

Too bad I've already taken the iPad back (rumor is the iPad3 and iPhone5 will be out late summer with a host of new features and new processor).

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/27/11 5:54 p.m.

carguy, the iPad isn't meant for multiple users or business laptop replacement. So there is part of your issue.

Rules and etc can be handled by the server. I have several rules setup in my gmail account and I can access those folders via the mail app without issues. If the mail is already in the folders, the mail app handles them pretty well.

Also, have the device lock and no one can access the device unless they enter the proper code. Works for me and if used for business it should be enabled by default.

Sounds like the device isn't really adaptable to your business needs. Luckily there are other devices around that can perform those tasks (look at some of the Windows tablets)

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
12/27/11 9:24 p.m.

While I will be using my iPad as a partial business laptop replacement, I just want to carry the internet, email and contacts with me. Actually quite basic modern day computing, not business level by any means.

The fact that I can build & carry all my weekly newsletters/articles and can throw away that big old box of old issues that are good for new customers is a plus. Pages is actually better on the iPad than on a computer. It's easier and has more functions. Plus Pages opens and saves in virtually all formats businesses use so therefore I can manipulate just about anything someone can send my way and send it back in a way they can use it too.

Oh wait, you can't print from the iPad. You can only print from a special printer using a special protocol that virtually no one has in there home or office (unless they have an iPad) and therefore I still have to lug around a box full of old newsletters/articles. This means email becomes critical.

I'm not concerned necessarily with other people, I used the codes, it's the fact that when I open the Mail program an email is already displayed.

But I have to question why Apple took such a giant step backwards in the way mail is handled since smart mailboxes, hell multiple mailboxes and multiple signatures, rules and spam filtering is such a basic part of every Mail type program out there. It's not that there isn't the computing power, it's they chose not to do so. WHY?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8nYf65oRH8b92nF0oFkf6iAn6ZZF7OPHcC4pkppPvyqPJAWnxHwCDQQV6mtiLysL